Connexion VS. the D10

894tom

Newly Enlightened
I have had my LumaPowerConnexion for about 2 weeks now and...unfortunately have been biten by the flashlight bug. I was just not happy enough with it although I was really getting there. The connexion worked very well for me on a search mission (a walk away altzimers patient (spellcheck?). I ran it on high for about an hour and a half. It lit up backyard fairly well. Of course my target was a human being at those distances. I found that the color of the Q5 made my partners Mag look like its batteries were dead. I was not that happy with the throw of the light though. While its seemed excellent conducting a house sweep, it really made me take several more steps forward into a backyard to get closer to an object I believed was a human before I could rule it out as being a stump. I guess what I'm saying is....back to the keyboard/drawing board. I like the run time of this light and the fact I could drop another AA in it...but the throw didn't impress me. Well I did some surfin and found another light I thought I would give it a try. Enter the D10. I really liked the switching mechanism and figured I would give it a shot. I thought the d10 was gonna be bigger when looking at it online, but when it got here, it was exactly the same size as my connexion. I figured..well for $10bucks more I guess I could keep this light just for its switch and resigned myself to keeping it just as a backup light...not being able to replace my Stinger. Then I turned on the D10.....WHOA!!! They both the same size reflectors, have the Cree Q5's and are single AA powered. What gives? This baby (D10) is riding on my hip from here on out. At one hundred twenty feet, I could see my mailbox and its post with the Connexion. Same distance, I could see if it was open ... and the tree line across the street...and the grass all around it...and the color differnce between the door and the box....SOLD!!!! Side notes....The D10 heats up more and its light is a much cooler Q5 beam (which I dont really care for). On a final positive note....the D10 switch is perfect for tactical applications..ie momentary contact option, twisty, clicky, dimmable...simply perfect.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the great real world comparison, my 1 x AA EDC has just died on me and i was considering the Connexion but looks like the D10 is now on my list as well as the Jetbeam Jet I Pro IBS (you might want to take a look at that light on http://www.light-reviews.com/ and click on 'compare' and check out the differences in the Jetbeam Jet I, D10 and D10 with Golden Dragon.

The Jetbeam is the most expensive and seems to throw a lot better but loses out quite significantly to the D10s. Between the D10s, the runtime difference is 21 minutes with the Golden Dragon being the winner in runtime on 100% though it may not be as bright as the D10 without GD. The difference is 610 lux which i am not sure how it translates in real world brightness and throw. Perhaps someone more technically qualified can explain this??

D10 looks like a winner! better balanced light at a reasonable cost too.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
First of all 894tom :welcome:

I have both the Connexion and the D10 and here's is my view on their comparison.

The Connexion's light tint is unbeatable (CREE Q5 WD) for short range chores and I currently use it for reading in bed. The D10's tint is definitely a bit cooler (CREE Q5 WC) but this light has a higher throw. The switch of Connexion is not too user friendly while the D10's one is excellent.

It is difficult to choose between the two and you made the right decision: buy both. :cool:

gunga

Flashaholic
I have not looked at the data lately, but keep in mind the D10 and Connexion probably have different drive levels on max. I believe the Connexion has longer runtime and lower output.

Also note the fact that the Connexion has a very shallow reflector so is more floody and less throwy.

An interesting side note: The Connexion, Incendio, and the new 18650 driven Encore all have the exact same reflector assembly. So if you like the beam pattern on one, you will like them all. If you don't like the pattern, then keep shopping...

paintballdad

Enlightened
Lumapower's don't seem to get much love around here, you seldom see post about them. Looking at their product line, they seem to concentrate on no nonsense, nicely built EDC lights. I wouldn't rule out the Connexion.While it doesn't have a high tech UI, just a plain forward clicky, 3 power levels and no fancy modes, I think it's a great light. I've considered picking up an Incendio and now maybe an Encore too, it just got push to the back burner due to other lights. Just too many good lights out there, my collection will grow at the expense of a lighter wallet :(.

Last edited:

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lumapower's don't seem to get much love around here....

You are probably right but there's a few exceptions.....

cimg1076uh1.jpg

:cool: