Surefire E2L Replacement

Inova his head

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

Long time no see! I do apologise for that. I've been excruciatingly busy recently. However, I now find myself forced into action. I've lost my beloved Surefire E2L (my EDC), and am seeking a replacement. However, I think it would be foolish of me not to check with you fine folk to see if there's a better option around.

My main requirement, aside from being reliable, using an LED and having a belt clip, is hot spot brightness. While my old E2L didn't have the most impressive lumens output, its hot-spot was superb, especially considering its size. However, my little Fenix E1D managed to get close to that with only one little AA in the engine room (though funnily enough the 2 cell body i got for it doesn't produce a noticable improvement in brightness) so I figured I'd have a look at the brighter end of what Fenix makes and and found the TK10 seemed to fit the bill pretty well.

So I guess basically, I'm looking for suggestions for the clip-equipped LED flashlight with the brightest hot-spot, that's still feasible for EDC carry (I'd be reluctant to go much bigger than the surefire C3). Can anyone suggest anything to beat the TK10?

Many thanks for your help,
Tom

ruger357

Newly Enlightened
I have a SF 6pl. I replaced the led with a Bug Out Gear 'Premium Plus' led module. Has a great hotspot with some flood to boot.

flip

Enlightened
I think the clip requirement leave out the SF 6P series of lights. Someone in the B/S/T section has been trying to sell or trade a TLS led head mounted on a 2 cell Vital Gear body. I have a single cell TLS head and it puts out a lot of light. How about another SF E2L?

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where corn and pigs are grown unimpeded by trees
The E2DL is a bit brighter than the E1B, though it is also bigger since it is a two cell light. It is much brighter than an E2L. Surefire rates an E2L at 30 lumens and the E2DL at 120 lumens, though those numbers are low compared to other manufacturers. I say get an E2DL or E1B depending upon runtime and size requirements mainly. Though the E2DL is brighter, it is not by a large margin.

Inova his head

Newly Enlightened
Well that's pretty resounding! I'm a little intrigued though. A forum member (who's name I'm afraid I've forgotten, so if it's you I hope you're not offended) published some figures here http://fred-flashlights.tacomall.com.tw/throw.htm which shows the tk10 to have a slightly brighter hot spot and Fenix seems to have a good reputation on here, so is there any particular reason everyone's jkumping to the Surefires?

Thanks again,
Tom

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
so is there any particular reason everyone's jkumping to the Surefires?

Get ready for :poof:

There are one million and one threads on this with some great information and opnions.... IMHO, they are in two totally different classes and there are countless advantages to the Surefires.

In the end I think the top two are:

1) crazy CRAZY ridiculously good no questions asked lifetime warranty
2) time tested and trusted reliability

That is enough to do it for me.

Last edited:

matt0

Enlightened
I don't have any experience with the Fenix TK line but they look rather large for an EDC. I have a few of Fenix's smaller lights and they are very well built. That said, the few SureFire's I have are very well built. Since you previosuly had an E2L, I'm sure you understand what people say when they say how tough SF's are.

One reason I like the E2L is because, SF hit the nail on the head with the light output. An EDC light, IMO, should be geared towards longer runtime rather than ultimate brightness. For my uses, an EDC light doesnt need to be 200+ lumens like many lights are. If I'm going somewhere that I know will need that kind of light, I'll bring a bright light (like C3/M60).

60 SF lumens is plenty for what I need plus, I love the beam on SF's new E-series LED lights. The high on the E2L has been proven to be a solid 6 hours at full output. I can't remember what the low level runtime is.

Honestly though, I don't think you could go wrong with either a Fenix or a SF. It all depends on what kind of light you need and for how long.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
The E2L has been upgraded with a new head referred to as the KX2. The old head with the luxeon emitter was called the KL1.

I see no reason not to replace your old E2L with a new upgraded version. I think you will find the hotspot just as good, if not better, a larger amount of spill beam, and longer runtime as well.

The new version is also dual mode, which I'm not too fond of, but a lot of people seem to like. Personally I think they should have left the dual modes out of the E2DL at least, since it's more of a tactical light, but that's for another thread.

1996alnl

Enlightened
Get ready for :poof:

There are one million and one threads on this with some great information and opnions.... IMHO, they are in two totally different classes and there are countless advantages to the Surefires.

In the end I think the top two are:

1) crazy CRAZY ridiculously good no questions asked lifetime warranty
2) time tested and trusted reliability

That is enough to do it for me.

Couldn't of said it better myself:grin2:

Take care

isneyk

Newly Enlightened
KX2 figures

+1 on the following qualities of these lights:

new E2L for amazing runtimes.
E1B for the small size factor.
E2DL for brightness factor.
new L1 for the UI.
new E1L for the long runtimes on a single cell

All of these have the new TIR optics for better throw w/ usable spill.

Last edited:

Inova his head

Newly Enlightened
Well I shall bow to superior knowledge and set off on the hunt for a E2DL. I've posted in the WTB section, but I'll just add here that if anyone's got one they want rid of, please do PM me.

Many thanks,
Tom

Latest posts