Encore light review?

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
Am I missing something or has no one done a Lumapower Encore review? I know they have been available for a little while already. Ive done searches and havent found anything.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Am I missing something or has no one done a Lumapower Encore review? I know they have been available for a little while already. Ive done searches and havent found anything.

They haven't been around for more than a week or two. I ordered one last week and it arrived Monday. Mine arrived nonfunctional and I don't know what was wrong with it. I called up Batteryjunction.com to inform them that I needed to return it. As soon as I got off the phone, I checked my email to discover that they had already sent me an email with an RMA number to return it. They said they'd test the next one first before sending it to me. Good thing I bought it from a company with good customer service. Hopefully I'll have a functional one to tell about in a week or two. One thing I was disappointed about was the build quality of the contacts between the inside of the body tube and the switch. (This was my first Lumapower light.) I think these contacts were made from rebent staples. They seemed a little flimsy to me. After seeing pictures of other Lumapower switches, I think the ones for some of their other lights are made the same way.

JackJ

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking forward to your review, HoF! It looks like a great form factor. Can you point me to any pictures/discussion of the Lumapower switches? That sounds like a significant concern, particularly given your doa sample.

Jack

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
:naughty:

I think you have to use button-top batteries in the Encore.

due to the reverse polarity protection.

Were you using a flat-top 18650 ?

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Received my Encore today. I have to say I like it a lot, and, I think they acheived there goal of small size, simple operation and nice EDC beam profile.
It is as small as you can get for a 2X123 battery light with a clicky. I tried it on 2X123, 18650 and 2X RCR123. Worked on all.
Beam profile is great. Nice hotspot,but a great spillbeam! Good quality beam also, no rings at all on mine.
I love how the front of the light is tapered. Slips into the pocket with no resistance. Clip is just right, not to much tension, just enough.
The clicky is a little tough to operate, however it DOES tailstand which makes for a more useful light!
Last mode memory is a great feature, however, you have to turn the light off to go through the levels.:(
All in all it is a great EDC and I think they hit their mark! Battery Junction has them in stock and their customer service is fantastic!
My 18650 was a button top AW by the way.

Last edited:

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received a response from Battery Junction about my light today. It said they received my light, but they are out of stock and I'll have to wait 7-10 days for a new one (that may not even include the time to ship it back to me). As soon as I originally got the light, I tested it with a button top AW 18650 cell. Then I tried 2 123A Duracells. It didn't work with either. I wouldn't waste my time and money shipping back a nearly $60 light if there was a chance that it worked. This light was totally dead on arrival. None of the batteries were put in backwards either. I don't blame Battery Junction for this problem light. Their responses couldn't be faster and their customer service seems very good. This is my first Internet flashlight purchase that arrived dead. I'm sure it was bound to happen sometime. As for the cheap looking switch contact, I ruled that out as the reason the light didn't work. The switch made contact.
For those of you worried about the switch contacts failing, just think of it this way. If they do break, you can fix the switch with a staple, pliers, solder, and a soldering iron. This light is totally modular and I wouldn't be surprised if replacement parts are available for sale in the near future as well as upgrades to the l.e.d. and circuit section.

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
I love how the front of the light is tapered. Slips into the pocket with no resistance.

I noticed that too. My suspicion is that this is the same head as the incendio light to save money on manufacturing...
Do you have an incendio to compare it too? Im wondering the the reflector size is the same too. Maybe if they are changable you can put the encore head on the incendio and get a 180 lumen little light or put the incendio head on the encore and get better runtime?

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
I noticed that too. My suspicion is that this is the same head as the incendio light to save money on manufacturing...
Do you have an incendio to compare it too? Im wondering the the reflector size is the same too. Maybe if they are changable you can put the encore head on the incendio and get a 180 lumen little light or put the incendio head on the encore and get better runtime?

Any thoughts?

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
eyeeatingfish: Sorry for the delay, did not see the post. I do not have a incendio to compare it to. However, your theory sounds interesting. After reviewing the incendio thread I think you hit the nail on the head. I'll be sure to compare if I get the chance. To be honest, now that I,m up on the incendio thread I think I need one.!
Been using this light everyday and liking it more and more. Tailstanding makes it so much more useful.

Last edited: