Fenix T1 - removing the belt clip?

Dazed

Newly Enlightened
I have a fenix T1, and I really have no use for the belt/pocket clip. is there an easy way of removing it without damaging anything. I guess the threads are loctited, but can I put the head in a vice and use elbow grease to unscrew it anyway, expecting it to be just as nice after the operation?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
Use the bag-and-boil method. You put the head into a ziploc bag and boil it. Once the head is uniformly warm, remove it and use leather gloves and/or strap wrenches to unscrew the two halves of the head. You may have to repeat this several times. Once the head is apart, it becomes obvious how to remove the clip.

Dazed

Newly Enlightened
Thanks. Submerging the electronics in water (even in a plastic bag) sounds a bit scary, though. :-/

Marduke

Flashaholic
Thanks. Submerging the electronics in water (even in a plastic bag) sounds a bit scary, though. :-/

Fresh water doesn't have any effect on DC electronics. I have saved many cellphones dropped in oceans, washing machines, and drinks by rinsing and washing them in the sink using filtered tap water.

Dazed

Newly Enlightened
Even so... ;) The idea of putting my brand new light's electronics under water feels a little uncomfortable. We'll see what I do.

If I don't remove it, perhaps I can use some clear shrink tubing on the clip to prevent it from scratching up the body.

You think maybe the heat from a hair dryer would suffice?

Marduke

Flashaholic
Even so... ;) The idea of putting my brand new light's electronics under water feels a little uncomfortable. We'll see what I do.

If I don't remove it, perhaps I can use some clear shrink tubing on the clip to prevent it from scratching up the body.

Hair dryer might work, but it usually isn't quite powerful enough. It's worth a shot however. Happen to have a heatgun? :naughty:

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Fenix T1 is waterproof, unless you're boiling it at 3m deep. :naughty:

streetmaster

Enlightened

If you try the boil-in-a-bag trick, just keep an eye on the bag for leaks. I think I'm gonna try it tomorrow.

Speaking of the shrink tubing, that's what I did until I can manage to get the head open. The only shrink tubing I had was black :shrug:

T1Clip006m.jpg

Last edited:

Dazed

Newly Enlightened
I just did the heatshrink trick, and was about to upload a pic when I saw your photo. Looks identical as I too only had black tubing. :)

If you try the boiling trick, please tell me how it went.

streetmaster

Enlightened
I just wanted to add a thought here.

If the only problem you have with the clip is the fact that it scrapes the body of the light, you can easily bend the clip out away from it. I've got mine so it's about 1mm away from the body, and it's still just as functional.