Flashlight advice needed

Goblin123

Newly Enlightened
I was redirected here to ask here about my inqury. So i will copy my original question:

Im sure here is some flashlight freak who could help me out.

Currently im living in middle of nowhere, surrounded my meadows and forest. Affcourse i wanted to live here, but sometimes i need to go out in dark. Due to the some problem, due to to check when something strange is happening or due to a electricity black out.

I need a flashlight, and i need real flashlight. I bought a Maglite with 3 W led, but honestly its so weak. Im checking out ebay, but there is many sellers and things there. Im not in regret to spend something on my toy, but not sure what to choose.

I have only 2 criteria

1, It should be rechargeable (well most of them are, but just for note)
2. It should be the brightest :)

What do you think about this for example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/G-P-35W-HID-350...=39:1|66:2|65:3|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/TACTICAL-35W-HI...=39:1|66:2|65:3|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I just need something bright as the holy sun able to light up at great distances. And it should be less than 500 $ because its already pervert, as my wife said :-D

Is the HID way i should go? If yes, do you know of some reputable good quality from 35 W HID-s on ebay?

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go to this link https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/137823 fill in the checklist, cut and paste it here so that there is more information for CPF-ers to understand your needs.

Rechargeable: do you mean using rechargeable cells? or the flashlight recharges in a cradle?

Brightest is also subjective? Do you mean raw output?? Or would be requiring a thrower to light up objects in the distance of more than or up to 200 meters or a flooder which gives better area lighting (spill)?

Is size an issue? etc etc etc.

Any budget?? Cost of lights can range from tens of dollars to literally thousands of dollars.

A bright, inexpensive light that is rechargeable would the Coleman 530 lumen spotlight available at walmart, i am unable to post the link but it's available on their site.

Another question is where are you living? If like me, you stay outside CONUS, then shipping charges may become a consideration.

Goblin123

Newly Enlightened
Short Essay Question: What do you intend to use this light for?

I need a flashlight to have a long beam and be as bright as possible. For purpose as i explained above, i live in middle of nowhere, meadow, forest. From time of my deciding i decided on this:

Any experience ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/TACTICAL-35W-HI...39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14

0) What Region/Country/State will the light be purchased in?

I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

1) Price Range: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

I am willing to spend up to $500

2) Format:

I want a flashlight.

3) Length:

I don't care.

4) Width:

I don't care.

5) What batteries do you want to use?

I want a rechargeable system. (an investment, but best for everyday use) . I do not care if unit has "built-in" rechargeable or uses some other form of more common rechargeable

6) How much light do you want? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

I want to light an entire campground or dazzle an intruder. (100+ lumens)

7) Throw vs Flood: Which do you prefer, lights that flood an area with a wide beam, or lights that "throw" with a tightly focused beam? Place an "X" on the line below.

Throw (distance)

8) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims (like some LED lights). but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries.

20 min. (I want the brightest light for brief periods)

9) Durability: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood.)

8) Switch Type:

I don't care.

9) Switch Location:

I don't care.

10) Operational Modes: Check all that apply.

A simple on-off is fine for me.

11) Is it important whether the body is metal or plastic/composite?

I want a metal-bodied light.

12) Special Needs: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Circle any below or write in your own comment(s).

Waterproof – how deep: splash (for example from rain)

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont know these HID lights, so my advise might be changed, if they fit better.

imho:
for all-around, short to middle distance lighting: actual good led lights like
* Fenix L2D / LD20,
* Jetbeam Jet III (my favorite: Jet III Pro ST) --> the 18650 Li-ion cell is better
* Surefire 9N - if incan is wanted
problem with any of them: when You are in the brush and want to spot at distance, then the broad area illuminating beams are not good.
Here some thrower like a Surefire 9NT would give You the edge.

... primary point for the lights mentionned is small size.
Small size means easy portability.

The HIDs should be much more powerful, but also need quite some time to ramp up. A cool show, but not suited to light bursts.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
First thing, avoid eBay if possible.
Second thing, most HIDs take time to warm up to full output, some don't even produce light for the first few seconds. Also the bulb should be allowed to cool for a few seconds before you turn the light on again.

The MagLED is around 50-60 lumen depending on the one you have. It has decent throw(6000-7000 lux at 1 meter) for the output. The Dereeligth DBS has around 150-200+ lumen depending on setup and has up to 29000 lux at 1 meter. It has a pretty narrow beam.

How would you want the light to light upthings? Would you like a spotlight type light that mostly lights up the target or more of a very powerful flood light that lights up everything?

If you want a HID, check the N30 from Batteryjunction.

:welcome:

Goblin123

Newly Enlightened
I would prefer HID in long flashlight style. I know specialty of starting a HID and its fine with me. Why would i avoid ebay? Did anyone have experience with seller im speaking about ? The feedback says all good

carrot

Flashaholic
I think that you should definitely check to see if 4sevens offers what you are looking for. The products he sells all meet his expectations of quality and I was very impressed with the Microfire line that he carries when I had the opportunity to try them out. He offers great customer service, fast shipping, and excellent prices. Think the code CPF8 gives us an 8% discount on all his products.

I cannot say for the ebay seller as I do not use Ebay for currently produced items, only discontinued.

Goblin123

Newly Enlightened
I would like to inform about one more question:

Which HID to choose 4000, 6000, 8000,10 000 k ? The higher draws to more "blue" color. But for me its important which will be the most visible and lets say "bright"

So if you would point 6 flashlights in upper k at same place, which one would give best visibility and brightest beam ?

t3h

Newly Enlightened
4000 is the best - it produces the most "white" light, and is the most visible. The higher temperatures look cool though...

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
for a durable light, one could try the m@gcharger.
it could meet these expectations for an all round light????????
is that a question? ;)
answer: NO

not as versatile and powerful as a small (1 AA, 18650) multilevel led light,
almost as large and heavy as a portable HID but much less output
higher price than both other options
pro: sturdy

Wattnot

Enlightened

HEY . . . that's pretty offensive!!

Okay, just kidding. We are all flashlight freaks.

I'm sensing a little frustration and you're just trying to buy the most powerful thing out there. Why don't you breath a little, tour this site for a while, and you'll find that there are many much more conventional lights that will do you just fine. Jumping right from your Mag to HID is like trading your Corolla for a Aston Martin because you couldn't pass the hay bailer fast enough to cut in front of the pickup with the load of chickens.

Your Mag is the source of your frustration. We have lights that would fit inside that Mag body and blow it away. Of course you would want to fill in the extra space inside the Mag's battery tube because they'll rattle around too much.

For the cost of that risky Ebay purchase, you can buy the N30 and have a great HID for when you need it, and a nice, compact handheld light like a Deerelight CL1H or JetBeam III or a Fenix, etc. Then there's Wolf Eyes who make all kinds of nice lights. You could have both of those and change left over. You can't really take an HID for a casual walk. It will burn a hole in the dog. The light will be so bright it will reflect off of things light doesn't normally reflect off of (like grass and tree trunks) and blind you.

As for intruders, again, spend more time here because it's been proven a light in the face of an intruder will get you roughly 2 seconds before you're prey again.

Welcome. You are about to become addicted and your friends and family WILL find you stranger for it!!

Goblin123

Newly Enlightened
HEY . . . that's pretty offensive!!

Okay, just kidding. We are all flashlight freaks.

As for intruders, again, spend more time here because it's been proven a light in the face of an intruder will get you roughly 2 seconds before you're prey again.

Welcome. You are about to become addicted and your friends and family WILL find you stranger for it!!

Hey,

that was joke. Im reading everywhere and surely want a hid. When i will go dog walking il take my mag lite surely, im not going to do it with hid. Well and i like powerful things like my custom made 1 W (yep, 1 watt) 532 nm hand held laser, thats very pervert i guess :naughty: .

Generally i don't have intentions to become flashlight collector. I love electronics and work with it, little with lasers and i just want to have simply flashlight as this:

1. Cheap Chinese 24 led flashlight for dog walking
2. Mag lite as for above
3. HID for everything else

I know flashing a light in intruder wont help, im even not counting on that. I just want to light my area and check whats going on, and there is verry little way it would be intruder (mostly cats, deer, dogs...). However you never know intentions of somebody (especially here), and for that matter im sport shooter with a average group of 3 mm (millimeter's) :whistle:

Not to go off topic lets ask one more question. How much is worth to invest in 50 W hid over 35 W one ? Reading the stuff on the internet people say there is no obvious difference (although i think there should be).

Thanks to all for kind advices

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Before long, you will have a(or more) high power LED light for walking the dog(a single high power LED can easily out-lumen and out throw a 24 5mm LED light), a good Maglite drop-in or mod, and a HID.

HIDs get more efficient the higher the power is so there should be a good difference between 35 and 50 watt. Also I've head that 4300 K lamps(or was it 4600 K ones?) more efficient then most.

For most tasks you'll need 40 lumen or less, having a light 100x brighter then you need might be a bit of an overkill.

I think for a first HID, the N30 would be a good choice. At least that's what I hear.

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
is that a question? ;)
answer: NO

not as versatile and powerful as a small (1 AA, 18650) multilevel led light,
almost as large and heavy as a portable HID but much less output
higher price than both other options
pro: sturdy

A Magcharger has over 200 bulbs lumens and outthrows most of the smaller lights.Plus you could drop in a WA1160 and double the lumen output for like 5 to 10 bucks.

okbohn

Newly Enlightened
I was redirected here to ask here about my inqury. So i will copy my original question:

Currently im living in middle of nowhere, surrounded my meadows and forest. Affcourse i wanted to live here, but sometimes i need to go out in dark. Due to the some problem, due to to check when something strange is happening or due to a electricity black out.

I need a flashlight, and i need real flashlight. I bought a Maglite with 3 W led, but honestly its so weak. Im checking out ebay, but there is many sellers and things there. Im not in regret to spend something on my toy, but not sure what to choose.

I have only 2 criteria

1, It should be rechargeable (well most of them are, but just for note)
2. It should be the brightest :)

What do you think about this for example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/G-P-35W-HID-350...=39:1|66:2|65:3|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/TACTICAL-35W-HI...=39:1|66:2|65:3|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I just need something bright as the holy sun able to light up at great distances. And it should be less than 500 $ because its already pervert, as my wife said :-D

Is the HID way i should go? If yes, do you know of some reputable good quality from 35 W HID-s on ebay?

I have an Inova T4 that is rechargable. I got it because I thought I would want rechargable....that was before I got into the CR123 lights.

I like the 123 batteries because they last forever in the package and do a great job in the light. I don't have to worry about charging and diminishing battery life.