M2 bezel vs. non shock isolated bezel

signal 13

Enlightened
I recently ordered what was supposed to be a M2 bezel from Surefire. They sent me the Z44 bezel, which is NOT the M2 shock isolated bezel. I am putting together a 1x18650 Leef Body + Malkoff M30 and was hoping to use the M2 bezel.

I'm thinking about just keeping the Z44. After all, I have had a SF P60L take a dump after taking a 3' fall with a non-shock isolated bezel and I've also lost a LF HO-M3 while using a shock isolated bezel.

I guess if it's gonna happen, it's gonna happen. Is a shock isolated bezel that big of a deal?

dougie

Enlightened
The shock isolation only works on a fore/aft plane and not laterally as it was designed to prevent unnecessary shock to an incandescent filament by recoil. In the case of a LED it is both unnecessary and potentially harmful to the LED by reducing the thermal pathway that needs to exist between the LED lamp module and the bezel and flashlight body. Provided that the bezel survives an impact without major distortion and the LED module is from a reputable manufacturer it will survive most drops without failure.

Of course nothing is likely to survive major damage without problems but unless you work at great heights LED's are very, very, reliable. So in answer to your question the shock isolation for a LED module is not necessary.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
IMHO the M2 bezel does offer some vibration and impact damping in all axis, but more in the fore/aft directions. I'm not about to test it though, so my opinions are just based on understanding the mechanics of the assembly.

You can kind of see how it works in my vid...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WunPPjKOb3U

An LED circuit can be just as susceptible to shock impact as incandescent. I have a really solid and hefty feeling Inova to prove it. It now behaves more like a flickering candle than a flashlight after just one drop:candle:. So depending on how abusive you are it could be a worthy investment. While the LED emitter is more robust than an incan filament, the added circuitry of a regulated LED light adds complexity and increases potential for a failure. Compared to an unregulated/direct drive incan.

There are thermal limitations to the M2 bezel that make it only moderately suitable to host an LED. The foam rubber component in the bezel traps heat, so if you are running a high current module you run the risk of overheating the emitter. Periodically I use a solarforce multi mode in mine It draws 150/350/650 mah. I like using the lower two modes (40/80 Lumens) to keep emitter temps down. But I usually use it as an incan host, the way Paul Kim designed it:twothumbs.

How well the M30 works really depends on how much heat the emitter creates.

The other thing you have to watch out for is the foam/rubber sleeve in the bezel does NOT create a SOLID/rigid contact between the pill and body. So I have to retain the large outer-spring on my solarforce module. That further (IMHO) limits the amount of thermal cooling.

IMHO you are better off using a different bezel if you are running high a high current LED. But an M60LL (those draw... what?.. around 200 mah?) would be right at home in the M2 IMHO.

Last edited:

Size15's

Flashaholic
In my experience the M2 bezel does an amazing job at isolating the incandescent lamps from shocks. During the development of the M2 bezel I put several proto-types through some extremely abusive field-testing and destroyed more bezels than P61 Lamp Assemblies.
(I didn't just use the P61 because it is more durable - it's also a brighter whiter output which I prefer!)

If a P60L breaks in use then I'm sure arrangements can be made with SureFire to have it repaired/replaced - just give 'em a call.

Al

signal 13

Enlightened
I really appreciate the info guys! I think I'll just stick with the non-shock isolated Z44 for now. I should be getting a M30 from Gene Malkoff here in the next few days :rock:

Can't wait to see what everyone's been talking about!

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
The M30 :) is nice, but the Dereelight 1.2A modules throw much further. Seriously. Much further.

Last edited: