Please helpme to pick ONE cr2 light....

4Pigs

Newly Enlightened
I've did a few search on the forum but still can't make a decision.....JIL, MYSHONDT, RAW NS.....they are all good ones, but I can pick one only.

As I'm EDCing a few lights, the new member will replace my DX10.

1.Rechargable solution is a must
2.Small, but no need to be smallest
3.Around $200
4.Splash proof
5.30mins runtime (high output)is enough

Thanks

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is too bad that rechargeable batteries are a must because the Aeon is quite possibly the best EDC ever. I have used my Ti Aeon since I got it and have only run through one battery.

I haven't tried out the Orbs yet even though I was very tempted for the Orb Ra Titanium version.

The only other CR2 light that I have owned is the Surefire Titan and it is a fantastic light also.

Good luck.

mspeterson

Enlightened
+1 to the Goat

Having owned all the lights you mentioned as well as a few others, the Aeon/Ion is the clear winner IMHO; I wear one around my neck 24/7. Rechargables are great for heavily used power hogs, but I prefer the use of primarys in my Ion & Aeon since they have such a "light" appetite.

Of course, the best way to find out what works for you is to buy them all at the same time and compare head to head...:devil:

Not_Holic

Newly Enlightened
I can't speak for the RAW NS or the JIL as I own the Muyshondt Nautilus and Aeon lights. I do agree with mspeterson and goatee in regard to the Aeon. It is an amazing little light that hold its own with or surpasses most one cell RC123 lights for brightness and runtime. Its size will fool you!

I use rechargeable 3.2v LiFePO4 cells in the Nautilus and get 55 minutes runtime in regulation on the high beam. Low beam should be 25 hours. RC123 cells get 2.75 hours in regulation on high and 75 hours on low.

I have ordered some LiFePO4 cells for the Aeon, and expect to get about 25 minutes runtime on high and 12 hours on low beam. I like the Aeon so well that I am going to order another for backup while they are still available.

You won't go wrong with an Aeon!

Dale

4Pigs

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, hope my order @ lighthound has not been sent yet so I can add an Aeon in my order...

4Pigs

Newly Enlightened
I have ordered some LiFePO4 cells for the Aeon, and expect to get about 25 minutes runtime on high and 12 hours on low beam. I like the Aeon so well that I am going to order another for backup while they are still available.

You won't go wrong with an Aeon!

Dale

So...do you mean that I can still use rechargeable batteries in AEON?
Anyway.....I've ordered one, as I noticed that RAW is not a regulated light...

Not_Holic

Newly Enlightened
So...do you mean that I can still use rechargeable batteries in AEON?
Anyway.....I've ordered one, as I noticed that RAW is not a regulated light...

Enrique Muyshondt, maker of the Nautilus and Aeon lights does NOT recommend the use of RCR123 or RCR2 cells in his lights. I think he is referring to the LiIon 3.7v cells. I have never used them in either light and don't plan to. I do use LiFePO4 3.3v cells in both lights with good results and no apparent downside.

I just received some UltraFire LiFePO4 RCR2 cells from DX his morning and tried one in the Aeon. It burned on high beam for 36 minutes, in regulation, at over 100 lumens, as taken out of the package. This should provide 25 hours runtime on low beam. When I later charged it, it showed a capacity of 225 mah.

Batteries for the Aeon are not an issue since runtimes are so long. I don't know how the h*** Enrique gets so much light for so long from so little.

I am sure you will enjoy the Aeon.

Last edited:

4Pigs

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for picking the right light for me:twothumbs.
Can't wait to get the new tool and statement (to hide).......

Gatsby

Enlightened
Well I'm comparing a Jil JCR2 IT (with a P4 upgraded emitter) right now with my relatively new CR2 Ion trying to decide on one CR2 light. The Ion is RCR2 compatible but Enrique does not recommend using them in any of his lights (mostly due to the volatile chemistry) and FWIW on a 3.7v RCR2 the low on the Ion is nearly the same level as high - not really functional. The 3.2v cells would be a nice compromise.

On the other hand, the JCR2 IT doesn't really work well on anything BUT RCR2's. It runs on a primary but is a LOT dimmer.

It's a bit of a quandry and the Aeon is probably the solution on 3.2v cells. I like a lot of things about the Jil, the programmability is nice and the beam with a P4 and the McR18 reflector is very, very nice and quite useful. Plus the free lumens on RCR2s is quite nice and generally the ability to use rechargeables is a must have. The build quality is very high as well. But the body and head are about the same length and thus there is not much real estate to hold on to when twisting the head to operate it one handed. And I'm a bit lukewarm to the twist on/off flupic interface although it is about the only solution to maintain the small size.

The ION on the other hand is a similar form factor but I like the round shape with knurling a bit more than the squared off Jil format. I also like the head screws into body design which makes one hand use easier. I like the floody beam although the Jil is arguably more versatile. The lack of rechargeable options is really the only thing that keeps me on the fence (and the lack of programmability - it IS nice to be able to pick levels).

I'll have to look into the LifePO CR2s...

Does the Aeon run on the LifePo cells the same as on primaries? i.e. are the levels the same?

Not_Holic

Newly Enlightened
I'll have to look into the LifePO CR2s... Does the Aeon run on the LifePo cells the same as on primaries? i.e. are the levels the same?[/QUOTE said:
The Aeon is fully regulated and operates at exactly the same levels on LiFePO4 cells as it does with primaries. The downside of using LiFePO4s is their lack of capacity compared to LiIons. The Aeon is so frugal that it doesn't matter much.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF Quatropuerco!

You will be very pleased with the Aeon. If you're using a rechargable cell it will probably self discharge faster than the Aeon consumption rate on low beam.

Enjoy!

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
To those yet again engaged in the rechargeable discussion:

The Aeon and Nautilus were designed around 3V cells, the standard lithium batteries available off the shelf that are used in cameras and various other electronic equipment. The rechargeable versions of these cells are not properly designed and have a far higher voltage than what they should given their intended application - this is not my fault, and not something that I can easily design around, nor do I have any interest in doing so.

The Aeon and Nautilus are equipped with a very efficient board optimized for running in boost mode off of primaries. Primary cells have a voltage of roughly 3 volts. If you get a rechargeable cell that is properly designed, as has been noted by folks here, the light works exactly as you would expect it to - the circuit doesn't care what the source of the voltage is so long as it's the right voltage.

The LEDs in my lights have a forward voltage of roughly 3.3 Volts. For a boost converter to function, it needs to be able to do just that, boost, which means that the voltage of the battery must be somewhere beneath that. Most rechargeable cells do not do not fit this requirement because of their poor design of being allowed to be overcharged up to 4.2 volts. Chances are high that if you actually tried to put some of these cells in a camera, which is what the cell size is/was primarily used for, particularly if the camera has multiple cells in series for power, that you'd blow the internal circuit.

Now, someone could counter the point above by saying "You could use a buck-boost converter instead". Yes, I could, but there are very good reasons not to. The majority of buck-boost converter chips out there cut off regulation at somewhere within the two-point-something volt range - running off a 3 volt cell, your runtime would be significantly diminished compared to my current solution which sucks the cell nearly dry. So, while this may allow you to run badly manufactured cells in the light as well as primaries, you have some very serious drawbacks towards running in that configuration.

As for those who opt for programability of some kind, you'll have to look elsewhere for that because you won't see it from me. I like fully regulated lights, not LDO or PWM "regulation", and I like simple off-low-high continuous switching and not repeated on-off cycles in order to get a flashlight to do what I want it to do. To me, for my uses, interfaces such as the FLuPIC, lights with "tactical strobe" and all these other options built into the light are feature bloat and hinder rather than help my use of the light in any conceivable situation I'm in. Of course, you're mileage may vary in that regard, but lights that do this are outside of my design philosophy and I hope this explains a little bit as to why.

Now, to address the topic of the rechargeable cells proper. Standard rechargeable lithiums hate being overcharged. The also hate being overdischarged. They have a propensity to explode when mistreated. Unprotected cells are particularly suspect to this, and the protection circuit in protected lithiums isn't designed or intended to be a multi-use device for repeated failsafes against overdischarging, and it is not something I would comfortably rely on for safety against an exploding cell. Moreover, just because the impact on an electric bill is small to recharge a cell, there is no such thing as "free lumens". You may not be physically throwing a cell away into a landfill, but you are having some lumps of coal burned somewhere to provide the power to recharge your cell - either way something is happening that has its drawbacks, you cannot get a free lunch.

Regardless of which chemistry you try to feed to any of my lights, the converter will suck the cells down to below their safe discharge threshold. This allows for maximal runtime around the cells the light is designed to work off of. As has been noted by others here, and I'll reiterate again myself, for all the reasons above I do not recommend the use of rechargeable cells in my lights. Should you choose to use them despite this, any effects resulting from their use are entirely your own responsibility.

Every single design one chooses to make is a compromise between a wide variety of alternatives. I could make a light that does everything you could ever conceivably want it to do, but it would not be small, and it would not be cheap. My designs are done to try to achieve a nice (in my opinion) balance of size, output, runtime, and durability. I believe that the Nautilus and Aeon both do this well, and I can say that I'm genuinely pleased with the way they perform. Will they satisfy everyone's wants or needs? Probably not. They will, however, provide a good amount of light when you need it, for a long time, in a minimally small and very durable package.

At the end of the day I suppose this post comes as a response to a theme that is somehow recurrent every few months about rechargeable batteries that never seems to be adequately addressed because it keeps coming up. :nana: Hopefully this will provide sufficient insight as to the hows and the whys about the operation of these lights to at last settle the discussion.

And finally, I sought to address some of the points made in this thread all in one fell swoop, but this whole discussion is arguably off-topic from the original intent of thread; if you wish to discuss this further feel free to contact me via PM or e-mail, or post in any of the Aeon or Nautilus threads of mine, as this is not the place for that sort of discussion.

-Enrique
(By the way, the names of all the lights I've ever made are the CR2 Ion, Nautilus, and Aeon. Not the ION, and not the AEON - the names were not intended to be yelled when spoken. :nana:)

Last edited:

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well said Endeavour. While I do not have one of your lights "as of yet", I admire the design philosophy and the extremely efficient circuit designed for the intended voltage/cell. The Aeon is a very nice light as is the Nautilus. These lights fit into their own catagory and differentiates them from others out there. Highly recomended just from the specs and reviews.

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have owned all of Enrique's lights, Cr2 Ion (both versions), Nautilus and Aeon. I alternate an Aeon and Nautilus for EDC. Just purchased an "original" proto Magnesium Cr2 Ion, as I really like the flood beam. :twothumbs

All of Enriques' lights have performed well (have had both Ti and Alum) and have exceptional battery life....I now use almost exclusively, primary batteries, as they last a long time and I don't have to re-charge and worry about the issues that are stated by Enrique, above. McGizmo's LS 20, Surefire Titan and a Spy007 are also in my rotation and they use primaries, as well.

I purchased a "high end" Triton charger, several years ago and invested in re-chargeables; if I had it to do over, I would stick with primaries and lights that use primaries. Simpler and no worries about over and under dis-charge and when I should re-charge and what is re-charged and what isn't.

Just my opinion....4 pigs, welcome and Congrats on your Aeon :D

jeffb