Took the kids out for Halloween

Vancouverite

Newly Enlightened
brought my newly arrived Olight M20 Premium.

It's a nice light and for a noob like me, it's bright. I realize there are much brighter lights out there, but I think I had the brightest light by far of all the people I saw carrying flashlights. I have to admit I felt a little sheepish turning it on because it was so bright. Too many people around to turn on such a bright light for fear of accidentally flashing it in someone's face. I also brought an Olight T15 and used that more as it wasn't as bright.

When I did get a chance to turn it on when others weren't around it was neat to see the throw. So far I've been collecting mainly single AA lights with the exception of a T10, and now the M20 and this new light is much brighter than any AA light I have.

I think for my use, I'm going to stick with mainly single AA lights as they seem to be bright enough for most of my use and the convenience factor of the AA light is nice. If I want brighter, well now I have an M20.

This site is really addictive!

spectrak

Newly Enlightened
Re: Took the kids out for Halloween tonight and

went out with my wife and daughter tonight and had my husky 4watt, t10, rominsen rc-n3 q5 and streamlight microstream after being on this site i just cant help myself. the husky did come in handy there was a car parked with high beams shining right in everyones eyes hit them with the husky right in the windshield and they quickly went to parking lights :crackup:

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast

We had fog and I was walking around turning off streetlights with a p60 drop in module (My dad's light) and playing with the perfect cone of light coming from the front.

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast

The pumpkin on our front step wasn't bright enough with just the flicker light gizmo my wife bought so I put in my Fenix L0D for extra light (set to medium). I was a little worried someone might steal it but then I figured no one would expect a $50 flash light to be in a pumpkin.

Greg

rala

Newly Enlightened

Just got home from 17 hours of Halloween. At one point in the night, I ran into another father with his children. He caught my attention when he lit up the walk way for his kids. Then, like a moth to a flame, I shot over and "Hi how are you doing tonite?" He noticed the maxfire in my hand and says "Oh I see you've brought a light too." I confirmed by holding it up. He then shows me his 4D mag. He shines it in a tree and asks if my light was as brite as his. So i obliged and shined mine in the same tree. His mag was noticeably brighter, which caught me off guard. I asked if he had done anything to it and he said he heard that putting a 3 cell bulb in it would make it brighter but he couldn't recall where he got the info.

Ok. So I took out my 6p w/Q5 drop-in and showed him how much brighter and smaller an led can be. But he wasn't impressed with "those led thingamajiggys." To show me what a really brite lite looks like, he took a 6d mag out from his pant pocket. I guess he had a hole in that pocket. He says he put a 4 cell bulb in it and uses it for emergencies. He then proudly shines it in the tree. I told him that it really was brite, but it was just too big of a light. So I showed him both my SF M6 w/MN21 and an Ultrafire wf500. He was really impressed by both lights but especially the Ultrafire. Only because I let him handle that one. My grip was too tight on the M6 and I didn't dare scare him off with its price tag new. I told him that the wf-500, rechargeable batteries and charger can be had for less than his two mags. That peaked his interest.

Just about then my daughter was pulling my arm saying she had to use the restroom. So before ending our conversation, I told him about our little forum and all the great info he can get. He jotted it down and put it in his wallet..... I think our cpf census just went +1.

Sarratt

Enlightened

The pumpkin on our front step wasn't bright enough with just the flicker light gizmo my wife bought so I put in my Fenix L0D for extra light (set to medium). I was a little worried someone might steal it but then I figured no one would expect a $50 flash light to be in a pumpkin.

Greg

I was going to do the same thing ... was being the operative word. I decided not to risk it .

Tomcat!

Enlightened

...he took a 6d mag out from his pant pocket. I guess he had a hole in that pocket.

Okay I think that goes beyond flashaholic and runs screaming into the realms of just plain weird!
:eeksign:

5.0Trunk

Enlightened
I went out with my kids and some neighborhood kids and had my DBS, L2D Q5, and P1D Q5 and guess what. I didn't even turn 1 light on the whole evening. I was disappointed.

Gatsby

Enlightened
Well I only took my Novatac 85P w/17670 tube and my Dereelight CL1H Q5 2SM with an OP reflector (just put the OP in). We have a lot of streetlights and general ambient light, so interestingly the Novatac was set to secondary - 22 lumens and for a lot of the trip it really wasn't enough light and I kept having to switch to max to light up walkways. My son was dressed as a robot and had a big box on so he needed more help than usual seeing where he was going on paths. Not a big deal and that is why max is there, and with the 17670 tube I didn't worry very much about running out of juice. I'm not wild about the extension tube giant Chap Stick form factor but for some applications the additional runtime is worth the size differential - in this case I had on a winter jacket so plenty of pockets.

However, I ended up switching to the Dereelight for a good portion of the night - the 2SM module on low was about perfect and it did a nice job of providing a good amount of usable light with high easily available if needed. I've tried a digital pill and found it not to be ideal - I use momentary a lot and found that I kept switching modes. The 2SM doesn't have the perfect digital regulation but 22 some odd hours on low and over 2 on high at 1000ma remains a really useful combination of levels and choices.

Other than for camping and really dark activities - where even low is too much light on the Dereelight and a 3SD pill would likely be more useful - the Dereelight has proven to be an excellent light and one I reach for more than I thought I would. Particularly now with the OP reflector and a slightly more usable beam profile for general use (although it is nice to be able to swap in the smooth reflector for serious throw). For EDC the Novatac remains pretty perfect and I intentionally set primary and secondary a bit low (well primary is for me 2 steps below default, I think secondary at 22 lumens may be factory, can't remember) as I tend to use lower levels more on a daily basis. If I'd been thinking at the time I would have programmed the secondary a bit brighter given the conditions, and the Novatac UI makes it easy enough to do that but I didn't even think of it - I guess I tend to be a set it and forget it user... This would be one circumstance where the sort of variable control like the EX10 and D10 (or U2/Titan etc...) would have been useful as it was hard to predict how much light you'd need at the beginning of the night and moving in and out of lit up houses, dark houses, streetlights, etc... kept you from having really dark adapted vision so when you needed some light you needed just the right amount.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

I was going to do the same thing ... was being the operative word. I decided not to risk it .
You very likely chose correctly...some fartknocker actually stole an ASHTRAY off our front porch last night!!! :mad:
And if some lowlife would steal an ashtray, you can just imagine if a Fenix were lighting up a pumpkin. :shakehead

sappyg

Enlightened
when i arrived home yesterday my package was in the table...... several days before i had ordered a malkoff M60LF...... i tore it open and slapped it into my 6p.
aside from the fact that this is the best LED i have ever seen the M60LF was perfect for trick or treat. the beam pattern (i should say flood pattern) was flawless and seems to have no begining or end. we have street lights but but some places were much darker than expected. the magic in the LF was that there was no beam (or rings) to flash people so that i bothered no one. others had lights as well but, nothing compared to the LF drop in. everything i got everything i had hoped for with th LF. needless to say i will be ordering more malkoff products.
this was the best halloween ever and the M60LF has changed my feelings toward LED.

rockz4532

Enlightened
i was just about to put my 3aa magled in the pumpkin, but it was too long, and i didnt risk my expensive lights, so i put 2 candles in it. i brought my p2dce, and didnt have to use it once

fireboltr

Enlightened
The better half and I took my brat out for a couple of hours....

Used the ra 100tw on high the entire time....I wanted to kill at least one battery but ummm....no
Carried the Surefire G2Z with Lumens Factory warm tint drop in for spot duty.

I ran the crap out of both lights and didnt manage to kill the batteries in either....

Ran into one other person with anything other than a yellow s*^t beamer. was one of those Smith and Wesson 6p wannabees. He was showing his other half that because its sooo bright it puts out alot of heat, he did this by lighting it and putting the lens to her skin. (DORK Glad he didnt havea hotwire to do this with). So at this point I said hello and he bagan to shine it at the sidewalk showing me how bright it is, and that its the brightest thing you can get that small... ( I thought yeah uhuh) so I turned on the Ra 100TW to high pointed at the ground in front of me, his reaction was well mine will light things down the street, so mines brighter....I explained to him that the RA was designed for edc not for throw and pulled the Surefire with LF out of my pocket and said that this one was more for throw with some spill and turned it on shinning down the street. His reaction was UMM shall we say WOW (cant repeat his words here). I told him that not only do both of these lights run longer than his they also run cooler, and they they are nothing compaired to some of the lights us flashoholics play with. He was impressed and we went our seperate ways.

Then I ran into some guy with 2 Rayovac 2d cell plastic thingies, He was telling some other people look how small and bright his light is, well untill I turned the Surefire back on to light a long dark walkway for the kid.

Funny part is that my better half was laughing at all these other people's lights the whole night saying that she didnt understand how we ever got along before the bug bit me.

bluecrow76

Enlightened
I brought my NT 120P and my quad Cree M@G. The M@G came in handy every time a kid in our group dropped their candy. I just lit the kid up from wherever we were standing so they could pickup every last piece. I kept strobing the kids with the 120P. They had fun dancing around in the strobe.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Inova X1-V2 hung around my neck from a surefire neck lanyard. For some reason for the past couple days its random flicker has stopped:thinking:. Great light, floody long running ~10 Lumens (when it works). The sandpaper surefire A2 mod works for any Nichia 5mm emitter to smooth blend the blue hot spot with the yellow flood.

Surefire M2 with Solarforce multi-mode drop in. The 40 Lumen low mode is perfect for all around use. I didn't really need to use the higher modes.

Novaflash

Newly Enlightened
Well I do not have kids but I did go on a ghost tour with some friends followed by barhopping and my Novatac 120p came with me. I used it on the lower settings mostly to illuminate pitch black pathways. My fiance kept using it on the lowest setting to look through her purse for god knows what but hey at least she is using flashlights. I also had a cr2 ion that I was recently given by a generous cpf member as a backup but did not have to use it.

I just love the versatility of the NT because like on the tour I could just do some quick reprogramming and have the light set to low first and I would not ruin the spooky factor with a flash of bright light.

Last edited:

chuck4570

Enlightened
I used a couple of Inova 24/7's in the pumpkins set with the amber LED's on flash, this worked out really well. The lights that I used to carry around were a Surefire E1L Outdoorsman, and a Surefire C2 with a Malkoff M60 in it.

Chuck

Tec40

Newly Enlightened
I took a Mag 4D cell 3watt LED and,my new Fenix E20 out with my family last night.Never had to use th Maglite,the E20 was more than enough.What an awesome light.I thought the throw was very good as well.Thanks again Fenix.

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast

You very likely chose correctly...some fartknocker actually stole an ASHTRAY off our front porch last night!!! :mad:
And if some lowlife would steal an ashtray, you can just imagine if a Fenix were lighting up a pumpkin. :shakehead

Fortunately no one stole my second most favorite light. (My MillerMods 3-level L0P is my EDC and favorite.)

Greg

aussiebob

Enlightened
I took my youngest sister out for a bit of trick or treating, used the L2D the most and had a good play with the G3-H09 combo, burnt through the 17500's suprisingly quickly, no spares, bugger..

Walked home through the bush reserve, sister had the E1B, she loves it, and i continued with the L2D, we light up a few kangaroos in the field which hoped away.

Had a gr8 time, its the only reason i know like halloween.:)