Getting Ready To Get A Surefire E1L.....

McSoappy

Newly Enlightened
So I think I'm going to place my first LED purchase here soon. I think I've decided on the Surefire E1L. I know there's a lot of other discussions on this light, but my conditions may be individual, so what the heck another lovely topic!:D

Looking for something "all around" with pocket-ability, CR123 batteries, can get fairly bright if needed. Something that's rugged and tested.

Do you guys think this will fit my needs?

Sorry for any duplication. Have a great one fellas, and thanks for any and all information.

David

dtsoll

Enlightened
I don't have an E1L but I do have an E1B and I love it. I don't think you can go wrong with the E1L so enjoy your purchase!! Doug:)

isneyk

Newly Enlightened
Please be a bit more specific so others might chime in.
"pocket-ability" is subjective.
What do you intend to use it for?

Here's my thought, have you considered the E2L?
It's just $20 difference, better IMO & is pocket-able for me. :popcorn:

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
There are a lot more lights that will fit what you seem to want, not just from Surefire(and most of them are around half the price). I won't mention names incase that sparks another Surefire vs any-other-company argument.

For what you see to want the E1L should do fine.

McSoappy

Newly Enlightened
Please be a bit more specific so others might chime in.
"pocket-ability" is subjective.
What do you intend to use it for?

Here's my thought, have you considered the E2L?
It's just $20 difference, better IMO & is pocket-able for me. :popcorn:

Kind of an EDC role. Taking the dog for walks around the neighborhood when it's dark, using it to wire up stuff in the entertainment center when I can't see something.

Having it in case a hike takes longer than expected and walking back in low light situations.

bigfoot

Enlightened
+1 on the E1L (dual output version). The light I probably reach for and use the most.

Zenster

Enlightened
You'll love the E1L, but in order to be best informed, at least look at the E1B because for all intents and purposes, it's virtually identical to the E1L with the one exception that the E1B always turns on at "high" while the E1L always turns on first at "low".
Your preference for whether you want your light go first to high or low is what should guide your choice between the two. (The E1B is "rated" higher in lumens, but it's hard to tell the difference unless you have them both on side by side.)

I've got both of them, plus I have the single mode earlier E1L which is a keeper for me because of it's insane runtime.
It's possible that if runtime is really important, you might even want to find one of the pre-dual mode E1L's.

I've regretted buying some of the lights that I did, but I've never regretted buying any Surefire.

Last edited:

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got both the E1L and the E1B too. The main difference is what Zenster says but it is also worth while to note that the surface of E1L is rougher and allows a better grip with dirty or wet hands. E1B on the contrary is easier on the pockets fabric because of its slick surface.

One other thing: E1B is available in a single type, no risk of getting the wrong one. E1L is currently available in three different versions:

- one level, Luxeon LED
- one level, CREE LED
- two levels, CREE LED

be careful to get the one you like better.

McSoappy

Newly Enlightened
How can you tell which is the two level?

I got both the E1L and the E1B too. The main difference is what Zenster says but it is also worth while to note that the surface of E1L is rougher and allows a better grip with dirty or wet hands. E1B on the contrary is easier on the pockets fabric because of its slick surface.

One other thing: E1B is available in a single type, no risk of getting the wrong one. E1L is currently available in three different versions:

- one level, Luxeon LED
- one level, CREE LED
- two levels, CREE LED

be careful to get the one you like better.

Ainsley

Newly Enlightened
Good choice with the E1L. I picked up one of the older lux ones a few years before I got so into lights. When the dual mode Cree one came out I picked it up and then started collecting more lights... Well the E1L is still my favourite camping light, way more than any of the fenixs I had and sold/gave away, more than my NT 120P or SF U2.

One thing you MUST get (not even an option) if working around the home theater system especially is the F04 beamshaper! It gives a perfect flood with just enough throw (more than my zebralight Z30). Also be sure to get the dual mode E1L, much more versatile.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
How can you tell which is the two level?

A picture of the two blisters: left the 'new' 2007 CREE one level E1L, right the 'new' 2008 CREE two level E1L:

e1lvn7.jpg

:wave:

SnWnMe

Enlightened
You'll love the E1L, but in order to be best informed, at least look at the E1B because for all intents and purposes, it's virtually identical to the E1L with the one exception that the E1B always turns on at "high" while the E1L always turns on first at "low".
Your preference for whether you want your light go first to high or low is what should guide your choice between the two. (The E1B is "rated" higher in lumens, but it's hard to tell the difference unless you have them both on side by side.)

Actually, the E1L has better runtime than the E1B. That may be a more important consideration given that hiking is one of the planned uses.

E1B
spacer.gif

spacer.gif

Max Output: 5/80 lumens*
Runtime: 37/1.3 hours*
*low/high settings
spacer.gif

spacer.gif
spacer.gif
http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/prrfnbr/24263/sesent/00
spacer.gif

E1L
spacer.gif

Max Output: 3/45 lumens*
Runtime: 48/8.5 hours*
*low/high settings
spacer.gif

Photon Joe

Newly Enlightened
I have the E1L outdoorsman 2 stage cree and could not be happier with it. 8.5 high, 48 low.
Long runtimes in either mode and with a home made diffuser made from an old mag mini rubber bezel bumper and a spare mini mag lens which I sanded and a rubber washer inside the bumper to hold the thing together, I have a perfect diffuser that cost me nothing since I had the stuff to make it .
It is also a perfect fit on the E1L outdoorsman.
I think you will be very happy.

Last edited:

McSoappy

Newly Enlightened
Whelp guys!

After all the confusion from Bass Pro, plus a few other suggestions for cheaper lights, I've decided to go with the Nitecore EX10.

The SureFire E1L will be next though, so keep that information coming. It'll be nice information to have for "Santa".:D