Lensed Fenix E01 mod

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I've been wishing that Fenix would bring out a lensed E01 or an attachment for the E01. So I thought that I might try making an attachment myself.

So I started with a 10 Degree collimator for Luxeon Star LED Module, like the one here:
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productVie...d2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=

The lens is a plastic lens thats wedged on a plastic holder with a small hole on the bottom for the luxeon led.

The next step was to whittle it down so it can fit snuggly on the E01. So here it is:
dcp0844zi1.jpg

Well you can see the sort of hack job I did on that. What you dont see is the epoxy used to glue one of the legs back on. Theres also a scratch on the lens but its not that noticeable. Not easy with big clumsy fingers.

So this now sits on the E01 like this:

dcp0846lr2.jpg

Now for some beam shots. Here is the E01 without the lens at 1 metre:

dcp0832hi9.jpg

And now with the lens on:

dcp0833tn1.jpg

With the lens on, you get a nice moon glow. The light doesnt seem as blue but you lose a bit of the spill. It is a very nice spot despite my shoddy workmanship. Its not exactly secure sitting like that on the E01. Its quite easy to knock it off accidently. Ideally, something elastic to help keep it on would be better. So heres hoping that Fenix will bring out an E01 with a small lens.

For reference, here are some pictures of the lens on my Fenix L0P. The L0P is a 1W luxeon running on a single AAA. (I actually have 2 1/2 AAA's in it)

Without the lens at 1 metre:

dcp0835zt2.jpg

And here it is with the lens on.

dcp0836tt3.jpg

It doesnt quite work with the square luxeon led unless you like the square beam. It is a bit of a novelty. The outer rings I think are due to the reflector on the L0P. The distance of the lens from the LED also makes a difference to the size of the spot. Infact at certain distances, you can see the pattern on the LED magnified.

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
An idea for helping keep it on:

The white chapstick caps fit very snuggly on the E01, and make a wonderful diffuser. If you cut the center of the end off a chapstick cap, you would press fit your lens on the inside of it, then press the entire thing over the end of the E01.

I could draw up a little sketch if you need something visual.

Presumably you could do the same thing with a small aspheric lens.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The white chapstick caps fit very snuggly on the E01, and make a wonderful diffuser.
I did actually consider this. Its been quite hard to find a cap that fits the E01. Maybe people here have bigger lips or something but the caps are just bit too big.

I have been looking for one that will fit inside the reflector of E01. 11mm diameter and I think that would squeeze in nicely. Then I'd glue it in to make it permanent, and I'll be able to use the diffuser without having to switch caps.

IcantC

Enlightened
An idea for helping keep it on:

The white chapstick caps fit very snuggly on the E01, and make a wonderful diffuser. If you cut the center of the end off a chapstick cap, you would press fit your lens on the inside of it, then press the entire thing over the end of the E01.

I could draw up a little sketch if you need something visual.

I was going to suggest this. I just tried the cap from a Caramex brand lip balm(the stick version, not the jar) and it fit the E01. It does not fit the E0(too big). On E01 I got it halfway on, I did not force it anymore.