Princeton Tec Apex 130 Lumen Model other options

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been looking around for a new Headlamp for a while now at a affordable price.
Needs to be lightweight and use readily available batteries for emergencies.

I do not like AAA versions as they do not provide enough runtime and brightness.

I have had a PT Apex 60 Lumen version (4AA type) which i upgraded with a Seoul emitter.
But it has seen some abuse and has cracked several places especially around screws..probably due to overtorquing of scews and bumping against stuff.Not many options in the Headlamp department in this category imho.
Ive read most of the threads and looked at most of what is available..

Which brought me back to the PT Apex newer versions.Ive been eyballing the 80 Lumen version for a while now and thought that it might cut it without modding,but today i notcied upgraded specs from Princeton Tec.
The PT Apex now features 130 Lumens.

Im not sure if it has come out yet and what emitter it uses.
Seems if i wait a little while i dont need to upgrade the emitter myself.

• Thoughts?
  • Experiences?
  • Inside info?
  • Other lights comming out in the near future that takes AA batteries and can take a beatig with lots of Power when i need it?

Beeing a Nut about the best lights is not always fun...the quest never ends.

I guess i just should buy a couple of the Lupine Headlamps and be done with it..
Tesla X and Wilma X.is mighty tempting and rechargeable

.:candle: Nope...do not have the cash.

We need someone of the skilled people here at CPF to make the perfect headlamp,because for me it does not exist yet..
Yep im on the preorder for the Saint...but im not holding my breath for it yet..

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was looking at that page either yesterday or the day before yesterday, and it still said 80 lumen! Funny thou, the runtime remains same as 80 lumen at 2.5 hours regulated.

Now if only they put the damn low mode first before hi...

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice find:D And from a Noggin:poke:;)

I have 2 Apex lights running warm binned Seouls, but might get one of these to check out or give the wife:grin2:

I think the Seoul modded lights are at least 130 lumens so the brightness increase will be marginal.

Looking forward to impressions from the first people who get them.

Sverre

mba1964

Newly Enlightened
I JUST CALLED PT AND THE SALES REP TOLD ME THEY ARE ACTUALLY IN PRODUCTION AND STARTED SHIPPING THE 130 LUMEN MODELS OUT ABOUT 2 WEEKS AGO TO THE BIGGER RETAILERS. HE ALSO MENTIONED THAT IF YOU WANT TO BE SURE YOU ARE GETTING THE 130 LUMEN VERSION IT WOULD BE ADVISIBLE TO DO AN "IN STORE" PURCHASE SO THAT YOU CAN VISUALLY INSPECT THE PACKAGED LIGHT TO VERIFY THAT IT IS INDEED THE 130 LUMEN AND NOT AN OLDER MODEL 60 LUMEN OR 80 LUMEN. I ASKED HIM IF THE NEW MODEL WAS USING THE REBEL AND HE HESITATED AND THEN SAID "NO, IT IS THE MAXBRIGHT AND THAT THEY FELT IT WAS THE BRIGHTEST AND BEST CHOICE AT THIS TIME"??? I AM NEW TO ALL THIS, SO I WASN'T SURE WHAT ELSE TO ASK HIM. :thinking: HOPE THIS INFO HELPS!

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hei Sverre :D

Thanks for the info :D
Maxbright led.. :crackup:

Nice way to get away with using whatever led they choose without having to notify the users/buyers.

Either way i will try my best to get some of those.Seems like a good choice without having to open the lamp for modding.

Eventually i will mod it but it is nice to get one and keep the Warranty intact for once.
Those plastic molds a to brittle to mess around with unless neceasserary.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
They should be great for gifts since they will be very bright and still under warranty:eek:

Can't see it replacing my old Seouled Apex pro running 2 18650s though.

If they use K2 or Rebels the tint might be great and force me to get one for myself as well:D

Sverre

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
My thoughts exactly,

Have you made a separate battery pack for yours?

Pictures/details Please:D

Benny

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
My thoughts exactly,

Have you made a separate battery pack for yours?

Pictures/details Please:D

Benny

2 18650s in a cut up 2 C-cell holder together with 2 spare cells and the normal 2 cr123 holder for the pro stuffed in a small Maxpedition pouch.

IMG_5644.jpg

I do have a smaller holder from an older Petzl headlamp, but the Maxped pouch gets used the most.

I was thinking of modding one of the Go tubes from 4sevens, but haven't gotten around to it yet. That will be small and waterproof :)

mba1964

Newly Enlightened
FYI if anyone may be interested....I emailed brightguy.com and got a reply that he should have a shipment of the new 130 lumen Apex in about 10 days...anyone have any info for any other dealer that has them yet? Don't really want to wait that long to place an order...need this baby for deer hunting :D (no, I'm not gonna go poaching!!! :crackup:)

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
2 18650s in a cut up 2 C-cell holder together with 2 spare cells and the normal 2 cr123 holder for the pro stuffed in a small Maxpedition pouch.

I do have a smaller holder from an older Petzl headlamp, but the Maxped pouch gets used the most.

I was thinking of modding one of the Go tubes from 4sevens, but haven't gotten around to it yet. That will be small and waterproof :)

Nice setup,
Ive been thinking about doing something like that.
Maybe in a Small Watertight case with Litemanias wires/Battery packs.

I have emailed Lighthound about the 130 Lumen version.
He said he would check.
How is Brightguy with international orders?
Benny

stepRideR_Ant

Newly Enlightened
it looks like Apex is the best headlamp for that price
but i can't find 130 lumen version anywhere...
would appreaciate any info on the sellers in US
thanx!

mba1964

Newly Enlightened
Nice setup,
Ive been thinking about doing something like that.
Maybe in a Small Watertight case with Litemanias wires/Battery packs.

I have emailed Lighthound about the 130 Lumen version.
He said he would check.
Benny

The following from Brightguy.com website:

International Orders:
Orders shipping outside the US are shipped via UPS (United Parcel Service). For online international orders, the BrightGuy website calculates an estimated shipping charge. BrightGuy will send email notification of the actual shipping charge for customer approval before shipping and billing. Note - BrightGuy does not ship international orders via the postal service.

Hope this helps!:twothumbs

major

Newly Enlightened
im very new to all this and mainly want a light for fishing so how can i tell how many lumens the Princeton Tec Apex is if i get one,is there a way to tell???

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Benny

Checked with them before, they refuse to do USPS so you are looking at extra $50 to $100 in fees and 100% chance of dinged by customs from UPS.

Now I get stuff from Marc at edcdepot.com, very good USPS shipping rate, and he can order pretty much any stuff if you email and ask.

Last edited:

mba1964

Newly Enlightened
im very new to all this and mainly want a light for fishing so how can i tell how many lumens the Princeton Tec Apex is if i get one,is there a way to tell???

major,
I think the only way to be 100% certain is by physically looking at the specs on the factory packaging that the light is in. If you call or email a trusted reputable dealer, such as the many discussed in these forums, perhaps you could "personally" get them to hand pick one that has either the 80 lumen or 130 lumen (if available;)) model you desire for you. I am also very new to this, so if any veterans could help, we are all ears! :D

nemulhuman

Newly Enlightened
Yea, seems like no-one and no-ones brother wants to cop to having the elusive 'APEXR' as it was differentiated to me by a PT sales rep. My guess is they don't want to be caught holding on to the 60/80s and whatever.. pfffft!
I contacted @ 8 or so of the 'big' sellers, none said they had it in stock. I gave up. Noticed the 'buy it now' shopatron option on PT's updated new and improved 130 lumen Tec APEX product page. Took me straight to my cart, thought the 84.00 price tag a tad much but thought :thumbsup:! and bought 3, then went to check out and saw that I was about to buy 3- 80 lumen models... :toilet: . apparently not even PT wants to come off the mountain of free-range headlamps they've stockpiled.? I gotta be missing something.

stepRideR_Ant

Newly Enlightened
The 130 Lumen version is available through Brightguy now.

thx!
actually black apex is "available after 11/18/08"
but i bought it anyway, i hope i'll get it in a week or so

$68.95 (without shipping) for 130 lumen
and $50 for 80 lumen version
pretty reasonable