E2dl head question

jjk1285

Newly Enlightened
neither of my E2DLs have that film.... there is just a small empty space at the point where the two halves of the head join..

I would say dunk it in some water to see if the seal is good; if its not, send it back to surefire. I had a U2 that let would let water into the head and they took care of the problem with a turnaround of a couple weeks.

Size15's

Flashaholic
That doesn't look right to me. If it bothers you I suggest you give SureFire a call.

People who take the E2DL/E2L/E1B etc apart should know whether there's any component (gasket perhaps?) that is out of place on yours.
I believe there is an o-ring seal rather than a gasket though.

The reason why there is a gap is because each LED mounted in it's bezel, combined with the TIR optic will achieve it's ideal beam when the optic is a specific distance from the LED. The two bezel components are screwed together until this beam profile is achieved. The gap varies from bezel to bezel. The beam also varies in profile - some tighter than others.

SureAddicted

Enlightened
I somehow doubt there would be a thin film between the heads. What I first thought that it mite be loctite oozing from the side, but it doesn't even look like it. Can you get anything in between the gap to see if it's flimsy?

1996alnl

Enlightened
Strange,it almost looks like a compression gasket,i doubt it though.
Has anyone unscrewed their E2DL head apart in the past?

Take care

cryhavok

Enlightened
That is a gasket that sits between the "light engine" and the lower shell of the head.

IMG_0004-1.jpg

IMG_0005-1.jpg

cryhavok

Enlightened
I just realized people that haven't seen the head apart probably don't know what they are looking at, so one more picture to get your bearings.

This is a chromed KL1, but the head designs between KL1/KX1/L1/E2DL are the same.

IMG_0007-1.jpg

isneyk

Newly Enlightened
I just realized people that haven't seen the head apart probably don't know what they are looking at, so one more picture to get your bearings.

Nah, you're just showing off your bling! :nana:

First time I've seen one of these gaskets...

milox

Newly Enlightened
I first noticed this when i was trying to clean the gap.
This film is flimsy and in some places stick to the light but in other places its wavy just like in the photos i posted. I bought my E2dl when they first came out. The beam is excellent, throw is very good, Maybe its something SF forgot to remove before final assembly.
Using my credit card i removed the stuff, just scrapped it of, this film was very thin, like the stuff that super cheap trash bags are made of, and it was only 1 mm. wide.
Came right of with zero effort.