What If You Could Only Keep ONE Led and ONE Incandescent???

• Thread starter **DONOTDELETE**
  • Start date
D

**DONOTDELETE**

Say like in an emergency, for instance. I would have to say a DirectDrive LS of some sort. Bright enough for most typical emergency uses, yet days and days of gradually decreasing output (if left on that is, because it would last even longer if used intermittently) -- again like in an emergency with no spare batteries...and for the incan I would go with something super bright to "stun" and ward off all the nuclear holocaust mutants...like a Tiger Light?

Also I recall leaving an ElektroLumens Blaster on for like 64 hours and finally just turned it off because its output ultimately outlasted my patience. And the Tiger Light would give me pepper spray...

Saaby

Flashaholic
Originally posted by Bigwuss:
Arc LS.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">But not the upcoming version 3. If I can only have one emergency light (This is extreme emergency folks...may have no storage space for extra batteries) it's gotta be the current LS, Version 2 LS, or the Arc AAA. Not the version 3 LS though with only 1 hour of projected runtime.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

How long does the Arc-LS run? You choose the battery pack (but ya can have only one)...

Saaby

Flashaholic
Like I said...depends on the revision. I believe the LS1 has a fine run time but the LS3 is not good for an emergency light. So if I could only have one it'd be an Arc LS OR Arc AAA.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
In an emergency I think I'd have to vote for my LW 4000! It's big and clunky but puts out a lot of light for days!!

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Originally posted by Roy:
In an emergency I think I'd have to vote for my LW 4000! It's big and clunky but puts out a lot of light for days!!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Goooood choice, actually. Forgot about that one...

Kirk

Enlightened
Hey MRBulk!
I think I would choose a Pal-Light. It's supposed to last 200 hours on low and 100 hours on high. Plus, with its "always-on" mode you'd be able to find it in the dark!
Kirk

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Actually, I think the eternalight series ( I have the Marine) with its ability to dim down from 4 leds to one one led, would be a good choice for a confined space emergency (at home with no electricity). I seem to remember that they are rated in the 100's of hours.

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
For first pick, I'd have to go with my Luxeon modified headlight. Second place would be tough to call between my Brinkmann 3AA LS mod and the Lightwave 3000 - for it's long life.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Hmmmmmm, I would choose the Eternalight Elite XRay. I think this beats the CCrane 3c (or was it d) one led light simply because you can ajust the brightness if you wish.

Having said that I remembered the Freelight. I've never had one but if it's what it claims to be then it is an obvious choice.

Lantern Jack O.

Enlightened
I'd want my Arc LS cyan HD 1st in 2AA lithium mode. This thing is amazing! Just for grins, I run it every night for a couple of hours on a single "dead" alk AA. Been working this same battery like that for about 10 days now, and the thing still provides plenty of light (too bright to look into the beam). When I started, the battery was at ~1.2V, and it still measures 0.93V after resting.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Hey Kirk! (you should start all your posts with "Kirk here" and end'em with "Kirk out"...Haw!

But what if you actually had to see a little bit further away? I've never handled a Pal, do they shine out pretty far on "high" beam?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

NightSun,

Dang, I forgot all my my FreeLight. It would run forever (but only thing is the mutants after a nuclear holocaust would be able to get real close to ya before ya sees'em...).

Obviously I was an ardent sci-fi fan in my younger days...

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Lantern, Jack O.:
I'd want my Arc LS cyan HD 1st in 2AA lithium mode. This thing is amazing! Just for grins, I run it every night for a couple of hours on a single "dead" alk AA. Been working this same battery like that for about 10 days now, and the thing still provides plenty of light (too bright to look into the beam). When I started, the battery was at ~1.2V, and it still measures 0.93V after resting.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Very interesting. I don't have a cyan LS, but from my experience with green and turquoise 5mm LEDs, I would say it's a property of the LED itself. These particular colors will give off a lot of light even at very low current. My 5mm greens are too bright to stare into at 10ma!!!
shocked.gif

d'mo

Enlightened
I'll second the Freelight, if you include Arab's "constant on clip." Not having to worry about batteries, waterproof, long run time and decent brightness make it a winner. - This is assuming an emergency situation.

If I had to choose just one light for general use, I'd have to take the Arc-LS, white.

WaltH

Enlightened
It's a toss up between the ARC-LS, and the Opalec mod. True emergency I guess I'd lean toward the Opalec for the runtime.

ledaholic

Enlightened
No question, my x990 hands down. When the battery goes, everything seems to keep glowing for hours!
grin.gif

Mr. Blue

Enlightened
Darn you Charlie!!
smile.gif

But, where am I? The Canadian wilds and lost my canoe? Trapped in a hi-rise with no power? In the subway between stations? At home? Between two remote towns?

At home? Elektrolumens 3c/2d Blaster...tons of bright light, sturdy body, water resistant, completely reliable...too heavy for me to tote around other than at home or in a car, but this light is tooo nice for a car!

Camping trip gone bad? 14 led CC Crane Expedition...tons of light, diminshing thereafter, portable, sturdy, waterproof.

Underground subway deal/ trapped in a hi-rise? Well, since I would probably have only pocket lights, it would be an E2 or my (soon to be arriving) Arc/finity mod with an LE head and lith AA battery.

In a car, on a hiway? lambda illuminator or soon to arrive Elektrolumens 3AA LS mod'd Brinkmann...both good for lots of light, diminishing thereafter and good for signaling, reliable, switchable.

The Newbeam deserves mention here and might suffice for all situations...

comments/criticisms?