Nitecore D10 failure

jl.

Newly Enlightened
I've had my Nitecore D10 for about a month now and have loved it so much it has become my EDC. However, I twisted the head and it broke off!

I've only had it for a short time I hope that Nitecore will replace it under warranty as I think it should be a bit tougher than it is! It's broken where the knurling on the head meets the smooth section and the aluminium is very thin and I can only assume this is a manufacturing fault on my particular flashlight.

IMG%5D

IMG%5D

IMG%5D
IMG_2302-1.jpg

jason1000001

IMG_2305-1.jpg

jason1000001

jason1000001

Last edited:

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
A D10?? I have one of those.:ohgeez:

I thought this was only a problem with EX10's!!!

Is yours a GDP or Cree?

Last edited:

Coaster

Newly Enlightened
The same thing happened to a couple of people with Ex10s.

I believe the early production lights they went a bit thin around the threads, supposedly the later lights are a little thicker there.

I think 4Sevens has repaired/replaced the lights that have failed so far.

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen the EX10 break on the battery tube but haven't seen a Nitecore break at the head! :thumbsdow That metal is so t-h-i-n!

You said you haven't had it long. Let us know the serial number to see if it was one of the early run that had this problem. If it is a higher serial number than we may have a bigger problem than originally thought.

jr/

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's definately one of the early batch. They say the later batches don't have this problem. David will replace no worries.

jr/

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems they went too deep on the knurling undercuts.

Threads this thin would be a manufacturability issue. I'm sure they had fallout in their production line when concentricity wasn't perfect. They should have fixed this early.

Mine doesn't have a S/N, what does that mean?

krazy89

Enlightened
hey EngrPaul

the serial number is on your warranty card... it's not on the light like others..

KraZy

krazy89

Enlightened
well.. that seems to be a later run... and to be honest... there hasn't been that many cases of it happening... so it's really not a big deal... IMO...

on top of that... 4-7's is really good with warranty issues (so i've heard)...

KraZy

Jesseri

Newly Enlightened
This is a bit scary. I hope this is not a trend. Maybe the 7000 series alloy isn't the best material choice for such a thin walls :whistle:.

Was all of the broken D10s/EX10s used as a twisty?.

I have nothing bad to say about my Nitecore lights. Hope it'll stay that way.

It's a great to see that Edgetac stands behind their products. :twothumbs

EngrPaul:
Shame on you!. We all should have atleast two backups all the time ;)
Nice avatar, VIITEK YO! rocker arms :). Maybe from H22A?

Youfoundnemo

Enlightened
But all tools break, look at surefire, one of the most revered companys out there, there are thread about broken M6s broken 6Ps, broken E2es, broken titians...broken L-mini, broken arc AAA's broken p2ds, broken lf5sts....all tools break ALL of em just a matter of time

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
All lights may break, but this has become a repeat defect with three different unique body parts in the D10/EX10 series.
3? I am only aware of 2 unique body parts(which exhibited such a failure).
It would be nice to know the total number of each model that are in circulation, my guess would be that the actual failure rate is low. And I know my 3-EX10's and 1-D10 have no such defects and will be taken care of if any defect should arise.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
But all tools break, look at surefire, one of the most revered companys out there, there are thread about broken M6s broken 6Ps, broken E2es, broken titians...broken L-mini, broken arc AAA's broken p2ds, broken lf5sts....all tools break ALL of em just a matter of time

This is sorta a design issue thou, they should've tested the shear strength of aluminum at that thickness, or thiness rather, and find out it's not enough.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is sorta a design issue thou, they should've tested the shear strength of aluminum at that thickness, or thiness rather, and find out it's not enough.

Yes and that's my point as well. It doesn't matter very much to me how well a product is supported after the fact if it has design elements that are predisposed to failure.

Imagine designing the D10/EX10 head in a parametric solid modeling program like SolidWorks or AutoDesk Inventor. You make the sketch, and before you go to revolve it to make the part, you can plainly see that section and how thin it is. I suppose if the part was revolved as part of a thicker design and then thinned by a cut extrusion, then that section might have escaped scrutiny at that stage.

But still, that section is too thin.