Cree MC-E modded U2: First Impressions

gottawearshades

Enlightened
[FONT=Verdana, Arial Black][FONT=Verdana, Arial]I recently purchased this modded U2 from AaronM, and I've had some fun playing with it lately. Here are some first impressions on this mod.

As you can see from the pics in the other thread, it looks like it came out of the factory this way. The emitter fits in the reflector perfectly.

The Beam: The screenshot AaronM posted is accurate. Let's not mince words. The beam is butt ugly. I can see why Milky puts diffuser film on most of his quad-die builds. A very big, very splotchy hotspot with a very bright corona. The hotspot is very white. The corona is rather yellow. I never had a Lux U2, so I can't compare. The hotspot is bigger than on a NovaTac, and the corona is about as bright.

The weirdest thing about the beam is that there's no donut, but within arm's reach there's a distinct dark "X" in the middle of the beam(!).

Outdoors, you don't notice anything wrong with the beam, and it seems I can see colors better than with some other lights.

Level 5 completely lights up a yard 40 feet by 35 feet, and could probably do better if I had more yard.

I haven't yet taken it anyplace where I can see how it throws. I was hoping for a lot of throw, but this has more flood than expected, so I might be disappointed.

Level 4 gave me all the light I could need to see everything during a night walk though a wooded area. The depth and color seemed very good, I've got to say. I'd see myself using Level 3 most often.

Heat: After running on level 6 for twenty minutes or so, it gets plenty hot. Not painful, but I wouldn't call it comfortable, either.

Brightness: Here are my best estimates on brightness levels. I used highly scientific ceiling bounce test procedure, and I tried to be conservative.
Level 1 5 lumen maybe ? (pretty low anyhow)
Level 2 ~20 l? (nicely spaced in between 1 and 3)
Level 3 60 (about the same as my Fenix TK 10 on Medium)
Level 4 100 (about the same as NT 120p on Max)
Level 5 200 (about the same as my TK 10 on Hi)
Level 6 400 maybe (plenty bright, but my Milky 540-lumen monster is clearly brighter)

Levels 1 through 3 seem perfectly spaced, you could miss the jump between 3 and 4, and the biggest jump is between 4 and 5.

Nothing else to report, except that this is a fun light to take into the woods!
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Last edited:

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ohh, I was looking for a 2 cell light and if I had seen that I would've gotten it instead of inova inforce pre-order.

gottawearshades

Enlightened
OMG!
Where can I get one of those? =o]

Overall, are you happy with the light?

You betcha. A great utility light, with a screaming high beam if I need it. I think everybody needs one.

Thanks, Aaron!

Last edited:

Bradlee

Enlightened
That looks like a great alternative to the U2by2 style mod, which I would never attempt myself. Let us know if you ever try it with some diffusion film...I'd be curious to see how that would improve the beam.

gottawearshades

Enlightened
Hey, just to be clear, the beam is plenty useful outside in the woods. It just wouldn't be my choice to hunt white walls with.

Bradlee

Enlightened
Hey, just to be clear, the beam is plenty useful outside in the woods. It just wouldn't be my choice to hunt white walls with.

Yeah, I get what you're saying. Sadly my U2 sees more use indoors than out though, and my whole apartment just happens to be painted white :laughing:

Superdave

Enlightened
I wonder if there is a different reflector that we could pop in that would improve the throw..

I'll take mine apart further and get some measurements. :D

Superdave

Enlightened
Reflector is part of the head. Looks like you have to mill out the reflector to pop a McR27 in there.

So is that what Milky does when he makes the U2by2?

I'm looking into the McR27 right now.. also a few others.

*edit... i tried to remove the "crown" from the U2's head, holy crap is that thing on there good!

Of course i managed to scuff the head a little in the process :(

Last edited:

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast

*edit... i tried to remove the "crown" from the U2's head, holy crap is that thing on there good!

That's why I didn't bother to try to open the lens portion of the head. If you search for pics of the U2 you'll see one completely dissected and the reflector is part of the head. It's part of how Surefire is able to provide enough thermal mass to run the Lux V as hard as they do.

Superdave

Enlightened
Well, as soon as my xmas bonus arrives i think i'm going to buy myself a mini-lathe from harbor freight and just spin out a new head since i managed to mess this one all up. :(

I've wanted one for a while, now i have an excuse to get one. :grin2:

ICUDoc

Enlightened

Now you've scuffed it up it's easier to work on it! Heat the head with a hair dryer (I use a small blowtorch very gently) and use wood blocks in a vise to hold the base and a rubber grip sheet to turn the crown bezel. Takes a fair bit of force. I needed to take mine off to clean the lens after doing the other mods- otherwise it isn't important. Good luck.

Superdave

Enlightened
I went to twist off the head earlier and the top ring just came loose, took very little effort to come off... lol

Of course, after the heat i used earlier today dulled the reflector finish i'm still out a working light. :mecry:

I'm considering just polishing the reflector surface to clean off the SF OP coating and going full smooth for now. If possible later on i'll hog it all out and use one of the reflectors designed for the MC-E. There is alot of material there and i don't see it being an issue. Even a MOP reflector from a P60 dropin was an improvement in throw on the Lux 5 VS the stock one.

I'll start my own thread when it all comes together ;)

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went to twist off the head earlier and the top ring just came loose, took very little effort to come off... lol

Of course, after the heat i used earlier today dulled the reflector finish i'm still out a working light. :mecry:

I'm considering just polishing the reflector surface to clean off the SF OP coating and going full smooth for now. If possible later on i'll hog it all out and use one of the reflectors designed for the MC-E. There is alot of material there and i don't see it being an issue. Even a MOP reflector from a P60 dropin was an improvement in throw on the Lux 5 VS the stock one.

I'll start my own thread when it all comes together ;)

How'd you get it off so easy the second time? When you to bore out the reflector do get some pics.

Superdave

Enlightened
How'd you get it off so easy the second time? When you to bore out the reflector do get some pics.

Not sure, i remembered a thread about boiling SF parts to loosen the glue so that's what i did but with it right out of the pot the ring still wouldn't budge.. but once it cooled off it came right out.

On a side note, i just finished getting the OP coating off the reflector, it is anodized underneath that so I hit it with the mediablaster (glass media) and then gave it a quick polish. I still have some areas that aren't perfect but wow.. the throw is pretty good now!

I can see a hotspot about 50' into my back yard, before it was all floody.. the ugly Lux rings are still there (a little worse than before) but after a bit more polishing i think it'll be pretty decent.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure, i remembered a thread about boiling SF parts to loosen the glue so that's what i did but with it right out of the pot the ring still wouldn't budge.. but once it cooled off it came right out.

On a side note, i just finished getting the OP coating off the reflector, it is anodized underneath that so I hit it with the mediablaster (glass media) and then gave it a quick polish. I still have some areas that aren't perfect but wow.. the throw is pretty good now!

I can see a hotspot about 50' into my back yard, before it was all floody.. the ugly Lux rings are still there (a little worse than before) but after a bit more polishing i think it'll be pretty decent.

Can we trouble you for some pics?:naughty: