6D maglite conversion to LED question

exodus125

Enlightened
I have a 6D maglite which I currently use with the magnum star bulbs. According to the specs on the maglite website, this light and bulb can produce 233 lumens and 57K CP for 10-11 hrs.

If I were to convert this to an LED. What would you guys recommend? Taking into consideration, the price, ease of conversion, battery life, and light output.

I was looking at the drop in from Malkoff devices which costs 60 dollars. It produces 240 lumens for 8 hrs plus a couple of hrs at a reduce light output (this was the info on a 4d, id imagine for a 6d it would be higher)

Then I was looking at the 3 bulb set ups from malkoff, which produce 750+ lumens for 3 to 4.4 hrs and cost 155.

AND...

i was looking at the 3LED drop in from terralux which costa 70 and produces 500-600 lumens and has a runtime of 1.5 hrs.

so my question is, what should I get? or is there something else out there that may be better. Right now, the most appealing one is the 1 bulb set up from malkoff which is only 60 bucks, has a little more power than the stock light and similar runtime. BUT, considering its 60 bucks, maybe it would be better to just keep it as is? Help me decide. :green:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
The quoted lumens from M@g are pretty much BS in more than one way. That's the starting output of the bulb on fresh cells. Almost all incan lights, especially if you are using Alkaline cells drop in output pretty drastically in the first 15 minutes. Also that figure is the peak ideal conditions that the bulb produces, not what comes out the front of the light after reflector losses and trying to get through the lousy plastic window.
The Malkoff is also emitter lumens, not out the front, but the output will be regulated and LEDs generally loose less light in the reflector than incans. If you want to get the most you can get spend $5 in a UCL Lens to get more light out the front.

The Malkoff tripple and the Teralux tripple are nice, but the upper hand goes to the malkoff. There's nothing wrong with going the single $60 malkoff route either. That setup will have the best throw. Whichever you get it will be a huge leap from the magsar bulbs.
A final bit of interest, a 5-cell mag bulb in teh 6 cell light is brighter. The bulb life is less but it gives a brighter whiter light.

exodus125

Enlightened
The quoted lumens from M@g are pretty much BS in more than one way. That's the starting output of the bulb on fresh cells. Almost all incan lights, especially if you are using Alkaline cells drop in output pretty drastically in the first 15 minutes. Also that figure is the peak ideal conditions that the bulb produces, not what comes out the front of the light after reflector losses and trying to get through the lousy plastic window.
The Malkoff is also emitter lumens, not out the front, but the output will be regulated and LEDs generally loose less light in the reflector than incans. If you want to get the most you can get spend $5 in a UCL Lens to get more light out the front.

The Malkoff tripple and the Teralux triple are nice, but the upper hand goes to the Malkoff. There's nothing wrong with going the single $60 Malkoff route either. That setup will have the best throw. Whichever you get it will be a huge leap from the magstar bulbs.
A final bit of interest, a 5-cell mag bulb in the 6 cell light is brighter. The bulb life is less but it gives a brighter whiter light.

so just to reiterate, the good thing about the Malkoff is that the output will be better and stay consistent, instead of dropping as the battery drains. What would you say the true ratings on the stock light are? The nice thing about the 1 bulb setup from Malkoff is that you can still focus the light.

Still,,,a 750+ lumens would be cool. :cool:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
If you want the pragmatic single-emitter drop-in, go with the Malkoff. 240 lumens, somewhere over 12 hours runtime, $60

If you want the insane-output drop-in, go with the TerraLUX (because it's half the price of the Malkoff that hasn't been in stock for months). 600 lumens, about 4 hours runtime, $70

I would also highly recommend the UCL lens, at higher outputs it does make a visible difference (and it looks better to, from most angles there doesn't appear to be a lens at all)

tsisaris

Newly Enlightened
I want to upgrade a few maglites and want to know my options.

I have two 6D maglites that I want to put in very bright very efficient white led bulbs.

I have several 3AA maglites that I want to change the existing led bulbs to true >840 nm infrared and true <390 nm ultraviolet leds.

Can you sell me these mods and guide me on installation?

I want simple drop in upgrades.

Thanks,
Shawn

916-203-6066