KD 18650 rechargeable headlamp

tzahoy

Newly Enlightened
Well, I saw this and thought it would be mighty cool to have a rechargeable 18650 headlamp.
http://www.kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=4878

After the typical delay it's finally here. It's a Q5 and has low, high, slow strobe modes but the description says it's single mode. The beam is bright with a tight spot and little spill, construction is decent, and for less than $30 shipped with a battery and charger it's a good deal. The downsides after using it a little are the tight beam is not really good for hiking or outdoor activities, the assembly is front heavy, which makes it a little uncomfortable, and it doesn't use a normal 18650 battery. The battery has both + and - on one side, using a concentric ring. I'll post a pic soon. Has anyone ever seen this? I'm wondering where to get another.

I'll keep it for working on the car where the front heaviness won't be a problem on my back. I'm sure I'll use it around the house as well, but my old Streamlight Argo HP is still going to be my outdoors/hiking/hunting headlamp.

Last edited:

tzahoy

Newly Enlightened
Here's the battery, the other end is standard buttonless 18650.
IMG_2275.jpg

dom

Enlightened
Hi Tzahoy :welcome:
WOW -dangerous looking battery -have to really watch how you store that!
Don't know where you'd get another.

Cheers
Dom

tzahoy

Newly Enlightened
Yes, I think it's a PCB as well. The battery is exactly the same length as a protected 18650. It actually looks like it could be a handy configuration for some custom builds, especially using plastic bodies.