And The Winner Is . . . . .

Wassernaut

Newly Enlightened
I got into 'serious flashlights' a year ago, and have assembled a small stable of lights. Among others, I've purchased . . . . .

SureFire E1e w/KL1 head
Fenix P3D
(2) UltraFire WF500 Xenon
UltraFire C2 3W
EternaLight Ergo 3 Xray
EternaLight Elite Xray
UltraFire Super Thrower Far Projection 3W Cree
Numerous small Cree pocket lights
Several headlamps
Some other 'oddities'

I wondered which light I would end up using most, which would become shelf queens, and which I would regret wasting my money. After a year I found I haven't regretted buying any of them. Only one has failed me (WF500, which DX immediately replaced at no charge). All of them have shown their unique strengths and uses.

But which one gets the most use, which is my favorite? A favorite just can't be picked. The SureFire E1e is . . . well, a SureFire! It's incredible, it's tiny, and it's totally reliable (well, except for the first tail cap that bombed early, but SureFire instantly replaced it of course). The Fenix P3D is a favorite, I love it for it's reliability, functions and long running. It has incredible power in such a compact package. But I have to say the UltraFires have been bulletproof. The C-2 3W gets tons of use, mostly around the house, looking for a lost something under the couch, bed, etc. It throws a very bright beam. Actually, they all have their good points and get used for different things.

But which one wins for being the most used? I'm afraid the answer isn't sexy, and probably isn't what you'd expect. But the far and away most used, and most versatile is the . . . . . . . . . EternaLight. The ugly duckling of the bunch. I use the Ergo Xray virtually every day, and so much, that I've just ordered an Elite Xray.

I could go on and on, but I won't. The thing isn't pretty, and its throw is pitiful, but for close in work there isn't a task I've found that it doesn't outdo most anything else. And if it isn't the winner of the 'runs forever on one set of batteries', then I haven't found it. I've been using it every day on one set of lithium primary AA's for seven months with no sign of dimming. And the flat shape makes it easy to pocket and to sit still while giving the light you need. One more thing - the 'Dazzle Mode' can't be beat for warning drivers away from your disabled vehicle at the side of the road.

I still love my E1e and my P3D, and won't give up the others, but I keep finding myself reaching for the little ugly blue light.

Larry

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
You make it sound like a good light. :) I even checked the price, it's not cheap!

I think my ARC AAA Snow is a little too blue, but when I turn it on and I'm not looking at a white wall, I never notice it.

Thanks for the story. :D

Wassernaut

Newly Enlightened
One of the most overlooked/underestimated function of the EternaLights is the 'Dazzle Mode'. It's advertised as mainly a 'fun attention getter', but it's very good for important functions:

1. The Dazzle mode is tough to beat to warn oncoming drivers when your vehicle is disabled at the side of a busy highway. I lay it on the roof or trunk deck, aimed slightly off center toward oncoming traffic (so as to get attention but not blind drivers). It can be seen for more than a mile, and the unusual pattern makes people pay attention.

2. The Dazzle mode is also effective to help a tow truck driver find you on a dark night.

3. I use the Dazzle mode when out at night in my power wheelchair. I have two small red flashing LED lights on the rear, and hold the EternaLight in Dazzle mode to warn oncoming drivers - again holding it slightly to the side, not directly in their eyes.

4. It's also great to help friends, service people and delivery drivers find your house at night. I put it in Dazzle mode and lay it on the porch railing. I give them directions and tell 'em to watch for the pulsing light. They love knowing they're at the right house. It's especially helpful in you live in an apartment complex with many identical buildings.

5. It's hard to beat at a stadium/arena when friends are trying to pick you out of a crowd.

6. I've also used the Dazzle mode when we're meeting friends ("We'll meet you in the Wal-mart parking lot and go to dinner."). I put it in Dazzle mode and lay it on the dash and they can find us among hundreds of cars.

And, of course, 'Dazzle' is just one mode of many on this handy light.