Surefire U2 P4 (Batteries & Maintenance)

astark

Newly Enlightened
I have just purchased my first good quality flashlight and got one heck of a great deal here at Candle Power Forums.

I had been researching for months here before making the decision that I did, and believe it was a good one, and I very much look forward to trying out this quality tool soon.

I do have some questions and would greatly appreciate your advice and input while I await my purchase arrival.

What would be the very best batteries to use in my Surefire U2 P4 and is there any recommended maintenance I should be aware of and practicing, especially with frequent and rugged use.

Thank You

astark

fireboltr

Enlightened
Got one too and it will take ALOT of crap from you in order to get it to fail.

As far as batteries are concerned I have had good luck on Surefires (duh), Titaniums, and Battery Station. Surefire's are expensive, but Battery Stations seem to be comming out of the same factory as the Surefires/Rayovacs. Titaniums can be had for 1.00$ each from battery junction, but Battery Stations can be had from them at 60$ shipped for 50 (using the cpf page) wich comes out to slightly less than 50 Titaniums shipped. If you dont want to mess with individual cells Titaniums can be had in shrink wrapped double and tripple sets, makes battery changes faster and eliminates the threat of mixing old and new cells.

As far as maintanance is concerned keep the threads/o-rings cleaned and lubed on both ends. I prefer Nyogel 760G. If it gets really dirty warm running water and dish soap seem to work well for the outside.

Other than this enjoy!!!!

Last edited:

DM51

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, astark.

We'll leave your thread here for the maintenance part of your question - this post contains some excellent advice.

You have already received some recommendations on batteries; more information is available in the Batteries section.

astark

Newly Enlightened
Thank You DM51

That maintenance thread was excellent, and I am one who probably would have excessively cleaned and used products I should not have.

I will be stopping by my local eye glass place for a lens cleaning kit and picking up some pure silicon grease from my auto parts store.

But about that battery section, I went back years and found all kinds of information, which has somewhat confused me. So I would like to confirm, will less expensive Battery Station 123's last just as long and power just as bright as the Surefire or any others, especially when the light is primarily used at brightest settings.

DM51

Flashaholic
I am glad that was helpful. I'll answer your follow-up query here, but if you have any further questions about batteries, please take them to the Battery section.

The new Battery Station cells performed well in SilverFox's 123 Battery Shootout, and I do not think there have been any complaints about them.

In your U2, they should do just as well as any other reputable brand. It is however essential to use matched cells in 2-cell and multi-cell lights - you should never mix cells which are different ages or brands, or have a different state of charge.

astark

Newly Enlightened
Oh my goodness, I just got home from the woods and this light is awesome, everything I expected and more.

Full power reaches way out there, medium is excellent for walking the deer trails back to the truck, and low power really works for reading fish and game regulations in the dark.

I can attest that the experts here have guided me in the right direction, and I thank you.

faucon

Enlightened
In your U2, they should do just as well as any other reputable brand. It is however essential to use matched cells in 2-cell and multi-cell lights - you should never mix cells which are different ages or brands, or have a different state of charge.
This point makes me wonder about cells that come already shrink-wrapped in sets of two or three. Even new cells aren't necessarily, in my experience, at the same state of charge. You could remove the cells from the plastic and test them, but this obviously defeats the advantage of the shrink-wrap. Perhaps new cells nowadays are more consistent than they were a few years ago. I mostly use rechargeables now so I seldom have to buy new CR123As.

Bradlee

Enlightened
Or in the U2's case you can use a protected 17670 cell for so called "guilt free" lumens.

I haven't been following the threads on the U2 P4 revision closely. Is the body machined smaller now so it can't accept 18650's (instead of having the removable insert)?

Congratulations on scoring a U2, BTW tebore :twothumbs

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't been following the threads on the U2 P4 revision closely. Is the body machined smaller now so it can't accept 18650's (instead of having the removable insert)?

Congratulations on scoring a U2, BTW tebore :twothumbs

Part of the reason why I got it was because I saw yours.
The new U2 can't use 18650s. The 17670 is thinner about the size of 2x123. It works fine in my U2.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the "old" Luxeon version. As there's no information on Surefire's website (still showing the Luxeon), does someone know the difference in the running time (at the highest output)?

Just curiosity : Why does anybody sell a "new" U2? Financial crisis??? :sick: