Now that I'm here, what do I do?

Spade

Newly Enlightened
Some background:

Bought a bunch of original ARCs, including numberous AAAs, AA, LSHs, LSHPs, and finally the Arc 4. I sold most of them at a time when they were selling for quite a bit more than I paid. I still have a few originals, but converted to a few Surefire lights (L1 & L2) and a single HDS EDC.

I'm in the store two days ago and start playing with a new E1L, and suddenly realize everything has changed. I knew it would, but not so much so quickly. I brought the light home and compared it to its worthy pioneer ancestors. I shouldn't have done that.

The questions is, what do I do with my super old L1? Is there a market for these things? I don't see conversion heads out there for the L1, and it's way bigger than the modern ones. Ideally, I would love to somehow trade up to the new one, but I have feeling that isn't going to happen any time soon.

I'm fine with the L2 the way it is, but I don't really have any need for the blue HDS light now that I have the brighter, whiter and generally more useful E1L.

I used to know my way around here. I don't even understand the lingo anymore! Shame on me.

Dare I say it's good to be back?

Again, what do I do with the Old L1 and HDS lights? Is there still a secondary market for the old colored CPF edition AAA arcs? How about the AA?

Thanks.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Again, what do I do with the Old L1 and HDS lights? Is there still a secondary market for the old colored CPF edition AAA arcs? How about the AA?

Thanks.

Send the L1 to Milkyspit. Tell him to do the Creemator mod and add an R2 emitter to the light.

You'll be happy. ;)

Bill

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
List your L1 over in the Marketplace if you don't want to mod it - I'm sure it will get picked up... How old is it? Do you know the output/runtimes?

Also, the older L1s with those killer runtimes are always good to keep around as battery vampires...

Spade

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions. The Milkyspit lights look pretty cool.

The runtime on the L1 is not anything special. I think I get about an hour on high. I think the module is a Luxeon 1W. Beam is diamond-shaped with two noticeable lines where the traces obstruct the light. The optic is similar to what PG used in the Arc LS.

With this E1L, I get 8.5 hours of runtime on high. It just blows everything else I own out of the water. I am a big fan of the L2 flood. It will light up the whole back yard if I need to.

Thanks for the input. Feel free to add if you have any other ideas.

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also definitely a market for HDS lights. A simple LED upgrade typically doubles their output, and much better tints are available today.

Arc LS series are still popular, again a simple LED change doubles the output, and changing to a reflector improves the beam IMO. Yes, it's still a 1-level light without extensive mods.