Can any 2xAA light achieve 220 lumens?

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although I have a P3D-Q5 - a really impressive light - I am looking for a 2xAA light that easily exceeds 200 lumens. I am aware that several 2xAA lights are listed in the 180-190 lumen range. I do have the PD20 & L2D-Q5, but am still looking for an 2xAA light of reasonable quality that achieves something in the order of the 220 lumens listed for many of the CR123 lights. Does such a light saber exist?

Youfoundnemo

Enlightened
The human eye doesnt work on a linear lumen scale the extra 40 lumens wouldnt be as noticable as one is lead to believe. Try something with a tighter hotspot, it will look brighter even if it isnt

NightFlyer

Newly Enlightened
Well, if so, for a very short time. Batteries have a finite amount of energy and when you convert that much of it to light, even with a very efficient emitter and regulation, you are using up the energy in your batteries very quickly.

So I don't know the answer, but perhaps there is something out there that has a "burst" mode which produces the light you are looking for.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
They definately can, although probably need to be powered by nimh or lithium cells. A nimh aa has more or less the same watt hour as a cr123a, and a lithium aa has slightly more if I recall.

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually I was thinking of an AA light that could come close to the P3D-Q5 for brightness. I have used the P3D-Q5 for illuminating car-break-in thieves (major deer-in-headlight look!), the racoons in my backyard arguing in the trees, finding the path out of a cornfield stubble, etc. etc. Narrow shafts of light are not terribly useful - some spill is required. However for a variety of reasons I am also drifting away from the CR123 format back to the AA size. I would even tolerate a 3xAA format (in a triangle, not stacked!).

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I applaud you for AA desire. I have a nice 123 lite with Malkoff but find AAs more practical all in all.

Eagletac P10A2 is my next lite.

says 220 lumens with actual 180 lumens, brighter than L2D-Q5.

1:17 hours runtime on high, 8 hours on low.

My guess is that the actual 220 lumens you want will result in runtime like 45 minutes.

Not a problem per se if you have a spare 8-pack of AAs.

StarHalo

Flashaholic

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I applaud you for AA desire. I have a nice 123 lite with Malkoff but find AAs more practical all in all.

Eagletac P10A2 is my next lite.

says 220 lumens with actual 180 lumens, brighter than L2D-Q5.

1:17 hours runtime on high, 8 hours on low.

My guess is that the actual 220 lumens you want will result in runtime like 45 minutes.

Not a problem per se if you have a spare 8-pack of AAs.

Well, I caved in - I ordered the Eagletac P10A2. The brightness as listed on the light-reviews.com was enough higher to convince me that I would see a difference. The only confusing aspect to the light-reviews website was that some of the lights were listed using the 14500 Li-ion battery, not the AA battery. Nevertheless, the lux comparisons on light-reviews.com did match up fairly well with my first-hand impressions of several of the lights, be they Fenix or NiteCore.

From reading the reviews, the EagleTac appears to design their reflectors for a fair amount of spill light - in accordance with my preferences as well. I had a 2 million candlepower spotlight that focused nearly all of the output into a single shaft of light - nearly useless in the woods - the spot is so bright that your eyes are not able to adapt quickly enough and the spill is insufficient to find the target quickly.

Art

Enlightened
Led Lenser P5R will use one AA li-ion and have 200lumen , plus a nice lens to have tighter hotspot.
Probably my next light.

Regards,

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Led Lenser P5R will use one AA li-ion and have 200lumen , plus a nice lens to have tighter hotspot.
Probably my next light.

Regards,
If you are going to use AA li-ion (14500) for performance and save-costings, then just get a 18650 light... Some flashaholics are not very rational.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are going to use AA li-ion (14500) for performance and save-costings, then just get a 18650 light... Some flashaholics are not very rational.

Very rational. 18650 flashlight is noticeably longer and thicker than 14500/AA one.

1dash1

Enlightened
If you are going to use AA li-ion (14500) for performance and save-costings, then just get a 18650 light...

True enough for lights in general.

However, the Led Lenser lineup offers no 18650 model.

I was surprised that the 5R supported 14500 Li-ions. I tend to regard Led Lenser as flashlights intended for mainstream batteries, e.g., AAA, AA, C, and D cells (with a few button cell models).

HKJ

Flashaholic
Your have two problems with high lumen values, the first one is battery. Alkaline can not do it for very long, your need something better, either NiMH, Lithium or LiIon.
The next problem is heat and this is solved as long as your keep the flashlight in a tight grip, place it on a table and it will cook itself!

Your already got some recommendations, just remember the above two points when running them at full power.

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Eagletac 2AA is excellent...I got to handle one recently. May soon get one myself. If you're not quite satisfied with the power..try two Lithium AA batteries.

kenzo

Newly Enlightened
You might want to look at the Olight t25 - I don't really see many people on this forum recommending Olight..Is there a reason for this?

The Olight is brighter than the P10A2 and has a longer runtime + lower low. I really like the mode switching for Olights as well.

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
. . .but am still looking for an 2xAA light of reasonable quality that achieves something in the order of the 220 lumens listed for many of the CR123 lights. Does such a light saber exist?
I note you say "listed". So do you mean lights that the manufacturer claims put out 220 lumens, or lights that actually do? I don't believe any single chip LED light puts out over 200 lumens unless the LED is overdriven. This, of course, doesn't stop lots of manufacturers and dealers from claiming theirs do. If all you want is a light that's claimed to put out more than 200, it shouldn't be hard to find. eBay would be a place to start.

c_c