mini-mini Arc6 review

Gimpy00Wang

b0rk, b0rk, b0rk
So I finally acquired an Arc6 (production version). Here are my thoughts after spending the day with it.

Things I like:
  • machining and ano are top notch
  • low profile bezel is pretty snazzy
  • virtual stage 3 is surprisingly useful once you figure it out
  • emitter should be pretty easy to replace down the road
  • small!
  • Arc4+ trade-in value

The machining of the head and body is superlative and the ano right there with it. It is damn NICE! I've always had a love/hate relationship with PD-based lights, but I could learn to love this one. Unlike the Arc4+ which is nearly impossible to upgrade, this light will be pretty easy to upgrade. I really appreciate that!

Things I don't like:
  • light ramp up turning light on to low
  • dust and hair on reflector and o-ring
  • scratch on reflector
  • price

With so much attention to detail in the machining, ano, and overall design, you'd think the dust, hair, and scratch wouldn't have made it past QC, but they did. I noticed the dust and hair on the o-ring immediately and the scratch shortly there after. The dust and hair was easy enough to remove, but the scratch not so much. On the bright side -- it isn't visible in the beam so I'm content. And what's with the light ramp up when initially turning the light on to low? The instructions note that this could be normal on higher voltage cells, but I'm using the included Duracell CR123A.

Overall I'm pleased.

...almost forgot. Here are some pics I took while I was cleaning the reflector and o-ring:

[size=-2]^^^ click for larger images ^^^[/size]

- Chris

Last edited:

Gimpy00Wang

b0rk, b0rk, b0rk
My simple little mind had difficulties interpreting the instructions regarding the virtual stage. I think it was really an issue of user error than unclear instructions. :)

- Chris

orcinus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Instructions regarding configuration or its use?
I'm asking because i had problems getting into and traversing the configuration menu at first.

There seems to be a timeout of some sorts that isn't mentioned in the manual. If you don't access the menu within a few seconds of switching the light on (to stage 1), it seems to become inaccessible until you switch the light off and back on.

Gimpy00Wang

b0rk, b0rk, b0rk
I had some difficulties in the setup menu as well, but eventually got things set the way I wanted. The last page of the instructions, "Known Issues", explains that the timing of the flashes can be uneven -- sometimes fast, sometimes slow. It lacks the elegance of other UI's but it works.

- Chris

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are right Orcinus, there is a feature there I forgot to mention. I just updated the instructions with this text:

Note: If you fail to enter the menu within about 10 seconds, you need to start again by turning the light off for several seconds. This timeout make it less likely that you would accidentally enter the menu if you were using the light for signaling/flashing or you were using low for an extended period and occasionally using high for brief periods. Without this timeout, by the 10th time you used high, the light would enter the menu without any warning. I discovered this on a camping trip with an early prototype and decided to add the timeout feature.

Latest instructions can be downloaded here:
http://www.arcflashlight.com/Arc6_instructions.doc

peter