Surefire L4...I LOVE it. (w/Beamshots)

prime77

Enlightened
Ever since I got into decent lights I always wanted to start a Surefire collection. Slowly but surely I have started to build a good collection, but the one light I have always wanted was an L4 Lumamax and it always seemed to be beyond may grasp. When I heard Surefire was raising their prices I thought I would never get to hold one. But checking Ebay last week paid off and I got a brand new L4 for a fair price.

I have always heard about the L4s wall of light and wanted to witness this in person and I have to tell you guys, old technology be dammed I love the L4. The beam is so much different than the TIR optic beams of my other Surefire lights that are more throw orientated. Even my newer Fenix and Nitecore lights with there Cree-rings in the there beam can't touch the quality of the beam that comes from my L4. And the tint is a thing of wonder. A nice warm creamy white. I may be late to the party with my new L4 but I love it. It's what I always wanted in a EDC light. A great amount of light from a tough, small, package with a forward clicky tailcap, and good pocket clip. I took some beamshots of my TIR optic SF lights to show great flood capabilities of the L4.

045-1.jpg

031-2.jpg

013-2.jpg

015-3.jpg

017-2.jpg

020-5.jpg

022-1.jpg

024-2.jpg

025-1.jpg

028-3.jpg

You gotta love that L4 beamshot, I sure do. Throw isn't everything. Like I said old technology be dammed, I'm going to EDC my L4. Do any of you still carry yours?

Last edited:

shomie911

Enlightened
Well it's because all the other lights use optics which have less spill.

The L4 is all spill.

prime77

Enlightened
The L4 is all spill.
That's the point I was trying to illustrate with the beamshots. I think sometimes two much emphasis is put on having the longest throwing light. While I really like the beam out of the Surefire TIR optic lights. I like the L4 beam better.

shomie911

Enlightened
That's the point I was trying to illustrate with the beamshots. I think sometimes two much emphasis is put on having the longest throwing light. While I really like the beam out of the Surefire TIR optic lights. I like the L4 beam better.

A bright, floody beam is very useful. :thumbsup:

Patriot

Flashaholic

....and because of the Lux V's large die but relatively low surface brightness compared to the Cree or SSC.

Those are great pictures which illustrate the relative performance very well.

:goodjob:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

The L4 is all spill.

That is not his point. He enjoys the wide swath of light that the KL4 (L4) puts out and few lights the same size can do that. Yes, the Malkoff M60F can, but there is no comparison here size wise. Alll of the lights that prime77 mentioned are realatively small format sized lights. I have tons of throwy lights, but no small floody lights that light up the enviornment like my KL4, and it can be run in a one cell configuration.

Bill

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the beamshots. Still gotta lotta love for my L4 too. Tossed a McGizmo two-stage switch and a Li-ion in it a few years ago and made it even better.

-LT

SureAddicted

Enlightened
Great beamshots prime77. There's something about the L4 beam, it's hard not to love. Like you, I read a lot about it here on CPF and couldn't wait to get my hands on one either. You can guess the rest, and you may be late to the party, but the L4 will never go out of fashion, so to speak. ( at least for me anyway). Again, cool beamshots and keep it up.

BobG

Newly Enlightened
I still use mine everyday for walking my dog. By the way I need to get a new set of rechargeables for it. I am still using using pila 168s. Any suggestions for this time around. Thanks.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Good beamshots !

I so hope that SF will release an updated L4 with a similar beam profile. I already miss the L4.

bernie

1wrx7

Enlightened
I carried an older E1L modded with a Seoul and reflector for a lond time now. Optics can be great, but I need some spill for my EDC. This package had enough output and was very small. I never thought I would EDC a 2 cell again..... then my black L4 had a little surgery:grin2: Now it has a P7 instead of the LuxV:cool: Same beautiful wall of light but with a lot more output. I've had it in my pocket for the past few weeks and I can't see going back to the E1L for EDC. I still laugh a little when I see how much light comes from such a small package:crackup:

I'm glad you found the L4. It's an awsome light with a lot of versitillity. I woner if SF will update the L4:thinking: Most of their new lights seem to use optics. It would be nice to see a factory updated wall of light.

BTW...Great beamshots:D

Fooboy

Enlightened
Prime777,

I'd like to see a Beamshot of the L1 with the F04 Beamshaper compared with the L4.

L4 would win, but it would at least be more of a contest. I went camping recently and the F04 transformed my L1 and E2L into great flood lights.

prime77

Enlightened
Thanks guys for the kind words.

I'd like to see a Beamshot of the L1 with the F04 Beamshaper compared with the L4.

As for the L1 with the F04 with 65 lumens it just doesn't have enough punch to compare to the 100 lumen L4. The E2DL with the F04 the other hand compares quite well. It's just not the same as the L4.

003-6.jpg

005-5.jpg

028-3.jpg

Agent_Jaws

Newly Enlightened
Awesome pics :goodjob:

I don't suppose you have a M60 drop-in to compare it to by chance? I'm looking for something to replicate my L4 and am really curious how the M60 and M60L compare. My L4 has been my favorite light for a long time now, for close up lighting it's flat awesome.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Awesome pics :goodjob:

I don't suppose you have a M60 drop-in to compare it to by chance? I'm looking for something to replicate my L4 and am really curious how the M60 and M60L compare. My L4 has been my favorite light for a long time now, for close up lighting it's flat awesome.

There is a thread currently running that addresses this issue. Comparison there is 60LF and KL4.

Bill

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
It does have a nice beam. My wall of light, other than my Zebralights, is my CL1H with a SSC P7 in it for 300-400 lumens of floody light. :)

'

Note: Exposure 1 second, f2.8, ISO 100.

cl0123

Enlightened
Prime77,

Pictures do tell thousand words! Thanks for the comparison beam shots! Do you run your L4 with primary 123 cells or do you already have a rechargeable solutions?

I am afraid I might have read someone commenting about L4 being quite battery hungry. Otherwise, that type of wide-angle floor-to-ceiling beams certainly make more sense for household uses.

With Aloha,

Clarence

1996alnl

Enlightened
Thanks for posting these pics prime77,exellent work.
The Surefire L4 is an exellent light,i would recommend it to anyone.It's the best "in hand feel" light i own,and the most usefull,yes i like a beam that can travel but i'm not going to be able to see an object 600ft. away anyhow.
I took this light with me camping and let me tell you,you will appreciate the beam ten fold in the forest in pitch darkness. Simply amazing.
I could understand why Surfire hasn't really messed with this light for so long..it's perfect.

Take care