Help needed to narrow down some AA flashlights

Flandry

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone,

My father likes to wake up every morning and walk. He's a really early riser, so this means walking around at 3AM. I decided to get him a good flashlight and ended up buying an Inova XO at Target. After I got home I and read up on it online and I've begun to think this may not be the best option.

Following one site to another, I ended up here. I've been lurking the last couple of days trying to learn what I can and see if I could find a flashlight on my own - while avoiding asking annoying first-time-poster questions. But I confess, I'm overwhelmed by the all choices available. So I hope you can help me narrow the field to a few good choices. Using the questionnaire I found, here's what I'm looking for:
0) Purchasing: I'll be buying online.
1) Price Range: up to around $50 or so. It can't be too expensive or he won't use it, instead putting it away so it stays perfect. :shrug:
2) Format: I want a flashlight.
3) Length: 2-4 inches. (Pocket carry)
4) Width: I'd prefer a short wide light. But it's not a major factor as long as it's decently grippable.
5) Batteries: It's really important that it use common AA Alkaline batteries, though an option to use lithium batteries is also okay (I assume the XO doesn't have this versatility). My reading so far leads me to think a 2AA setup would be better, but I'm open to advice. I might get a charger and some Eneloops for it if possible.
6) Amount of light: It's for walking around at night, so 20-40 lumens?
7) Throw vs Flood: I assume something with more flood than throw would be best, but it shouldn't be too short. I'm open to advice here.
8) Runtime: Longer is better. 240+ preferred.
9) Durability: Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box.). It doesn't have to be fancy, but it should be obvious it's well-made.
8) Switch Type: Sliding or Clickie
9) Switch Location: No preference as long as it's easy to access.
10) Operational Modes: Simple is best. An on-off or no more than 2 light levels if the adjustment mechanism is simple/intuitive.
11) Body construction: Metal
12) Special Needs: Belt/Jacket clip or lanyard preferred. Strong preference for flashlight made in USA.
Looking at all these flashlights has also given me the desire to buy a couple of keychain lights for my wife and I. Here's what I'd like to find:
0) Purchasing: I'll be buying online.
1) Price Range: up to around $25.
2) Format: I want a flashlight.
3) Length: 2-3 inches. (Keychain/pocket)
4) Width: Narrow
5) Batteries: Single AA or AAA Alkaline battery. An option to use lithium batteries would be nice, but not necessary. I'd likely power them with Eneloops I have.
6) Amount of light: For casual and emergency use, so 20-40 lumens?
7) Throw vs Flood: primarily for short range use, so more flood than throw.
8) Runtime: Longer is better. 240+ preferred.
9) Durability: Very Important (My wife can tear up anything).
8) Switch Type: Slider or Clickie
9) Switch Location: I don't care.
10) Operational Modes: 2 light levels preferred, but simple on/off also okay.
11) Body construction: Metal
12) Special Needs: Belt/Jacket/Keyring clip or lanyard preferred.​
Thank you for any advice and recommendations!

Gunner12

Flashaholic
IIRC the X0 only uses CR123 batteries. You can buy them for much cheaper online.

Not made in the US(most AA lights aren't) but the Fenix L1T V2.0 might be a good option. Good quality, good output, simple to use, Forward clickie. The Eagletac P10A might work too. More hefty then the L1T, more throw, and has a clip. You can also check Target for the Riverrock 1 AA Luxeon(not that bright compared to the above but decent for a store bought light).

As for the other light, the Fenix E01 might work. Not the output you seem to want but goow for a keychain light and should be pretty tough.

:welcome:

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well this might not be as wow as some of the suggestions.

However this LED light ...Streamlight_ProPolymer_4AA_LUXEON is certainly rugged and waterproof.

This is a polymer resin tough as nails flashlight that runs off of 4 AA cells in a two by two configuration making it shorter and flatter (about 6"-7").

It will slip into a pocket because it's flat body. It's not too small (it won't get lost misplaced) nor is it big...it's handy. Bright yellow in color with rubber around the head.

Rated at about 40 lumens. A FULL power runtime of approx. 4 hours with several hours more of usable light after that.

can be had at about $40

foxtrot29

Enlightened

However this LED light ...Streamlight_ProPolymer_4AA_LUXEON is certainly rugged and waterproof.

This is a polymer resin tough as nails flashlight that runs off of 4 AA cells in a two by two configuration making it shorter and flatter (about 6"-7").

It will slip into a pocket because it's flat body. It's not too small (it won't get lost misplaced) nor is it big...it's handy. Bright yellow in color with rubber around the head.

Rated at about 40 lumens. A FULL power runtime of approx. 4 hours with several hours more of usable light after that.

can be had at about $40

Better recommendation than the others. People recommended the D10, but he said simple, 2 mode max, as long as the modes are simple to access.

The D10 may seem simple to most of us, but many non-flashaholics may be put off by its UI.

slowhand23

Newly Enlightened
I'm in a similar situation looking for a AA and AAA light for myself. I really wanted a pocket clip so I ordered the AA Proton Pro LED & Fenix L1D Q4. I'll need to find a clip for the L1D but for $35 I couldn't pass it up. I ordered the Fenix L0D Q4 for my AAA light. The lights should start arriving tomorrow for testing.
grinser2.gif

May have to ask Santa for the D10.

Flandry

Newly Enlightened
Wow! I thought this post got lost in moderator hold land. But somehow I just completely missed it going up. Thanks for all the replies! I've been checking into them all:

AA - Nitecore D10 ($59)

AAA - Lumapoer Lumacraft F1 ($20) but I highly recommend the Fenix L0D for $44

I watched a video of the Nitecore's UI in action and the UI is amazing! The only thing I'm not keen on is the low-to-high/high-to-low seems too fast. Still, I might just have to get a D10 or D20 for myself. But I think it's too much for my dad, who has the ability for it, but can't stand what he considers to be gimmicky.

As for the AAA, before this week I'd never heard of Fenix (or most of the other flashlight brands). I have to say I'm very impressed by the reputation they've gained here and really like your specific recommendation. Coming across this post in my reading didn't hurt either. I've about decided to get the stainless LD01, which looks really durable and has both a lower low and a higher high than the L0D.
IIRC the X0 only uses CR123 batteries. You can buy them for much cheaper online.

Not made in the US(most AA lights aren't) but the Fenix L1T V2.0 might be a good option. Good quality, good output, simple to use, Forward clickie. The Eagletac P10A might work too. More hefty then the L1T, more throw, and has a clip. You can also check Target for the Riverrock 1 AA Luxeon(not that bright compared to the above but decent for a store bought light).

As for the other light, the Fenix E01 might work. Not the output you seem to want but goow for a keychain light and should be pretty tough.
Yep, the X0 uses CR123s. After finding I could buy them for around $1 each online, I considered just stocking my dad up. But I think he'd be happier with something that uses commonly available batteries, though I see what you mean about US manufacturing. I think it's one of the reasons he keeps using cheap lights even though he does have an X5. I do really like your idea of the L1T and am actually thinking the L2T may be the best choice as I posted in this thread I mistakenly started.
Get one of the Fenix 1AA Cree lights. Check out Fenixstore (remember the 8% discount for CPFers) for sales. Many reviews - do a search or check out Lightreviews. Can't beat the Fenix User Interface for simple and efficient control.
Yeah, the more I read, the more smitten I'm becoming by the Cree lights. Thanks for the discount code!
aa=Olight T-15
aaa=Streamlight Microstream
The Olight looks nice, but I'm afraid it's just got too many modes. As for the Streamlight, it's less than I thought it would be. I'm going to have to go through their whole line (which seems to be on sale right now). But the lumens and runtime both look a bit low in comparison to the Fenix lights others have mentioned.

However this LED light ...Streamlight_ProPolymer_4AA_LUXEON is certainly rugged and waterproof....
Very interesting light! I think, however, that I'll stay with a metal body as my dad equates metal to quality even if the "plastic" might be more durable.

Better recommendation than the others. People recommended the D10, but he said simple, 2 mode max, as long as the modes are simple to access.

The D10 may seem simple to most of us, but many non-flashaholics may be put off by its UI.
Yes, you're absolutely right. While I like the D10, I think my dad would be put off by it.

Flandry

Newly Enlightened
Just wanted to say :welcome: Flandry!! Looks like you've hit the ground running. Hang on to your wallet! And the CPF mantra: When in doubt, buy both!

edit: Just wanted to add a link to the discount thread over on CPFMP.
Thanks for the welcome and the awesome discount page link! I'm reading all this stuff and it's like I'm discovering a new world. Now I'm thinking flashlights would be the perfect X-Mas gift for everyone! I'm soooooo screwed...:broke::rolleyes:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
SS LD01 is on my list as well!

Your wallet will hate you forever now that you have found CPF! RUN RUN AWAY NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laughing:

For your dad, my vote is for the LM31. Simple glass and aluminum 2 stage clicky runs on 1 AA and will not break any bank. Only trouble is that it's sold out at the moment. :(

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
While not the most popular light around, the LED Mini-Mag would probably fit for your dad.
Doesn't get much more simple than a twisty :D
They're pretty tough too, if the standard mini-mag is any idication. My grandpa was given one sometime in the '80's, and it still works like the day he got it, even if it does look like it lost a fight with a lawnmower :D

Edit: Oh, and the D10 is a very nice light for the money. I'm certainly enjoying beating it up. :thumbsup:

Flandry

Newly Enlightened
SS LD01 is on my list as well!

Your wallet will hate you forever now that you have found CPF! RUN RUN AWAY NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laughing:

For your dad, my vote is for the LM31. Simple glass and aluminum 2 stage clicky runs on 1 AA and will not break any bank. Only trouble is that it's sold out at the moment. :(

Too late! I've been on here every day for a week now. I think the corruption has spread too far through my system...:faint:

Any idea what the output is on the LM31?

While not the most popular light around, the LED Mini-Mag would probably fit for your dad.
Doesn't get much more simple than a twisty :D
They're pretty tough too, if the standard mini-mag is any idication. My grandpa was given one sometime in the '80's, and it still works like the day he got it, even if it does look like it lost a fight with a lawnmower :D

Edit: Oh, and the D10 is a very nice light for the money. I'm certainly enjoying beating it up. :thumbsup:

My dad has a number of Mags already. Like many folks here, he hasn't really used them since he discovered that even cheap LED lights will often outperform them (with the exception of his 6D). Last Christmas I got him a Nitize 3-LED drop-in for his Mini-mag. But he still prefers a cheap light he got at Walmart. The fact is, he already has so many flashlights, I haven't ever given any thought to the idea of buying him another one until I discovered there was a whole field of better lights out there.

As for the D10, it's got too many modes I think. But I'm considering it or the D20 for me.

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I say buy him an EagleTac P10A2.
0) Purchasing: I'll be buying online. www.EagleTac-store.com
1) Price Range: up to around $50 or so. It can't be too expensive or he won't use it, instead putting it away so it stays perfect. $61 and NO shipping charge.
2) Format: I want a flashlight. As opposed to??:grin2:
3) Length: 2-4 inches. (Pocket carry) 6.2" (Length) x 1" (Diameter). Good pocket carry, especially the back pocket.
4) Width: I'd prefer a short wide light. But it's not a major factor as long as it's decently grippable. See above
5) Batteries: It's really important that it use common AA Alkaline batteries, though an option to use lithium batteries is also okay...My reading so far leads me to think a 2AA setup would be better, but I'm open to advice. I might get a charger and some Eneloops for it if possible. This works on both regular AA's and Eneloops.
6) Amount of light: It's for walking around at night, so 20-40 lumens? 182 OTF on high and 58 on low - both perfect for the night.
7) Throw vs Flood: I assume something with more flood than throw would be best, but it shouldn't be too short. I'm open to advice here. The P10A2 is a great combo of both.
8) Runtime: Longer is better. 240+ preferred. P10A2 is ~90 min on high, ~480 on low - both to 50% regulated.
9) Durability: Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box.). It doesn't have to be fancy, but it should be obvious it's well-made. Various reviews here speak of the light being well made.
8) Switch Type: Sliding or Clickie P10A2 is a forward clicky.
9) Switch Location: No preference as long as it's easy to access. Located at the rear of the light for easy switching.
10) Operational Modes: Simple is best. An on-off or no more than 2 light levels if the adjustment mechanism is simple/intuitive. Easy. P10A2 is click on/click off. Switch from high to low with a slight twist of the bezel.
11) Body construction: Metal Check.
12) Special Needs: Belt/Jacket clip or lanyard preferred. Strong preference for flashlight made in USA. All EagleTac lights are designed in Arizona but made in China. It is what it is.

I am quite sure that your father would be more than happy with the EagleTac P10A2. :twothumbs

1996alnl

Enlightened
I never thought i'd buy a AA light but i have 48 new AA batteries so i figured what the heck.
Just picked up a Fenix LD10 today,very impressed with the output of this light.

Take care

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got my P10A2. What a great light! Uses 2 AA batteries. Has high/low levels. Very easy to switch between them. High is real strong...and low would be great for a walk. Excellent quality. The beam is the smoothest of any light I have. Light weight and very easy to carry. Highly recommended

UpChUcK

Enlightened
I watched a video of the Nitecore's UI in action and the UI is amazing! The only thing I'm not keen on is the low-to-high/high-to-low seems too fast. Still, I might just have to get a D10 or D20 for myself. But I think it's too much for my dad, who has the ability for it, but can't stand what he considers to be gimmicky.

As for the AAA, before this week I'd never heard of Fenix (or most of the other flashlight brands). I have to say I'm very impressed by the reputation they've gained here and really like your specific recommendation. Coming across this post in my reading didn't hurt either. I've about decided to get the stainless LD01, which looks really durable and has both a lower low and a higher high than the L0D.

I have the L0D which currently reside in my pocket all the time ('cept when I sleep :p). I can't tell you enough how much I love this little light. It is the perfect EDC for me. It's bright, small, a nice low low and it is reliable (so far). I can do without the flash/sos modes but it doesn't bother me like it does others here.

The Nitecore D10, EX10 and D20 are my next purchases in that order. I have use my buddy's D10 and was so impressed that I had to get them all :shrug:. I currently have the JetBeam CLE v2 which is a good light also. I just wanted a 1xAA that was brighter and with twisty AND clicky, that sealed the deal. The JetBeam will go to my wife to relpace the Inova X1 she has now.

Well, good luck, enjoy and :welcome: .