Imalent        
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Shark Buck

Default Re: Shark Buck

Quote Originally Posted by dat2zip View Post
    DaFABRICATA,

Yes, that is correct as long as your fresh battery state (worst case) is 25V or less.

(But, That is the IC max voltage rating (25V) and the capacitors voltage rating (25V) and pushing everything to the limits could be trouble. Normally, it would be best to be conservative and operate below absolute max ratings).

Wayne

Email sent....
    Flashlight Modifications available upon request
    "I have to go return some video tapes." -Patrick Bateman

Any word when it will be back in stock?

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by 1-3-2-4 View Post
    Any word when it will be back in stock?
    I would like to know too!

They are supposed to be here this coming week.

That great news looking forward to trying it out.

I've got some news for all those that bought one of the current Shark Buck converter boards.

One report came back with a blown converter after a few minutes of running. I have setup a bench test and have confirmed the converter overheats. It appears the copper foil thickness is standard 1oz copper trace and not the 2oz I ordered. I have a previous version that has 2oz and it runs fine with the simulated quad P7 load and with 20V input.

The overheating resembles bench testing I did on the Shark and the Blue Shark.

If you have not hooked up the Shark Buck I can send you a replacement when the next batch comes in which should be this week sometime. I will test one and verify the production batch is good before they go out.

I bench tested all 10 of the current ones momentarily (wired for 1A) and didn't see the thermal issue. I had tested one at 1A for extended periods and did not test them when I upgraded them to 2A or 3A.

If you want to give the current one a go let me know if you successful or if it blew. I'll replace it if it blows.

It took me a while to make the test load. I wired up 16 Lux3 as four groups of four LEDS to mimick a quad P7 setup. The Vf @ 2A was around 12V or so.

I'll post an update when I get hold of the production boards. Sorry about this.

Wayne
    Last edited by dat2zip; 11-24-2008 at 01:59 AM.

OK,

Looking under the microscope of the two boards I can definitely see the previous version has thicker traces than the ones just made and shipped.

So, I can say for certain 1-2A is about tops as that is where the Regular Shark ran successfully which is the same IC on 1oz process.

If you are uncertain I will be happy to send a replacement ASAP assuming the panels in production are 2oz copper. Otherwise, we have a big problem.

Wayne

Wayne, thanks for the heads-up.

I haven't hooked mine up yet, but will be using them with a 3A load, so I would like to have them replaced when the new batch arrives. Should I send back the ones I have?

Were you able to sort out the PWM throttling on the upcoming boards?

Flashaholic

Wayne, if I attach my old batch Shark Buck to a Shark Sink, will I be okay running 3A?

Quote Originally Posted by Visible EM Wave View Post
    Wayne, if I attach my old batch Shark Buck to a Shark Sink, will I be okay running 3A?
    No, that won't be ok. It doesn't matter what size heat sink you attach the Shark Buck to as the IC is not able to transfer the heat away to the bottomside. The fix is thicker copper on the PCB.

You can remove the 0.1 ohm resistor and make it a 2A version.

Wayne

Hi, I'm interested in a Shark Buck for automotive use to drive two P7's at 3Amps each. The input voltage will be between 12v and 14.5v. Will this be ok?

Does the shark buck need its own heatsink?

Has the new shipment that has thicker copper arrived yet?

Flashaholic

Hello Wayne

I'd like to use a FM 8AA adapter in serial/parallel arrangement with this driver, which effectively provides 4.8v from 8AA eneloops batteries. Will this driver provide 3A regulated to a P7 led with this power setup?

Thanks!

9x23

Quote Originally Posted by 9x23 View Post
    Hello Wayne

I'd like to use a FM 8AA adapter in serial/parallel arrangement with this driver, which effectively provides 4.8v from 8AA eneloops batteries. Will this driver provide 3A regulated to a P7 led with this power setup?

Thanks!

9x23
    That's cutting it close. That should work assuming the Vf of the P7 is below 3.5V.

UPDATE on new batch.

I've got the new batch of boards and they are the correct copper thickness and I've bench tested one with 2.8A output and the IC rose to 110F. The board was mounted to a full aluminum version of the heatsinks I sell on the shoppe and it had no problems keeping the copper C near room temperature.

There are some boo boos I made which are all minor. I need to flip the diodes around as I placed them on the PCB layout this way and didn't notice it till now. I adjusted the fixed resistor to increase the trim pot to achieve 100% full power and I went the wrong direction. One other resistor is loaded in the wrong location.

These fixes along with soldering on the copper C will mean the boards will trickly out slowly as I hand re-work some of the lot and see about getting the CM to rework the rest. Depending on the quote or price to rework will depend on whether the full batch will get done it a timely mannor or I'll have to rework them in batches.

Wayne

Flashaholic*

Is the price going to stay at $58.00?Or will it drop down to the first run price?

Thanks,
    Michael

I think you are looking at the Shark Buck with Remora (Assembled Shark Buck).

The converter board only is called SHARK Buck.

Wayne

Flashaholic*

Ohgeez Re: Shark Buck

Quote Originally Posted by dat2zip View Post
    I think you are looking at the Shark Buck with Remora (Assembled Shark Buck).

The converter board only is called SHARK Buck.

Wayne
    Doh!

Thanks Wayne,yes indeed I was.I've looked at that page a million times,I don't how I managed to miss that this time.

Looking forward to snagging one of these.

Thanks,
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by 9x23 View Post
    Hello Wayne

Thanks!

9x23
    I did some testing and I found the converter needs about 2V of headroom to stay in regulation. So, for this configuration a min of 5.5V is needed to run full power.

I do not know why this is the case and I will look into more when I get a chance.

Wayne

Luckily only nine 1oz SHARK Bucks were shipped. Please return them to the Shoppe for a swap out with the 2oz Shark Buck. Orders 15369, 15371, 15372, 15380 and 15407 may be affected. Send an email please. Thank you.
    Last edited by Ms_SS; 12-03-2008 at 11:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ms_SS View Post
    Luckily only nine 1oz SHARK Bucks were shipped. Please return them to the Shoppe for a swap out with the 2oz Shark Buck. Orders 15369, 15371, 15372, 15380 and 15407 may be affected. Send an email please. Thank you.
    You and Wayne provide "excellent" customer service - bravo

Will

There are more Shark Bucks online.

Quick question can I drive two p7's in series with the shark buck?

I received my replacements today, thanks wayne and Cindy!

Quote Originally Posted by 1-3-2-4 View Post
    Quick question can I drive two p7's in series with the shark buck?
    Yes, you'll need ~9V to stay in regulation with adequate current depending on your drive level.

Was it verified that the Shark Buck will run 4 X P7's in series?

I will ship back both 1oz. Shark Bucks I have. One is epoxied to the heatsink. I will remove it but can not guarantee that it will not get destroyed in the process.
    Wayne, I sent you a picture in my last email of what I am talking about.

I will Email you for a return address.

Thanks again..

Quote Originally Posted by DaFABRICATA View Post
    Was it verified that the Shark Buck will run 4 X P7's in series?

I will ship back both 1oz. Shark Bucks I have. One is epoxied to the heatsink. I will remove it but can not guarantee that it will not get destroyed in the process.
    Wayne, I sent you a picture in my last email of what I am talking about.

I will Email you for a return address.

Thanks again..
    Yes, I wired 16 Lux3s to create a simulated load of 4 P7s and I had no trouble driving it with the corrected Shark Buck.

No worries about removing the Shark Buck and if it will still work or not afterwords. I'll need it to generate the exchange and it doesn't matter what the condition of it is.

You can return it to the address on the package if you still have the package or send us an email and we will get you the return address to send it to.

Wayne

thanks wayne one other question do I need a heatsink with the shark buck for use in a auto for it connected to the reverse lights?

does it heat up quick or can I pass?

Heatsinking is required.
    Use some thermal adhesive and mount it to a chunk of aluminum or if you can find an area on the metal frame of the car that will transfer heat sufficiently.

ok I have a heatsink I can use for it.

my order was shipped yesterday ordered the 3A version..

I will be driving 2 p7's with it however I think I will turn the level down just a bit.

also one more question would the shark buck fit on a 40x40mm heatsink?
    Last edited by 1-3-2-4; 12-14-2008 at 02:22 PM.

I was going to use... DX SKU.7612 16-mode Driver connected with DX SKU.1886 4x AMC7135 board from the Netkidz post shown here... http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=192677 But I want to run two Lithium Ions in series so I need a downconverter because the max input voltage of the 16 mode driver is something like 6V. The Shark Buck was recommended to me (thanks VegasF6).

Can I use the Shark Buck to drive the Netkidz setup to drive one p7 ?

Thanks

You would probably be better off picking up a Shark Buck with a Remora as its a "supported" solution.

I think that if you tried to rig something up using the drivers that Netkidz used, you would have to remove the regulators from the board so that you are just getting the PWM signal from the microcontroller piped into the Shark with no extra current.
    EDC: Surefire e2l, Novatac P7/d2flex

bluecrow76, thanks for replying.

The Shark Buck would come before the other driver, that's the whole point, I need to lower the voltage getting to the 16 mode driver because it's optimum input voltage is 5V and the 2 Li Ion batteries provide 8.4V max, 8 AA batteries in series in a holder I found here... http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.co...roducts_id=590
    Provide 12V max, less using NiMH.

My goal is to have maximum battery versatility I would use my Li Ion batteries normally, but switch to NiMH when the Li Ions could not be charged. I could use 2 of any Li Ion battery that fits, or use two aventrade holders with 14500s in them .

I saw the Assembled Shark Buck with the Remora, I considered it, but I want the other modes offered by the other board.

I think it would work I just need to know what the output voltage of the 3A Shark Buck is with 8.4V and 12V inputs respectively.

Also is the output of the 3A Shark Buck adjustable down to 2.4A using the trim pot, or do I need to swap out sense resistors? Do I even need to lower the output current to prevent overloading the 7135 boards or will the other drivers take only what they need?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast