another 'field' lighting question

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
id like to throw enough light onto a soccer pitch so the light is 'good enough' for 12-20 over 40 guys to show up regularly and have fun.doesnt have to be world class by any means, but it would be great if it was enough light so people return and play insted of staying home because the light is too bad to play

im thinking a couple (or 3) 1000 watt halogen work lights and a portable gas powerd generator

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=36787

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=97079

= $400.00

anyone got any other ideas ?
:popcorn:

GreySave

Enlightened
A couple of thoughts....Watch the math and products carefully. Those lights may draw 1,000 watts per tower when running both lights. At that wattage you could only use one set without overloading the generator you selected.

If you find you need to go to a 3,000 watt continuous duty generator you are going to be talking about a fairly large generator with marginal portability. I have a 2,800 watt quiet build Honda generator and it weighs in at 175 very expensive pounds. Also be sure to consider noise. The inexpensive generators can be very loud.

You may also find those lights will simply blind folks since they will be at eye level most of the time.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might want to check into the Pelican Remote Area Lighting Systems (RALS). While they are probably about twice what you specified, they are truly portable, and SILENT! They look to have decent runtimes, and would be a lot easier to transport and deploy then your solution, as well as a lot safer. I remember the shock I got from an extension cord that had been lying in some dew, even though I only touched the outer shell of the plug!

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
A couple of thoughts....Watch the math and products carefully. Those lights may draw 1,000 watts per tower when running both lights. At that wattage you could only use one set without overloading the generator you selected.

If you find you need to go to a 3,000 watt continuous duty generator you are going to be talking about a fairly large generator with marginal portability. I have a 2,800 watt quiet build Honda generator and it weighs in at 175 very expensive pounds. Also be sure to consider noise. The inexpensive generators can be very loud.

You may also find those lights will simply blind folks since they will be at eye level most of the time.

great answer,
i was hoping someone would be able to do the math :thumbsup:

would be a pity to get all the gear and guys out only to blow fuses every 10 seconds .

You might want to check into the Pelican Remote Area Lighting Systems (RALS). While they are probably about twice what you specified, they are truly portable, and SILENT! They look to have decent runtimes, and would be a lot easier to transport and deploy then your solution, as well as a lot safer. I remember the shock I got from an extension cord that had been lying in some dew, even though I only touched the outer shell of the plug!

ill look for em.

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Halogen is such an inefficient lighting system, any incandescent system is actually. Now 2-3 thousand watts of fluorescent light would definitely light the entire field much better.

GreySave

Enlightened
Timothybill is right......Because my generator is ground fault protected I forgot to mention that aspect as well. You would have to add (if possible) ground fault protection if it is not in place on the generator or move to an upgraded generator that has that capability.

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ground fault interrupt circuits won't protect people from getting light shocks from dew and moisture. Usually getting a tingle from lines is due to bad insulation. I've had extension going through puddles and had no fear of getting shocked. Probably had some torn insulation somewhere, not enough current would flow to trip the GFCI circuit in a protected system.

Burgess

Flashaholic
On top of everything else . . . .

I think you'll find the real key is

positioning the lights as HIGH as possible.

Might be better off supplying everyone

with ZebraLight H50 headlamps.

Their wide, floody beams wouldn't blind other players. :cool:

Hey, and each player could even use their ZebraLight

for other uses, also. Home, garage, camping, etc.

You may think it silly, but that might offer the best results.

Totally quiet. Totally safe.

Please let us know what you decide.

:popcorn:
_