Reflector compatibility MC-E vs Q5?

CampingLED

Enlightened
I was wondering if the same reflectors can be used for a MC-E that are designed for other cree emitters (Q5, R2 etc.). Thinking of upgrading a current Q5 light with a MC-E.

From the data sheets (does not show diameter of LED lens for MC-E) it seems like the physical dimentions may be ok. Will finding the right depth in the reflector be the main criteria?

My feeling is that if you are at the right spot in the reflector the beam will be consentrated quite well.

I have an old 6D Mag with a reflector that was cut down a lot for the now installed Q5 and the throw is very close to an aspherical lens. Not the light I have in mind for this mod.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beam will be even more floody than with SSC P7 in the same reflector.

KowShak

Enlightened
The central hole in the reflector may require some enlargement otherwise the MC-E won't go through it. MC-E vs Q5 in the same reflector, my thinking is that the hot spot will be larger due to the larger die area of the MC-E but will have the same intensity as roughly as the Q5 all other things being equal (you'll need to feed 4x the power to the MC-E).

CampingLED

Enlightened
From side-by-side pictures that I have seen and info available in the data sheets, it does seem that they physically need the same diameter hole in the reflector. I will rather keep the old LED than to try and modify the reflector and get dust on it.

I have decided that I will only do this mod when I have a M-bin MC-E in my hand. Unfortunately still difficult to get my hands on it.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
From side-by-side pictures that I have seen and info available in the data sheets, it does seem that they physically need the same diameter hole in the reflector. I will rather keep the old LED than to try and modify the reflector and get dust on it.

I have decided that I will only do this mod when I have a M-bin MC-E in my hand. Unfortunately still difficult to get my hands on it.
In the case of the MC-E, the glass dome is as wide as the aluminum ring was on the XR-E. If your reflector is the type that snaps onto the outside edge of the ring (eg, the ring fits inside the hole), the MC-E will fit. If the reflector has a smaller opening, such as the ones that rest ON TOP of the ring, it will not work with the MC-E.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just wondering, has someone tried MC-E in MCR reflector? I know it doen't work well with IMS20 (very floody beam).

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
Crap. Still pure flood. Seems like P7 is much better thrower than MC-E...

Energie

Enlightened
It is not a thrower, right.
But remember, the stock Surefire L2 (or L4) is not a dim light (Lux V).
And then look at the pictures again.
The distance to the tree is approx. 10 yards.

Last edited:

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can't expect that MC-E will throw with small McR19 reflector. P7 also needs pretty big reflector to make some throw.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know they both need bigger reflector to make some throw. But with MCR20 P7 has some hotspot (not much intensive but there is) while MC-E doesn't...

EDIT. I think I have to wait for Ledil Boom reflector.

Last edited:

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found that it behaves more like a SSC P4
The McR-38 and McR-27S work Great!
All the Cree Reflectors I tested failed to put out a nice beam
Except the MRV reflector... deep reflectors seem to do the trick.

Latest posts