The *official* top ten flashlights that every flashaholic should own!

bwcaw

Enlightened
For the *offcial* top ten scroll to the bottom of the page. And thanks to all the CPF'ers that voted on their favorite lights!
grin.gif

Kirk

Enlightened
Hey BigWuss!
You asked the wrong guy this question. I like both old and new lights, so here's my list:

1. Any sealed-beam lantern that uses one of those big bulky 6 volt batteries. Just because they are so cool and "nobody" uses them anymore.
2. A 2-D Maglite--just for "reference" purposes, of course
3. Photon Microlite--perfect for EDC
4. Brinkmann LX--a great "starter" lithium light
5. Any Surefire--a great "finisher" lithium light
6. Pal-light--love the always-on light
7. Any old, bubble-lens light--just to show how far we've come in 70+ years
8. Any 12-volt, cigarette lighter-powered spotlight because of its "unlimited" battery life. I prefer my Coleman Nightsight spotlight with its 8" reflector

There's my list. I could go on, but my tastes lean towards antique/vintage "collectables"

Kirk

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I would add:

UKE 2L: Smallest, lightest, brightest, longest burning, toughest waterproof and all-round best utility light. After more than ten years on the market it is still unique and unmatched by any other light in its constellation of features.

ASP TRIAD/TACLITE: Brightest, longest throw 2x123 light on the market; far brighter than any other 2x123 light including the Surefire M2. Unique "set it and forget it" internal focusing (Taclite "A").

TACM III: Virtually tied with the ASP for longest throw 2x123, though with a less perfect beam and Delrin waterproof body. At 3.8oz with batteries it is lighter the the Surefire G2, just slightly heavier than the E2, and significantly brighter than either.

SUREFIRE D3 with SRTH 2.5" Turbohead and N2: The
brightest, lightest, smallest ultra long throw light in its class that is currently available. It is the only light of its size and weight that matches the UltraStinger, even when the US is stopped down to its tightest focus.

SUREFIRE D3 with P91: With its surprisingly massive beam this light is a true "Junior M6", and at only 6.5" long and 6.7oz it is the virtual equivalent of the M3 at a fraction of its size and weight.

ARC AAA LE: Even though this light in its various incarnations will be on everyone's list, it must be stated once again that this a true "classic"; a unique, innovative light that is one of the leaders in the modern evolution of portable lighting.

Brightnorm

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Why ten? Why not thirty???!!!

Just kidding. I have recently downsized my personal collection and believe one should have lights in at least the categories of Very Bright Incandescent (one big, one little), Very Bright LED (again one big and one small), and a pocket/keychain light. Along with a KNIFE w/light...

This is what I have:

1) Lemlux-modified DB4AA using 6x123

2) Several small lithium/xenon lights (Scorpion, TACM III, Legend LX)

3) Lambda Hydra

4) LGI, Arc-SLS, Illuminator, Ill Pill

5) Photon II, X, ASP Aspen, $2 China clones, and you-name-it

6) Tool Logic SL-1 w/integrated Arc AAA

...and the ever-present "billyuns and billyuns of batteries"...

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Top 10:

</font><ul type="square">[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">SureFire E2/E2e (best incandescent EDC)</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Arc LS w/123 battery pack (best LED EDC)</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">PT Surge (for brightest/least expensive AA light)</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Opalec Newbeam (for coolest REGULATED LED light)</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">SureFire (any) 3 cell with SRTH-Turbo head for compact brightness)</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Arc AAA LE (for best keychain carry) </font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">SureFire M6 or M4 (for ultimate brightness)</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">SureFire E1e (for smallest incandescent of it's brightness)</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Dorcy Cool Blue (for long LED battery life)</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">StreamLight Ultra Stinger (best rechargeble)
</font>[/list]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
My top 10 production light choices:

- McCulloch X990 HID
- SF M6
- UKE LC100 HID
- Any 2-cell SF
- Arc LS
- Inova X5T
- Eternalight Elite XRay
- Eternalight Rave'n2 (for fun)
- Arc AAA
- Inova Microlight OR Avexa Freelight (its a tie!)

Saaby

Flashaholic
I'd have to say that every flashaholic should own...

</font><ul type="square">[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Arc LS--I don't have one but I am sure it's like the AAA...as good as everyone says it is...better in fact!</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Arc AAA </font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Mag solitare--so you have something to throw at the wall when you get your Arc</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Surefire E2 or E2E</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">A double barrel of some sort...modified</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Energizer folding LED, it really is a useful light!</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Eternalight X-Ray or Rav'n. No just kidding, X-Ray</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Mag C or D or something--Gotta love that new focus system!</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">1 million spot or something to that effect</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Energizer 2 piece plastic flashlight
grin.gif

</font>[/list]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, here are my votes:

Arc AAA
Arc LS
Surefire E2 or E2e
UK 2L
PT Surge
Freelight
Surefire M4 or M6

Graham

Big Tex

Enlightened
UltraStinger
SureFire E-2
SureFire E-1
PT Surge
Inova X-5
Arc AAA
Arc LS
SureFire 3 cell w/SRTH/LPS TurboHead
Uke 2L
Scorpion

Starlight

Enlightened
I'd have to say that every flashaholic should own...

1. Lambda ill pill (enough said)
2. Lambda E1e-LS (yes I do)
3. ASP Tac-lite (Brightest, longest throw 2x123 light on the market)
4. PT Surge (for brightest/least expensive 8AA light)
5. Ikelite PCa (for brightest/least expensive 6AA light)
6. Arc LS (everyone knows why)
7. Arc AAA (everyone knows why)
8. Surefire E2e-HA (brightest light for its size)
9. Surefire E1e-HA (brightest pocket size light)
10. Pal-light (love the always-on)

battman

Newly Enlightened
10 lights is a nice round number for the true flashaholic, but what about us newbies? I say the basics could be covered with 5 lights- 2 LEDs & 2 incandescents (short & long range for each) plus 1 keychain light. Maybe this should be a different post...the HORROR of narrowing down your collection to the TOP 5! Too Scary?

bwcaw

Enlightened
Originally posted by battman:
10 lights is a nice round number for the true flashaholic, but what about us newbies? I say the basics could be covered with 5 lights- 2 LEDs & 2 incandescents (short & long range for each) plus 1 keychain light. Maybe this should be a different post...the HORROR of narrowing down your collection to the TOP 5! Too Scary?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I agree with you wholeheartedly(wow that's a long word!). In fact I might figure out what the 2 most popular incandecents, and LED lights are, and add in the Arc AAA for the keychain light, and you will have your "top 5 for Newbies" list.
I think I can probobly guess which lights will be on that list: </font><ul type="square">[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">E2e or E2,for the brightest light in the smallest package. </font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">either the Ultrastinger, or Priceton Tec Surge, for when you need a LOT of light. </font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The Arc LS (DOH!) </font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">And the Eternalight X-ray elite for the coolest LED light out there. </font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">And of course the Arc AAA/ AAA LE for the keychain light. </font>[/list]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I will bet good money that the most popular light of all the excellent lights here will be the Arc AAA/ AAA LE.
grin.gif

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I will try to focus on price...~bang for the buck...~cool factor.

BASICS

1: Clip Light $15, 3 led, crome reflector area, good bright for the buck bang.

2: Free Light $20~25 no batt replacement make this cheap to run. High cool factor.

3: Energiser LED Folding light $10 nice area light.

4: Photon 3 red $20~25 (around neck) runs forever.

5: Maglite 3 "D" $20 able to use differant bulbs.

AFTER THE BASICS

6: AAA ARC I don`t beleive I need to comment.

7: Ultra when you have more room and need a longer run time than the Arc, can use lithium.

8: LS still waiting for the right one.

AFTER WINNING LOTTO

9: SureFire (be ready to spend you winnings on batts and bulbs).

10: Hid (might have to take a mortgage out on your home as well).

Ken

Saaby

Flashaholic
Ken seriously, the Arc AAA should be up with the Bang for your Buck list. Show me a better light for $20, and that uses common AAA batteries at that!

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Saaby, I was wondering how long it would take for someone to question this.

The Clip light beats it in terms of bright/price.

The Free light beats it in terms of running cost, allows us to play with the light all we want to satisfy the kid in us...when it dims just stick it out in the sun and your ready to play again.

The red Photon 3 gives a much longer run time for emergencys, stuck in the elevator for a couple days...were`s the bathroom.

The AAA Arc is the darling of the CPF and I admit it does makes a great fingernail file. It did make my to ten list too. If quality for the buck had been in my program it would have come in #1
wink.gif

Ken

BON

Newly Enlightened
I observe a CR123A battery for an emergency.

1. Lambda EmergencyIlluminator --As a LED, it is a very bright light--
2. Arc-LS --Small bright light--
3. Scorpion --A large beam and waterproof ability--
4. Panasonic BF338 --It can attach anywhere with a clip--
5. Panasonic BF958 --It is lightly small with a keychain--

BON
flashlight_en.gif
http://www.flashlight-fan.com/

Bob Snow

Newly Enlightened
Glow Ring or Krill light

Photon Microlight
Arc AAA
Inova X5
Arc LS
Eternalight

Streamlight Scorpion
Surefire E2
PT Surge
Streamlight Ultrastinger

aso

Enlightened
You should add the Freeplay light to this list, never needs batteries, doesn't need to a light source to light up. The ultimate emergency light.

You should also add the LW4000. It has longer battery life(by a great margin) than the LS, and to my eyes makes a better area light than the LS.