Frosted tip bulbs?

jrogne

Newly Enlightened
What is the performance difference between the frosted tip surefire bulbs and the non-frosted tips?

ginaz

Enlightened
not sure about hard numbers but a frosted bulb will give you a smoother beam at the sacrifice of some throw. might want to try asking in the incan forum

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
No that's it.

Frosted costs you throw but buys you a pretty beam.

Unfrosted cost you a pretty beam but buys you good throw.

Just like regular reflectors VS OP reflectors.

I have never understood the reasoning behind offering lights with both OP reflectors AND frosted bulbs. All it does is limit your range. Maybe the perfect beam profile is important to some people?

Illum

Flashaholic
Frosting lamps should be used in conjunction with SMO reflectors....not sure why one would use it with OP...unless its for photography or simply for the people who prefers engineering overkills:green:

jrogne

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the input. That is very helpful when i see bulbs up for sale. I had been wondering for a while now.:thinking:

rolling

Enlightened
Frosted tip cost you throw? How that? The throw comes from the light that hits the reflector and not the light thats get straight out the lens.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Entirely frosted bulbs would cost throw, but frosted tips just smooths out spill, I think.

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is the lower 2/3 of the bulb that casts shadows from the filament support wires onto the reflector and then out. The upper 1/3 is clear. Using Armour Etch I frost all my incan mods in the lower 2/3 from the filament down. This does not reduce light from the filament up and yet gives a smooth beam. I do not believe frosting the tip which projects straight forward without shadows does anything but reduce lumens. I like to analyze everything I do to build a light.
Here are Phillips 5761 and Welch Allyn 01185 done that way:
pr2bipinhw2.jpg