• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Erin-McR38 & Erin-Ti A3 Head Status

erinO919

Enlightened
Please note: These are replications. These reflectors and titanium heads are all based on McGizmo's original McR38 & Aleph 3.

UPDATE Nov. 21st

Heads, crenelated bezel rings, reflectors, orings are all shipped today to the Shoppe.:)

UPDATE Nov. 8th
The bezels are done:) Sample is now on its way to Shoppe:)

UPDATE Nov. 4th
Here are some photos of the titanium A3 head, some combinations, the result of the head assembly. I'll post the pic of crenelated bezel rings once they're done.

Refer to this thread: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/204204
The McR38 has been out of stock for several months. I communicated with shoppe and I tried to do a small batch of McR38. Finally the McR38 reflectors are done, and the overall quality is as good as I thought. And I assembled them into my A3 head, the new made McR38 reflector is working perfectly. I'll send one sample to Wayne this week. If the quality meet the standard, I'll then ship this whole small batch(40 pieces) to Wayne.

You may also interested in this. Shoppe and I planned to make some Ti Aleph 3 heads, and now the good news is that 20 Ti A3 heads have been finished today. I'll post some pics of Ti A3 tomorrow. I'm also working on crenelated bezel rings this week. If everything goes smoothly, I'll ship one sample Ti A3 head/bezel along with the McR38 together to Wayne.

I also bought a few transparent silicon O-rings for the Ti heads. They're looking nice, too.

Pics of the reflectors

Last edited:

easilyled

Flashaholic
Re: McR38 & Ti A3 Head Status

erin0919, thanks so much for this valuable service.

I had posted a thread in the Shoppe about wanting to buy more McR38 reflectors in the form of an interest list.
I wanted to reserve 3, and there were quite a few more who indicated they would take one or more.

Maybe its worth making up a list of those that expressed interest from that thread and transferring it here?
I'd be prepared to do that, if necessary. :)

The Ti A3 head sounds very interesting. :twothumbs

Last edited:

McGizmo

Flashaholic

erin0919,

You have caught me by surprise a number of times with your offerings of Ti components that looked vaguely familiar to me. This offering here also comes as a surprise. No doubt you have been providing a service to the community and filling some voids where interests have thus found solutions. This announcement here sounds promising for you and the shoppe as well as interested members. Good job.

I have had a few inquires about McR38 as well as McR45 reflectors. Hopefully those people will catch this thread.

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow, nice to have the 38s available again. And Ti A3 heads, pretty exciting stuff.

erinO919

Enlightened

erin0919,

You have caught me by surprise a number of times with your offerings of Ti components that looked vaguely familiar to me. This offering here also comes as a surprise. No doubt you have been providing a service to the community and filling some voids where interests have thus found solutions. This announcement here sounds promising for you and the shoppe as well as interested members. Good job.

I have had a few inquires about McR38 as well as McR45 reflectors. Hopefully those people will catch this thread.

Don,

Thank you so much for your great kindness!
I'm a big fan of your creations and the amazing Aleph system. As a flashaholic, I have been always dreaming to own the full line of the aleph system in titanium since the day I bought my first black aleph1. Making those Aleph Ti parts familiar to yours design was also my big concern, and I should have thought about communicate with you before doing the ti works. :whoopin:So hereby, I'm sending my sincerely apology if you were offended by those of my works. Again, Thanks a lot for your magnanimousness!

easilyled,

Thank you for your big help :twothumbs
As a part of this community, I was always recieving other members' help from the very first day I was taught how to post my first photo. These reflectors is just a small return to the nice CPFers. I'm not sure these 40 McR38 can really satisfy the people's need, I'll let the shoppe decide though.:)

Last edited:

easilyled

Flashaholic
Re: McR38 & Ti A3 Head Status (titanium a3 head photos added)

This is the list transferred to this thread from the Interest Thread I initiated before (New requests will be added):-

"Erin-McR38" reflectors on their own:-
easilyled: 3
acourvil: 2
dmdrewitt: 1
DaFABRICATA: 6-10
Greg_G: A few
datiLED: At least 1
1wrx7: 3
roguesw: 1
TexLite: 1-2
high-side: 3
MikeRD03: 3
darkzero: 2
Rommul: 3
iconoclast: 2
jch79: 1 (+ 1 lens)
Nitroz: 1
LED Zeppelin: 1
trivergata: 1-2

"Erin-McR38" reflectors conditional on Aleph3 head availability and price:-
tx101: 1-2
Cowley: 2

"Erin-A3" Ti Heads:-
GlOCK18: 2 heads/reflectors
easilyled: 1 complete head assembly
LED Zeppelin: 1 complete head assembly
griff: 1 complete head assembly
donn_: 1 complete head assembly
acourvil: 1 complete head assembly
dmdrewitt: 1 complete head assembly (possibly another, depending on price)
Dog Chaser: 1 complete head assembly
trivergata: 1 complete head assembly

Last edited:

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yup ... I can confirm I still have an interest for 1 head and 1 reflector (subject to price :D )
Will the lenses and O rings be available as well ?

@easilyled ... sterling job on coordinating the interest list :twothumbs

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,

Please add me to the list of a McR-38. And if you can get the glass, I'd be up for one piece of glass as well. :thumbsup:
john

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Don,

Thank you so much for your great kindness!
I'm a big fan of your creations and the amazing Aleph system. As a flashaholic, I have been always dreaming to own the full line of the aleph system in titanium since the day I bought my first black aleph1. Making those Aleph Ti parts familiar to yours design was also my big concern, and I should have thought about communicate with you before doing the ti works. :whoopin:So hereby, I'm sending my sincerely apology if you were offended by those of my works. Again, Thanks a lot for your magnanimousness!.......

erin0919,

From what I can gather from looking at the pictures of these and previous offerings of yours, you have essentially reverse engineered some of my Aleph designs. As to how effective and how accurately you have dimensionally and functionally replicated these parts, I have no idea. Perhaps you have improved on the originals. :shrug:

When I caught this thread what came as a new surprise was to see that more McR-38 reflectors were being offered as I was under the impression that they were all but gone. In reading your post, I initially assumed that you had been provided the dimensioned drawings for the McR-38 by the shoppe. It seems to me now though that you have likely reverse engineered the reflector as well. You have stated that "if the quality meet the standard", these will ship to Wayne. For all I know, these reflectors of yours might be better than the originals. They may have a more efficient reflective coating with greater transmision of light. The reflective curve may be better suited for the intended LED.

When an item is not an original there are any number of terms which may be applied to it. Some that come immediately to mind for me are clone, dulplicate, replicate, copy, forgery, improvement, 3rd party replacement and on...

I think you have reasonably identified the nature of origin of these parts here in this thread. My only concern is with you using the same name and identification here is that the providence of these components will be lost over time and as some of these items change hand. My concern may have no basis or ever come to issue. It has come to pass that I receive a light or component from an owner for repair or problem identification and it turns out that the light or component is not of my hand or assembly. I don't brand or clearly identify any of my stuff with obvious markings and for the most part, identification is left to the form and style inherent in the viewing of it. If the form or style is duplicated or replicated how is one to identify the origin? :shrug:

I am not suggesting that there is any problem here but I do feel there is a potential for problems down the road if certain trends continue here in our world of flashaholic endeavors and lusting for new stuff. :) :shrug: Although experts may easily identify items, many of us are not expert; myself included.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would like to be on the list for one 38 reflector. Thanks!

GLOCK18

Enlightened

In in for 2 McR38 & 2 Ti A3 Head.

Last edited:

easilyled

Flashaholic

I will commit to an erin0919 replicate Ti A3 head too.

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast

While I do feel this is an interest in Don's product, Don is not involved. I would like to see more communication and cooperation in producing clones as this is a small community and the modders and builders often have more invested than returns seen. I think Don has taken it very well. We all need each other and good communication will avoid future issues.

That being said, there is a demand that is being targeted with this relatively small run, myself included. I would like to be on the list for one head, one reflector, one bezel and a lens.

griff

Flashlight Enthusiast

While I do feel this is an interest in Don's product, Don is not involved. I would like to see more communication and cooperation in producing clones as this is a small community and the modders and builders often have more invested than returns seen. I think Don has taken it very well. We all need each other and good communication will avoid future issues.

That being said, there is a demand that is being targeted with this relatively small run, myself included. I would like to be on the list for one head, one reflector, one bezel and a lens.

I also would like one set!

donn_

Flashaholic

One set for me, as well.

I want to echo LZ's comments about the naming of these parts. There are two really good reasons not to call them A3 (or Aleph 3) and McR38:

1. The names apply only to Don's products. They're his names for his work. Even if they are not protected by trademark, they belong to him in the eyes of this community.

2. I wouldn't want to buy, down the road, something carrying McGizmo's product names and find they were not produced by McGizmo.

erinO919

Enlightened

erin0919,

From what I can gather from looking at the pictures of these and previous offerings of yours, you have essentially reverse engineered some of my Aleph designs. As to how effective and how accurately you have dimensionally and functionally replicated these parts, I have no idea. Perhaps you have improved on the originals. :shrug:

When I caught this thread what came as a new surprise was to see that more McR-38 reflectors were being offered as I was under the impression that they were all but gone. In reading your post, I initially assumed that you had been provided the dimensioned drawings for the McR-38 by the shoppe. It seems to me now though that you have likely reverse engineered the reflector as well. You have stated that "if the quality meet the standard", these will ship to Wayne. For all I know, these reflectors of yours might be better than the originals. They may have a more efficient reflective coating with greater transmision of light. The reflective curve may be better suited for the intended LED.

When an item is not an original there are any number of terms which may be applied to it. Some that come immediately to mind for me are clone, dulplicate, replicate, copy, forgery, improvement, 3rd party replacement and on...

I think you have reasonably identified the nature of origin of these parts here in this thread. My only concern is with you using the same name and identification here is that the providence of these components will be lost over time and as some of these items change hand. My concern may have no basis or ever come to issue. It has come to pass that I receive a light or component from an owner for repair or problem identification and it turns out that the light or component is not of my hand or assembly. I don't brand or clearly identify any of my stuff with obvious markings and for the most part, identification is left to the form and style inherent in the viewing of it. If the form or style is duplicated or replicated how is one to identify the origin? :shrug:

I am not suggesting that there is any problem here but I do feel there is a potential for problems down the road if certain trends continue here in our world of flashaholic endeavors and lusting for new stuff. :) :shrug: Although experts may easily identify items, many of us are not expert; myself included.

Don,

You're right. The name I use should not be the same as yours, these names only belongs to the original designer and producer. Lack of consideration and communication are my biggest problems, I should've noticed this but I didn't, I'm sorry. :eek:
I have changed the title of these new made Mcr38 and titanium a3 head to "Erin-McR38 & Erin-Ti A3 Head ":thinking: I'm bad at naming, perhaps other names will be more suitable for these, I don't know. :shrug:

I didn't change the design of these replicated Mcr38 since people were demanding for the original type, but I raised one shoulder inside of the ti head by approximately 0.9mm in order to better locate the reflector and the LE, others remain unchanged.

From the day I made my first titanium part, I was thinking to provide these to the people at a relatively low price, so everyone can share the joy of owning some titanium Aleph. One critical issue then came out of the water, the design. I'm an enthusiast of the Aleph system, the desire to own some aleph ti parts is deeply planted in my heart. I believe that many members here are having the same feeling. So I started doing my ti works without any communication with you. And now I felt my first step was somewhat inappropriate. If I were you, I would be offended by these familiar aleph works. But you didn't blame me for what I've done. I respect you not only because of your amazing flashlights but also your noble character.

During these months, I had received numerous PMs that asking for some aleph clones in ti. And I tried my best not to duplicate the aleph, but those works are still "aleph" in fact. I was trying to find the balance between desire and ethic, but I feel like that I'm still walking on a piece of ice. :candle:I'm kinda lost, I hope to find out solutions for the current embarrassment. Like LED Zeppelin says "We do need more communication and cooperation in producing clones".

If anyone has suggestions, please feel free to express here.
Thank you very much for the understanding.

Last edited:

easilyled

Flashaholic

Don,

You're right. The name I use should not be the same as yours, these names only belongs to the original designer and producer. Lack of consideration and communication are my biggest problems, I should've noticed this but I didn't, I'm sorry. :eek:
I have changed the title of these new made Mcr38 and titanium a3 head to "Erin-McR38 & Erin-Ti A3 Head ":thinking: I'm bad at naming, perhaps other names will be more suitable for these, I don't know. :shrug:

I didn't change the design of these replicated Mcr38 since people were demanding for the original type, but I raised one shoulder inside of the ti head by approximately 0.9mm in order to better locate the reflector and the LE, others remain unchanged.

From the day I made my first titanium part, I was thinking to provide these to the people at a relatively low price, so everyone can share the joy of owning some titanium Aleph. One critical issue then came out of the water, the design. I'm an enthusiast of the Aleph system, the desire to own some aleph ti parts is deeply planted in my heart. I believe that many members here are having the same feeling. So I started doing my ti works without any communication with you. And now I felt my first step was somewhat inappropriate. If I were you, I would be offended by these familiar aleph works. But you didn't blame me for what I've done. I respect you not only because of your amazing flashlights but also your noble character.

During these months, I had received numerous PMs that asking for some aleph clones in ti. And I tried my best not to duplicate the aleph, but those works are still "aleph" in fact. I was trying to find the balance between desire and ethic, but I feel like that I'm still walking on a piece of ice. :candle:I'm kinda lost, I hope to find out solutions for the current embarrassment. Like LED Zeppelin says "We do need more communication and cooperation in producing clones".

If anyone has suggestions, please feel free to express here.
Thank you very much for the understanding.

erin0919, I think this is very nicely worded....

I know that many people, me amongst them were clamouring for the Aleph system in Ti and this was not a step
that Don was considering going down in full at the time, even though certain components like tailcaps and 1-cell bodies were offered.

You were certainly not the 1st CPFer to try to fill this void, there have been many others before you,
some replicating the existing Aleph heads, and others making them more individual.

I don't think that you've done much different IMO, except perhaps in offering very similar reflectors.
Again I was clamouring for more McR38s. :eek:

I can completely understand what Don was saying, but at the same time I am very grateful for being able to have the benefit
of Don's vision and design of the Aleph System in a timeless material like Ti.

To me this is the ultimate, because of the upgradablility of the lights.
What better material than Ti to preserve them through the years as technology advances?

Perhaps by naming the components differently, this will help to prevent any awkwardness. Maybe another idea is to engrave the components with some unique mark inside, like some intials in future?

dmdrewitt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Erin-McR38 & Erin-Ti A3 Head Status (titanium a3 head photos added)

I would like to commit to one complete assembly, and one additional reflector.

I am also intested in an additonal complete assembly subject to price.

Thank you

David