Best Light $50???

tylergalt

Newly Enlightened
I just joined the forum... Since I am on a fairly strict budget, what light should I get for $50 or less... I need it for general use like camping. Preferably, I am looking for something small that I can carry everyday but, that is more powerful than my keychain Led light...

thanks in advance...

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
Task Force "60x Brighter" 2xC LED flashlight $30 from Lowes. It is extremely bright with amazing throw, and takes 2C batteries. It will easily fit in your pocket, and runs for hours on one set of batteries.

:welcome:

kindred_spirits

Newly Enlightened
9 dollars more, and you can get a Nitecore D10/EX10. Best lights in that price range, in my opinion.

mdocod

Flashaholic
Hi tylergalt, Welcome to CPF:

Try to expand on your desires a little further:

Switch type? clicky? tailcap? side body? twisty?
Multimode? Single-mode?
battery type? AA, CR123, li-ion, something else, rechargeable or non-rechargeable? 1 cell? 2 cell? more?
Beam pattern? throwy? floody? nice blend?
runtime requirements? 30 minutes? 60 hours? (sometimes you can have the best of both worlds with a multi-mode if you don't mind dealing with a more complicated interface)
What size do you consider small enough for EDC? this varies heavily from person to person...

--------------------------------

If I had to just throw out a random recommendation for around $50, I think it would be the Fenix L2D Q5, with CPF discounts at various places, you should be able to get it for around $50, plus some shipping cost. Or an Eagletac P10A2, which would probably be a little over $50.

Eric

Gunner12

Flashaholic

mdocod's questions would help narrow down the selection of light.

I'd suggest looking at the Fenix lights, the Kingpower lights, and maybe at lower price(under $30) lights.

Task Force "60x Brighter" 2xC LED flashlight $30 from Lowes...

That can be a bit big for EDC.

tylergalt

Newly Enlightened
Wow.. you guys are impressive... I'll try my best to answer the questions...

Switch type: I guess it doesn't really matter. Should I care about this or is it a matter of personal preference (ie. do twist-switch lights have a tendency to leak)

Multimode: Yes. so I can save on power when I need to find my glasses in the tent and so I can go high power and find my glasses when I drop them in the woods or scare the crap out of a bear. I don't think that a strobe function is that important...

battery type: Preferably something that I can get in a store readily available (AA or AAA)... something that takes the larger batteries is a bit too large for EDC or thrown in a pack...

Beam pattern: nice blend of both

runtime requirements: something that doesn't die on high power after 20 minutes or so... I guess a multi function would be best here..

What size do you consider small enough for EDC: As I am a newbie, Ill use some old school comparisons. preferably something in the realm of mini mag lite or smaller...

again.. thank you in advance

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix L2T will probably fit your needs.AA batteries,low-high with decent runtimes.The L2T is close to the size of the Mini-Mag but much brighter.Keep in mind high-power AA LED lights work best with NiMH rechargables or Energizer lithiums.Alkalines do work but not as well.
My favorite $50 light is the INOVA T1(2008) but it is single stage and requires CR123 batteries,still runtime is around four hours.I like the form facter of the T1 and the "warmer" tint it provides compared to most LEDs.

Links:

http://www.lighthound.com/Fenix-L2T-v2-Cree-Q2-LED-Digital-2xAA-flashlight_p_76-374.html

http://www.batteryjunction.com/2008-t1-inova.html

I almost forgot, :welcome:

Last edited:

mdocod

Flashaholic
Based on the more detailed criteria laid forth, I will hold steady on my original suggestions :)

Stay away from 1xAA powered pocket rockets if you want to run on alkaline cells, most 2AA LED lights will perform reasonably well on alkaline cells, especially on the lower modes, you can still expect poor runtime on alkaline cells on the highest output settings of the more advanced LED lights out there. (around an hour on the highest setting, more or less depending on which light is in question, etc etc).

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi tylergalt, :welcome:
It may be very helpful if you could head to this link https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/96884 fill in the checklist and cut and paste it in a reply here for more detailed information. This would help the others to give you more recommendations.

But based on the information you provided, I would recommend an Ultrafire C3 to start, it is a 1 x AA light but with an extension tube it can be a 2 x AA light about the size of a minimag. Think it's going for under $30.00 so that would give you some change to get 4x rechargeables and a battery so you would have spare cells. In a pinch, primary AAs are easily available.

Runtimes on rechargeable Sanyo 2000 mAh eneloops was more than 3 hours before the light got dimmer and close to 4 hours it was dimmer but still useable light especially in dark conditions.

I have sent you a PM with details on the light and availability, read the reviews on that light, they are pretty good reviews all round. Also, you can go to this other site that reviews flashlights and take a look there too.

Sector7

Enlightened
You can score a good deal in the Marketplace for Nitecores or Fenix L2D well with in your price parameters just like Bluecrow76 mentioned.

cerbie

Enlightened
Disclaimer: tl;dr

Also, for comparison:
A 2AA Mag with fresh Alkalines puts out about 9 lumens
A 60 Watt incandescent light bulb is typically rated at around 700 lumens
Fenix and Nitecore's output claims are not directly comparable.
Wow.. you guys are impressive... I'll try my best to answer the questions...

Switch type: I guess it doesn't really matter. Should I care about this or is it a matter of personal preference (ie. do twist-switch lights have a tendency to leak)
Preference. Most torches we'd recommend have O-rings ahead of threads, and fall in the "dunkable" category of waterproof.
Twisty is self-explanatory.
Reverse-clicky are the kind that flip when you release (most Chinese ones, since that kind of switch is more reliable, physically smaller, and cheaper for a given cost).
Forward-clicky are the kind that flip when you press (C/D Maglite, FI); a tail-cap forward clicky switch is called a, "tactical switch," in marketing-speak.
Piston Drive (like the Nitecore D10) refers to having the battery tube inside the body, where you push the tube (and/or twist the head, doing the same thing) to operate. Here's the D10 half-apart. It was invented by some crazy guy who likes to take pictures of titanium objects under the ocean. :nana: It's generally physically harder to push than a switch in the tail.

Multimode: Yes. so I can save on power when I need to find my glasses in the tent and so I can go high power and find my glasses when I drop them in the woods or scare the crap out of a bear. I don't think that a strobe function is that important...
Nitecore's D10 will get really really low. Like a Mag incan 2AA after an hour, but with a nice beam, for a long time (1-3 days?). Fenix's LxD and LDx0 should give you about what the 2AA Mag offers with fresh batteries as the lowest, for something like 10-15 hours on Alkalines (actually much more efficient than the Nitecore, but possibly too bright for night-adapted eyes).

battery type: Preferably something that I can get in a store readily available (AA or AAA)... something that takes the larger batteries is a bit too large for EDC or thrown in a pack...

Beam pattern: nice blend of both

runtime requirements: something that doesn't die on high power after 20 minutes or so... I guess a multi function would be best here.
:crackup::hahaha::duck:
I had to.

Most of what you can find either under $50 or at least $60 (the dollar, and fuel costs, you know), that we'd recommend, will typically give you 10-20% of the visible light from a 60-watt light bulb for 1-4 hours (1-2 hours being typical for 1AA). You will not be disappointed in the output you'll get.

I think Fenix and Nitecore offer the best overall value, and can be had at 4sevens.com. Use "CPF8" for 8% off :).

But see, there's batteries to be concerned with.
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/fenix_l1dce-l2dce.htm
An older Fenix Digital series review. See the Alkaline performance on medium, high, and max, those graphs? That will be typical of other torches, as well. As you can see, with regular use, NIMH is a sweet way to go. Meanwhile, if you use it lightly, but want high a lot, Lithium cells are quite cost-effective. Also, don't expect even that good of performance from dollar store type Alkalines (I'm fond of Dollar General AAs, at a quarter a piece). Great for remotes; bad for torches.
What size do you consider small enough for EDC: As I am a newbie, Ill use some old school comparisons. preferably something in the realm of mini mag lite or smaller...

again.. thank you in advance
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/209086
The D10 (recommended already) is in the first pic there, along with a Fenix L2D, and Mag mini.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/209470
Here you can see the D10 against current Fenixes. Go to post #15 for comparison shots that you can use against the D10 and L2D in the above Nitecore review link.

IMO, 1AA size, especially with NIMH cells, offers the best balance of easily available cells when you need them, total light output potential, good runtime on low modes, and ability to toss in a pack or pocket. 2AA comes next, with typically higher maximum output, and double or so low run times. You also tend to get bodies with varying diameter along their lengths, aiding in one-handed use.

Based on your requirements, and Fenix finally making good body designs, the Nitecore D10 and the Fenix LD10/LD20 (same head and tail, different body tube) are probably your best bets, or used, getting a Fenix L1D/L2D (IMO, the body design changes would be the worth the "new" cost, owning and regularly using a L2D-CE). If you're out camping, and have dark-adjusted eyes, though, the Nitecore has an edge. It is less efficient (see the ouput-matched run times in selfbuilt's D20 review), but has a very very low low mode. I find 5-10 lumens to be too bright when I walk around lit houses, with occasional street lamps.

I think both use equally good/poor user interfaces.

If, when you say camping, you mean having mostly moon light at night to work under, then get the Nitecore D10. If you will be in crappily-lit camp grounds, where you can't see because there' too much light for your eyes to go into night mode, go Fenix. If you're already friendly with NIMH, then just get the Nitecore and don't worry about it, since you won't be trashing the cells very often.

Now, if you're really not picky, Inova's X1 can be had for $21 at about any Target, and will give 10 or so lumens for 2-3 hours on NIMH or Lithium, with a gradual output drop for 1.5-3 hours on Alkaline (seems to vary a lot). I would worry that it sucks batteries too quickly (IE, Fenix's L1D and LD10 will put out about the same amount for well over 10 hours on Alkaline, and 20+ on LSD NIMH). Mine has never used anything but a 2500mAh NIMH. Built like a tank, 1AA, and with some of the worst electronics out there. The 2AA Bolt isn't bad, but by $30-40, you may as well go for multimode torches that get much brighter and much dimmer.

D10, L1D, and L2D torches have been popping up for $50 and under on the CPF Marketplace recently, so once you have an idea of what to go for, register there, and check out the lights sell forum regularly. If looking for used, be on the lookout for L1T 2.0 and L2T 2.0, as well (the 2.0 is kind of important for a good high mode). These had only low and high. Not having SOS or strobe, they were pretty popular, and don't seem to go up for sale as much as the D-series.

If it matters to you, the Nitecores have an optional pocket clip, and it will be included at some point (the D10 ones just got to 4sevens a day or two ago, so this is all new stuff).

FYI, you'll see P4, Q2, and Q5 pop up a lot. Cree XR-E LEDs use a letter+number code for brightness bin (think of processor speed; not all of them perform equally well, even being the same thing). Those three were widely available bright bins. Q5 is current, and brighter than Q2, which is brighter than P4, etc.. The ones in between didn't get tons of use. Easy enough. But, then, Seoul Semiconductor calls a whole series of current power LEDs P4! Argh! So when you see "SSC P4", or Seoul references, they are talking about those. Most cheaper torches that we talk about use Cree's XR-E, though.

When I started to organize it, I was taking it from a long ramble into an even longer essay, so be just be glad I stopped and hit submit :).

Good luck!

Last edited:

secureone

Newly Enlightened
Streamlight scorpion xenon best light for $40 in my opinion but i really dont have that much experiance with other lights.

mr.vu

Newly Enlightened
Another suggestion for the L2D and L2T. L2D has more output levels, reverse clicky. L2T simpler UI and forward clicky.

You'll get much better runtimes on high with NiMH batteries over alkaline. Plus they're more eco friendly.

Wattnot

Enlightened
Hey, you found your way here and you want a small powerhouse. Dump the alkalines and the two AA lights and just get a Fenix P2D. We can show you where you can buy good CR123 online batteries for around a buck a piece.

Head on over to this store and buy a P2D Q5 Premium in black or olive. Use discount code CPF8 for an 8% discount, putting the light right around your range. You'll love it. Except for a couple of G2's I accidentally bought a few years ago (I say accidentally because I didn't know any better at the time) the P2D was my first "real" light and I still EDC it most of the time.

spectrak

Newly Enlightened
my vote is for the olight t1o very bright for its size low mode rated for 50 hours run time easy ui my only complaint with it is it should ramp up low to high instead of high to low

Latest posts