My first Surefire...What to get????

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Currently, my flashlight collection consists of several mags & mini mags, a few princeton tecs, and a few LEDs, but no "high end" lights. After reading this forum for a few weeks, it sounds like I need a Surefire, but the question is...Which one? I think I have in narrowed down to the E1 or the new E2. Let me know what you guys think. A side by side comparison would be great. If there are other lights in the Surefire line that would be better for me, Im open to suggestions. I would basically use this as a personal light to carry on my person, so it can't be Huge. Thanks for your input!!

axolotls

Enlightened
I researched what I could on getting a good personal light and came up with the Surefire E2.

I am still waiting for mine to ship, so I'll post my feelings about it when I get it early next week.

ToddM

Enlightened
I would certainly suggest the e2 over the e1 unless space is at a absolute premium and you don't think you would carry the E2 being it's about 1" longer.

The E2 (60 lumens) is 4X as bright as the E1 (15 lumens) and after owning a few surefires the only reason I can think of owning a 3P/E1 is if you knew the only reason you'd use it is it's very small and a slightly larger light just will not work. I still get depressed every time I use my 3P, it's just so Dim compared to my other surefires. I know a lot of guys like the E1 but just understand that you are giving up a TON of light for the smaller package. Rumor has it they are looking into a 30 lumen bulb for the E1/3P but I'm not sure how that would effect runtimes, and still.....maybe I just have really big pockets but I'll take 4X the light for a extra 1" of flashlight anyday. The E1 does have a slightly longer runtime at 90 minutes so that is a concideration. I hope someone can post a comparison from the e1 to the e2 because after seeing that I think it will easily make your mind up for you.

The E2 looks very promising, 60 lumens of light is super bright and 75 minutes of runtime in that small of a package is quite a deal. It's definatly the one that has caught my eye of the new lights.

If price is a big issue the G2 runs about $45 shipped and runs 65 lumens for a hour, there are a lot of reports I've read hinting these new polymer lights may be the most durable surefire has produced yet. The G2 is even a little larger yet than the E2.

Another light that maybe the best bang for the $ is the 8NX commander, polymer rechargeable lights. 110 lumens, 50 minute runtimes, 2 batteries, ac/dc charger, light for around $90 shipped. It might be larger than what you'd want to carry everyday but I'd say that's certainly the most bang for the $ in their lineup with the G2. It's a good sized light, but if you use your light a LOT those little $4/cell lithium batteries can add up quickly.

If I was knew into surefires and didn't already have a 6p,9p,9N, 3p The two I'd be looking at would be a E2 with a 8XN for that would be a hard combo to beat for light output and cost.

Todd

Size15's

Flashaholic
I would suggest the G2 or the E2 rather than any other flashlights unless you required them for a specific task (such as use with a firearm etc)

Whilst I've not [yet] got an E2, I give the G2 my whole-hearted praise.

As for the 8NX, I don't have any rechargeable flashlights so I can't comment other than to say I've read great things about it. Although I know that the Nitrolon Polymer is incredibly tough.

I'm gonna be getting a 10X as soon as they're released. I do believe that a Lithium / rechargeable combo is a great
grin.gif

For now, I carry atleast two Lithiums (one is always the E1)

It'd be good to get some more reviews of the E2 before making your choice.

Good Luck!

Al

Bucky

Enlightened
E2
smile.gif

For now there is no better personal light. It is just right in terms of size, runtime and output.

Plus the E2 (and E1) offers a beamshaper, filters, and a lanyard for a full assortment of uses.

If you do not have any high-end lights right now, start off with an E2 and you will not be disappointed
smile.gif

Bucky

Size15's

Flashaholic
The Lamp Module options for the E2 / G2 are worth considering:

G2 has the optional High Output Lamp, P61.
E2 will soon have the long runtime lamp, MN02

[Please note I'm a little confused as to which is the E2's standard Lamp (MN02 or MN03) I always thought it was the MN03.

'Coherence' writes that the E2 manual has them the other way around, but maybe this is an error in the manual...
You may like to follow this link

As far as I know, there are no long runtime G2 Lamps or High output E2 Lamps going to be produced soon [if at all]
frown.gif
. Although I'd love to see them both. I'm not holding my breath. I'm checking out Tim's claim that both E Series Flashlights will have High Output Lamps.
I hope he's right and I'm wrong about this!

It's a difficult choice!
(Thats why I'm gonna have both the E2 and G2!
grin.gif
)

Al

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I just got my E2 today. It is a high quality light. Super bright nice round light output. I highly reccommend it. Well worth the money. This is easily the best flashlight I have ever owned.