TK11 and the 18650 battery

canada16

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys.

I got my Fenix TK11 and I love it, I also bought the charger to go along with it.

Now my problem is, I am finding it hard trying to buy batteries as I am not a wiz on Mah and volts.

One place says it takes 2200Mah 3.7v and another says 2200 at 4.2v and then another website says it can take 200mah.

Which do i need and what do I need to look out for?

Does it matter how high the Mah is or volts ?

Can I get some advice please.

Thanks so much. :twothumbs

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately some people will say anything to sell a product.
3.7V on an 18650 is the average operating voltage. 4.2V is the voltage a Lithium Ion cell will be "hot off the charger". Most LiIon cells are 3.7V cells that get charged to a maximum of around 4.2V.
2200mAh is about right for an 18650.

Buy an AW cell or two. I believe 4sevens.com has free shipping which is a good thing - being in Canada I presume. You can also buy them directly from AW in the CPF marketplace; these are shipped air mail from Hong Kong iirc so shipping prices won't kill you there either.
Stay away from the glitter of cheap cells on discount websites and ebay. A couple extra bucks isn't worth burning down your house due to a poorly made or unprotected cell. Look aroun the electronics and batery section stickies for more LiIon info and buy yourself a cheap multimeter if you don't have one to be sure the cell charges and discharges properly.

18650s are great for flashlights. Enjoy! :grin2:

300winmag

Enlightened
I love the TK11,
I have yet to use the 18650 battery in it. I am thinking about getting some RCR123 batteries and a charger but sleeping beside a fire extinguisher doesn't sound like fun. Knowing my luck the extinguisher will blow up instead of the battery.

HKJ

Flashaholic
I love the TK11,
I have yet to use the 18650 battery in it. I am thinking about getting some RCR123 batteries and a charger but sleeping beside a fire extinguisher doesn't sound like fun. Knowing my luck the extinguisher will blow up instead of the battery.

Your know that any laptop computer uses the same type lithium-Ion battery?

The risk with LiIon is mostly related to poor quality and to mistreatment of the batteries. Get some quality batteries with protection and a good charger and the risk of exploding batteries are eliminated. Your can also get LiIon batteries with safe chemistry, they have lower capacity, but they can not explode when mistreated.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
AW brand cells.

For a charger I'd say a Pila IBC charger may be the best lower cost unit with safety in mind.
I have the ever popular Ultrafire 139 for some of my cells and it works; but I babysit it when in use a little bit.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depends on what you mean by "safe" chemistry and which cell size you want it in.

AW does not have 18650 LiFeP04 cells if that's what you're talking about. But I do think he hasRCR123s.
He is starting to introduce IMR cells, RCR123's right now, 18650s (and hopefully 14500 & 32600's) in the future.

He also has plain old "unsafe" protected 18650s.

Define "underwater" a bit more please. Do you mean in a dive rated light or bare circuit in a glass of water? AW is the one who did the photo of his LiFeP04 cell running some sort of light while siting bare in a glass of water iirc.

Last edited:

canada16

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys for all your help.

I actually live in the UK but was raised in canada.

I have the Ultra fire wd-139 Charger, so people are talking about not mistreating them or sleeping with a fire extenguisher.

Does the charger not have a auto cut off stopping over charge like a normal AA battery charger?

I have little children in the house and I dont want to use anything that might cause a risk.

They do sell the AW batteries you guys are talking about, but being rip off brittain they cost £10.00 each, which is 20 canadian or about 17 american, so really expensive.

Does anyone know a company that will ship world wide? only if these batteries are safe that is.

Will probably buy 1 for now and then look around for spares as need a battery as mine only came with the CR123A battery so it wont last long.

Thanks again guys you all have been so much help :thumbsup:

HKJ

Flashaholic
Sorry I am really new to this.

How do I know which one I have?

I dont want it to keep charging and it explodes in my face or even worse my kids.

How can they create a charger that does not stop, how unsafe is that?

Thanks for helping guys.

Sorry got my answer did not see this, it says auto cut off.
http://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/batteries/ultrafire-wf-139-charger.html

If your charger is less than a year old, it is probably ok, a bit older might also be ok, I do not know when they changed the circuit.
If you have a voltmeter, just measure the voltage on the charger terminals (without batteries in it), if it is less then 6 volt, it is a new model, above 10 volt is a old model.

short1uk

Newly Enlightened
Fenix uk are selling the batteries

Premium quality 18650 cells - 3.7 volt and rated at 2200 mAH. Suitable for use with the new Fenix TK11.
£11.95 each!!

Anyone know how much shipping is to the UK from the forum chap?

I am just about to buy a TK 11 and am looking which batteries and charger to get

Any suggestions?

Was thinking the Ultrafire charger and a couple of the AW batteries

Catherine

1996alnl

Enlightened
Fenix uk are selling the batteries

Premium quality 18650 cells - 3.7 volt and rated at 2200 mAH. Suitable for use with the new Fenix TK11.
£11.95 each!!
Catherine

No matter,it's still much cheaper (not to mention better for the environment) than buying CR123's.

Take care

TimmyBoston

Newly Enlightened
What is the advantage of the AW protected 18650s vs. protected Ultrafire 18650s?

Thanks!

buickid

Enlightened
AW is a great guy with great cells who stands behind his product. Ultrafires quality may be sketchy. In general ____fire (besides Surefire!) products are made in China and may lack strict quality control.

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
Apparently there have been issues with the ultrafire cells. I have some trustfire cells, and they have been perfectly fine. Apparently the trustfire cells are the best of the ____fire ones.