is the surge the same output as the 8aa double barrel?

Azreal911

Enlightened
what, a surge for 20 bucks? that'd be cool! cause i've never seen them up in canada. sunspot can you email me to [email protected] so i can get your address and stuff? thanks. oh boy new toy!

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have beam shots and LUXasurements of both lights at:
http://az123.com/darksbane/beamshots_&_lux.htm

The advantage of the DB is that it has a focusable head- You can focus it down to a really tight spot so that it gives the second highest LUX measurement of all the lights that I have tested and therefore great "throw" (second only to a 5D MagLight at tightest focus).

The Surge is a more compact package, and generally more convenient, if less adaptable than the DB8.

The DB8 has a "cool factor" to it- for some reason every time I see a DB I think "Cool design, interesting engineering." But most of the time, I grab the Surge.

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
is the Surge for $20 still available?
grin.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Originally posted by sunspot:
Sorry. I should have been clearer. The 8AA DB for $20 to Canada.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hay Dana! Surge for $20 shipped? I'll take two! (hee hee, J/K!)

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
The DB8AA with the stock bulb is much dimmer than the Surge. The DB8AA with a W/A 4.8 V 1.1 A bulb and alkalines is considerably brighter and whiter than the Surge's bulb that also draws 1.1 A. The Surge bulb is a T-1 3/4 size and the DB8AA is an incompatible T-2 1/4 size.

The Surge is the brightest OEM alkaline AA light of its size I know. The considerably larger DB8AA is a nice platform for lots of mods while I'm unaware of any Surge mods.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hay Dana! Surge for $20 shipped? I'll take two! (hee hee, J/K!)
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Heck, I'll take four!!!!!!

Is there anyplace I can buy a decent bulb for the 8AA DB? I know WA is out due to the min order cost.

Azreal911

Enlightened
Hi there i was wondering if the energizer 8aa double barrel the same light output as the princeton tec surge? they both seems to use the same 4x2 battery configuration. which bulb is brighter? since they are both bi pins it seems totally interchangeable with each other which isn't bad at all.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Probably the surge. The double barrel is wired in Parallel so it's actually 6 volts from 8 batteries, the Surge (Maybe) is in series, meaning 12 volts from 8 batteries. Perhaps I am off my rocker again though
tongue.gif

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not even close. I bought a 6AA and a 8AA. POS,s IMHO. Go with the Surge anyday of the week.

Mr. Blue

Enlightened
actually the surge is series and parallel. It is a 6v light with more amp hours.

The Surge is one of 3 incandescent lights I have left...it is awesome

Azreal911

Enlightened
what's WA? and does anyone have a webpage to it? i want to check out what they have. as for the surge or DB AA. the surge beats it for compactness. it's bright as a surefire with a somewhat small package and a really nice runtime. even with 8AA it's still cheaper than 2 123's. hahaha. but right now i just have a 4c maglite in my car with a hpr50 bulb. that thing is blindingly bright! it's serving itself pretty well around the side of my seat. and works as a club if needed!
wink.gif

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
WA=Walsh Allen. I don't have a web address for them. I understand that they have a $100 minimum order.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welch Allyn's Web page wizard follows:

The DB's use T-2 1/4 bulbs. Ake and I arranged a group buy two months ago and I expect to be interested in participating in another group buy by September.

Choose T-2 1/4 as size and "S" as the base type.

For any given bulb, you can click "rerate lamp" to see the impact on various parameters of increasing or decreasing voltage by up to 10%.

http://www.walamp.com/selectionwizard.asp

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
lemlux. Thanks for the link. Would you please help me out on this. I wish a bright bulb for a 6AA DB. Going by the link I belive my choice would be #01183. Yes? Or maybe #01286.
TIA.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sunspot:

01286 Is the OEM bulb for the DB6AA. This bulb is far brighter in a DB4AAA or DB4AA modded to run in serial rather than serial / parallel. It generates about 72 L in my DB4AA's.

01183 is a very high amperage bulb that would probably be underdriven in a DB8AA with NiMHs in serial / parallel because of voltasge drop. The wattage is too high for the reflector. Other threads on the topic come to the conclusion that 9 to 10 watts is about as far as one can safely push the DB reflector and switch assembly for more than a couple of minutes at a time. I'm waiting for some Carley aluminum reflectors I've ordered. I will combine them with W/A ceramic sockets for these bulbs, A 10 amp microswitch and run the 6.0 V 3.35 A 20 W 01111 bulb in a DB8AA with 7 rechargeable 2700 mAh A NiMH cells and a dummy. The voltage drop from the high current will give me a modestly overdriven bulb that should generate about 649 Lumen at 6.6 V 3.53 A and 23 Watts.

I personally run my DB6AA's in serial. I like the 01315 bulb with NiMH's. I'm inclined to try a 01165 or an 01124 with 6 NiMHs. The 01315 is pricy at $7.18 @, and I suspect the 6.0V bulbs may be cheaper.

Azreal911

Enlightened
hey do you guys know what size of a bulb does the SL scorpion uses? i'm looking for something probably longer running for camping trips which can be useful on that page. i'll join in on the group buy if there is such a thing.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Woah, system overload. I'm printing this page for homework. 9w sounds fine for me.