Help choosing between a Pelican 8060 or a Malkoff Triple.

Pelican 8060 Malkoff Triple or something else

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Optik49

Enlightened
I'm trying to decide between a Pelican 8060 or a Malkoff Triple. If I get a Triple it will go in a 4C Mag or 3DMag. I had a single in a 3D and I was not very impressed. Don't get me wrong I have an M60 and I love it.

What do you think?

LightKnife

Newly Enlightened
I'd go for the malkoff because the 8060 does not offer any advantage over the 7060 and is smaller in size. If you got for the 8060 route you may want to look into the 7060.
The tripple does over 750 lumens and the output is pretty close.

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I loved my Malkoff stuff, but if something happens to the light, you'd better hope it is with the drop-in. The 8060 is covered by Pelican's rock solid lifetime warranty. Anything goes wrong, they fix it. Period. Plus, the 8060 goes rechargable and/or primaries. I don't have the 8060, but I do have the 7060 and it is simply awesome. It stands to reason that it's bigger brother is on the same level.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmmmm....... maybe I'm missing something, but these seem to be be two VERY different animals. On 4 cells the Malkoff Triple is rated to deliver 750+ lumens while the Pelican 8060 is rated at 190 emitter lumens.

If you had a Malkoff single in a 3D Mag and weren't impressed, I doubt you would be impressed by the Pelican 8060.

Maybe if you told us a bit more about your intended use we could help you select the best light for that specific application.

Personally I would love to have either, or even better (of course) both! I think the Pelican 8060 would make an excellent rechargeable duty light for everyday use providing bright and useful light for up to 6 hours, with the added bonus of being able to use 4 common alkaline C cells if need, while the Malkoff would give you a super bright light for approx. 2-3 hours and the ability to change it to different size bodies depending your current need.

So, if you need a super bright light go with the Malkoff Triple. If you are wanting a more general purpose everyday rechargeable solution with longer runtime go with the Pelican 8060.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmmmm....... maybe I'm missing something, but these seem to be be two VERY different animals. On 4 cells the Malkoff Triple is rated to deliver 750+ lumens while the Pelican 8060 is rated at 190 emitter lumens.

FALSE.
The 8060 is underrated minimum torch lumens, while the Malkoff is estimated emitter lumens.

And the 8060 throws farther. Also (pretty obviously) has longer runtime.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast

FALSE.
The 8060 is underrated minimum torch lumens, while the Malkoff is estimated emitter lumens.

And the 8060 throws farther. Also (pretty obviously) has longer runtime.
Apologies if I was wrong with that statement, however it still appears to me that there is a big difference between these two lights in brightness, beam shape, and runtime.

So it's really a matter of which will serve Optik49's intended purpose better.

Optik49

Enlightened
It will be a full size light for a cruiser bag. I have a G2Z with a M60 on my belt. So now thinking about it, I want something equal or brighter in a full size light. I think I'm leaning towards the triple. Bright and many different options.

curtispdx

Enlightened
It will be a full size light for a cruiser bag. I have a G2Z with a M60 on my belt. So now thinking about it, I want something equal or brighter in a full size light. I think I'm leaning towards the triple. Bright and many different options.

You'll be real happy with the Malkoff. I liked mine. BTW, I've got a 8060 on the way and am a current owner of the 7060 too. I suspect that neither of them will be as bright as the triple. May I suggest that you also look at the Elektrolumens P7? Awesome...

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The triple is the better deal. You can put it into the mag-light host of choice. Its rugged, versatile. If you are going to run 3D cells that are those 10,000mAh batteries, you have great brightness and long run time. If you damage the host, no big deal, its a low cost replacement.

Optik49

Enlightened
"If you are going to run 3D cells that are those 10,000mAh batteries, you have great brightness and long run time."

MrGman,

Can you tell me a little more about the batteries I should use? I am assuming the 10,000mAh batteries you are talking about are rechargeable D batteries. I like the 3C size Mag. Could I put CR123' in a 3C Mag? Or would you recommend the 3D size for max output? Which setup would be the biggest difference compared to my m60?

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast

Optik49

Enlightened
What charger do you use? Is it a 3 or 4 bay charger? The reason I was thinking C is I keep reading about members putting a cut piece of PVC and using C batteries.

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
What charger do you use? Is it a 3 or 4 bay charger? The reason I was thinking C is I keep reading about members putting a cut piece of PVC and using C batteries.

A charger like this would work well:
http://thomasdistributing.com/shop/...html?SP_id=&osCsid=ksdcabu0mkmeaicvi8qnhirhu1

I think a cut piece of PVC and C batteries might be to run a 6-cell bulb/LED in a 2D Maglite using Lithium Ion (3.6V) cells. This is a good solution for maximum power in a smaller size, but will give less run time. For a triple LED drawing over 3 amps you would get around 3 hours run time on D cells vs 1 Hour on the LiIon cells.

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
i cut some pvc pipe to get 3 x c cells (3.6v) into my 2 x D (2.4v) maglite.

to run my 2-3 cell malkoff

increased voltage is a little brighter

in a smaller host

works well.

DustinM

Newly Enlightened
The Pelican 8060 is the way to go. The fact that it is rechargable with the included base and the constant 190 lumen output for a burn of six hours is what sold me. In my opinion, no other flashlights come close to the Pelican 8060. If you break it, you dont get the part that broke but instead they send out a whole new light. Thats some trust in their own product if you ask me!