Has anyone tested the KL3 to failure?

roguesw

Enlightened
Hi there, has anyone out there tested the kl3 to failure, e.g the type of tests that was conducted on the mclux on the skunkworks page?
e.g cracked lens, nuked in microwave, submerssion, tested the unit until failure and if so, what type of failure occured?
thanks
Des

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
What in the world are you planning? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
I've not managed to break the Pyrex lens of the KL3 I have. In my experience of trying to break and managing to break SureFires - the level of abuse and missuse is unrealistic in that no flashlight would be expected to survive.

SureFire field-trials it's products with users across the special operations community. These guys are hard on their tools and demanding on performance for their jobs. SureFire has people working with groups in the field to gain feedback on the tools in actual use. Fitness for purpose is very important to SureFire.

Al

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now seriously... Who in the world would microwave their aluminum flashlight for the sake of trying to kill it...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

It'd be more likely that you'd kill the KL3 by burning 100K hours on it than if you'd find a way to toss it into a linear accelerator...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
FalconFX said:
Now seriously... Who in the world would microwave their aluminum flashlight for the sake of trying to kill it...

[/ QUOTE ]

And who in their right mind would nuke *ANY* flashlight to see if it will kick the bucket in a microwave oven? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

B@rt

Flashaholic
fcca6a5b.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

roguesw

Enlightened
Hi guys, thanks for the answers, i am just another curious guy, u know the type who always want to take everything apart to look at it, the reason i ask is that a friend of mine is an engineerig student and he asked me why did they build the Kl3 like that, and how did they test it to break it and then finally come up with that design.
the sick thing is, i have great delight in trying to convert my friends to teh benefit of the led lights by turning on the kl3 and then throwing it onto teh ground to show how durable they are /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
cheers
Des

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
By putting the KL1 or KL3 in your microwave, you would be testing its electromagnetic shielding capability. All semiconductor are IMMEDIATELY destroyed from microwaving, including the Luxeon and the controller IC. (Have you tested CDs? Just 5 secs - please). SO, if the bezel is perfectly shielded, it MAY resist to microwaving. I have no curiosity about the answer...

Anthony

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
The microwave radiation will probably get in through the KL3's business end (where the light comes out), and probably destroy the Luxeon LED and any driver circuitry on the surrounding PCB. The flashlight casing itself would act as a ground plane (or as an antenna) and the batteries would probably be OK. And there might be some arcing or sparking inside the tailcap as the microwave energy jumps across the switch contacts. The KL3 would poop out long before the batteries are damaged.

I haven't tried nuking a KL3 though, so this is only a guess at what *may* happen to one in a microwave. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Leo nuked a McLux for 30 seconds in a microwave, and it came out fine...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

batterystation

Enlightened
When I worked at Motorola in land mobile service dept., I dumped a Bravo pager out on my desk that was charred beyond recognition. The repair complaint said "dropped in water." So now I am thinking to myself how a 1.5v AA battery could have done all of this. It did not take long to conclude that it was not the likely drop in the toilet that caused this damage, but the guy attempting to dry it out in his microwave oven. Definitely not recommended procedure for drying an electronic object.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
If that beeper fell in a toliet, urinator, sink, or got rain on it, you would definitely not see any charring. I'd guess he put it in the microwave along with his wet puppy and wet tennis balls.
Kablam!!! Pow!!! Pow!!! Buzz!!! Sizzle!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

I've never nuked a beeper, phone, radio, walkman, LED flashlight, or other electronic article; though I'd imagine you'd get quite a light show before your fire alarm started going off. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif