Another suggestion thread.. :)

geebee

Newly Enlightened
Hey everyone, :twothumbs I apologize in advance for another suggestion thread but I have tried to make my way around the site and in doing so I think I am more confused then before! lol :thinking:

Having said that, I have found the Flashlight Recommendation thread which I have completed below!

Short Essay Question: What do you intend to use this light for?

To summerize I am looking for an above average light that is bright, with good to great throw with adequate spill, that is durable, in a semi-tactical setup.

0) What Region/Country/State will the light be purchased in?

____I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

1) Price Range: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____I am willing to spend $80-$120.

2) Format:

____I want a flashlight.

3) Length:

I'm guessing 4-6 inches would be ideal
____2-4 inches. (Pocket carry)
____4-9 inches. (Holster carry)

4) Width:

Some where between long/narrow and short/wide
____I prefer a long narrow light.
____I prefer a short wide light.

5) What batteries do you want to use? Alkaline batteries are easier to find and less expensive but don't pack as much stored energy and are don't work well in cold temperatures. Lithium batteries have long shelf life (10+ years, great for stored emergency lights) and are not as affected by cold but must be kept dry and are more expensive. Rechargeable start expensive, but if used frequently pay off quickly.

Either
____I want lithium batteries. (coin cells, CR123, AAA, AA...)
____I want a rechargeable system. (an investment, but best for everyday use)

6) How much light do you want? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

Can one do all of these?
____I want to read a map, or find a light switch, in a dark room. (5-10 lumens)
____I want to walk around a generally paved area. (15-20 lumens)
____I want to walk unpaved trails. (40 lumens)
____I want to do Caving or Search & Rescue operations. (60+ lumens)
____I want to light an entire campground or dazzle an intruder. (100+ lumens)

7) Throw vs Flood: Which do you prefer, lights that flood an area with a wide beam, or lights that "throw" with a tightly focused beam? Place an "X" on the line below.

Defiantely more thrown than flood
Throw (distance)---|---------------------------------------Flood/close-up

8) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims (like some LED lights). but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries.

The brighest for the longest
____60-240 min. (1-2 hours)
____240-360 min. (4-6 hours)

9) Durability: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

Very important to critical, as if I'm not camping or out in the sticks this will be on my nightstand beside my gunvault.
____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box.)
____Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Self-defense, Survival.)

8) Switch Type:

Prefer "clickie"
____I want a "clickie" switch. (Stays on until pressed again.)
____I want a momentary switch. (Only stays on while held down.)

9) Switch Location:

Either/or
____I want a push or sliding switch on the body near the head.
____I want a push switch on the back end of the body.

10) Operational Modes: Check all that apply.

____I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
____I want multiple light levels. (some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
____I want a strobe mode. (blinks to show location.)
____I want a tactical strobe. (Flashes rapidly to disorient an opponent.)

11) Is it important whether the body is metal or plastic/composite?

____I want a metal-bodied light.

12) Special Needs: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Circle any below or write in your own comment(s).

The more the merrier.. Waterproof a must, and the rest are just details.

____Red (night vision preserving) filter
____Waterproof – how deep: _____________
____Non-reflective/dark finish (stealthy/hard to find)
____Corrosion resistant or hard-anodized finish
____Built-in second (or spare) lamp or filament
____Belt/Jacket clip
____Holster
____Wrist/Neck Lanyard
____Kobuton/self defense features

Is there something the size of let's say a SF 6p, with the styling of a JetBeam III pro, and performance of a Olight M20? I do not need it to be as tactical as the M20! lol:grin2:

Any and all suggestions would be appreciate as time is not on my side and I would like to make this purchase sooner than later! Thanks!!

BTW, which is more preferred OP or a smooth reflector?

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well you're kind of asking for everything if I read that right... :p
Though you do have realistic price expectations.

Anyway the easy question first... if you're wanting throw get a smooth reflector. But if this is a bedside light, flood is way more useful.

Now onto other stuff. Please excuse me as I poke some more holes in your expectations. ;)

You're wanting a light that is nightstand/ gunvault critical use but also want multiple modes. In some ways those concepts are mutually exclusive. I love my multimode lights but very few are LEO reliable. The more modes you have, the more clicking and fiddling one usually has to do in order to make light happen in the way you want it.

I'm going to stick with 2x CR123 and 18650 lights as that's what you've listed so far.

If you want a dead reliable light for bumps in the night you want a one or two mode light imho. A SF 6P with a Malkoff M60 or M60L and a SF diffuser maybe is about the best you can do.
The Fenix TK11 and the EagleTac lights have a simple 2-mode operation and seem to be worthy for such use.

Now let's explore some multimode options.
The Olight M20 is a fine light in many respects. So are the Jetbeams. So is a Fenix P3D. All of these can go from decently low to pretty darn bright. The trick in picking them is getting to understand the User Interface (UI) better.
In my personal Opinion the Jetbeam has the most versatile and easiest interface to use. It has 3 modes and you can program those modes to be whatever you want. High, Low, Strobe, locator beacon, etc.
The Fenix P3D is a bit smaller but has one of the best UIs out there for multimode lights imo. Tright bezel for Highest> Strobe... a very god simple setup for bump in the night. Loose bezel for Low>Medium>High>SOS very simple twist makes it low level for walking to the bathroom without blasting your eyes too bad.
The Olight has the most difficult to manipulate UI but for everything except bump in the night/ LEO work it is still very useable.

So there's some things to think about. :crazy: No real recommendations from me yet. Take my opinons with a grain of salt but hopefully it will give you an idea of what to look for based upon how you intend to use the light. Function over Form.
It is pretty baffling as there are so many options and so many opinions around here. Even confounds me at times and I practically live on CPF most nights.

kris994

Newly Enlightened
I had similar requirements and have ordered a Jetbeam Military. Theres some good reviews of it on here..

geebee

Newly Enlightened
thank you for the taking the time to respond, and YES having everything lumped into one package would be perfect, wouldn't it? It's like have a SUV, sports car, and a luxury vehicle all combined into one. What do you get when you combine them all? Maybe a BMW X5 that leans more towards the SUV (rugged, mulitpurpose) category.

I think as I have narrowed my choices down to Jetbeam (deciding on the model) or a tk10 or tk11. I think the SF 6p with a Malkoff is something that will invariable end up in my possession so I can cross that off the list as I will have it ultimately! :grin2:

As kris mentioned the PRO M might be the best choice..

Well you're kind of asking for everything if I read that right... :p
Though you do have realistic price expectations.

Anyway the easy question first... if you're wanting throw get a smooth reflector. But if this is a bedside light, flood is way more useful.

Now onto other stuff. Please excuse me as I poke some more holes in your expectations. ;)

You're wanting a light that is nightstand/ gunvault critical use but also want multiple modes. In some ways those concepts are mutually exclusive. I love my multimode lights but very few are LEO reliable. The more modes you have, the more clicking and fiddling one usually has to do in order to make light happen in the way you want it.

I'm going to stick with 2x CR123 and 18650 lights as that's what you've listed so far.

If you want a dead reliable light for bumps in the night you want a one or two mode light imho. A SF 6P with a Malkoff M60 or M60L and a SF diffuser maybe is about the best you can do.
The Fenix TK11 and the EagleTac lights have a simple 2-mode operation and seem to be worthy for such use.

Now let's explore some multimode options.
The Olight M20 is a fine light in many respects. So are the Jetbeams. So is a Fenix P3D. All of these can go from decently low to pretty darn bright. The trick in picking them is getting to understand the User Interface (UI) better.
In my personal Opinion the Jetbeam has the most versatile and easiest interface to use. It has 3 modes and you can program those modes to be whatever you want. High, Low, Strobe, locator beacon, etc.
The Fenix P3D is a bit smaller but has one of the best UIs out there for multimode lights imo. Tright bezel for Highest> Strobe... a very god simple setup for bump in the night. Loose bezel for Low>Medium>High>SOS very simple twist makes it low level for walking to the bathroom without blasting your eyes too bad.
The Olight has the most difficult to manipulate UI but for everything except bump in the night/ LEO work it is still very useable.

So there's some things to think about. :crazy: No real recommendations from me yet. Take my opinons with a grain of salt but hopefully it will give you an idea of what to look for based upon how you intend to use the light. Function over Form.
It is pretty baffling as there are so many options and so many opinions around here. Even confounds me at times and I practically live on CPF most nights.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
For a smaller sized light, the Nitecore Extreme (or Defender Infinity if you want to be able to use an AA battery) might work.

Tighten output = max and loosen output = user set output.

I think any of the lights you mentioned would work well. Leaning towards the Jetbeam for the settable outputs.

:welcome: