Any brightness difference between a 3c vs 3d maglite led

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there any brightness or throw differences between the two lights or is it just a difference in runtime?

mdocod

Flashaholic
I'd suggest buying the 3C mag krypton, and installing an after-market LED upgrade. The Terralux 2-3 cell module combined with the cost of a 3C mag won't set you back too much further in price, but you'll get a more efficient emitter. It's not a massive difference in the grand scheme of things, but this is the way I would "optimize" such a purchasing decision.

Eric

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd suggest buying the 3C mag krypton, and installing an after-market LED upgrade. The Terralux 2-3 cell module combined with the cost of a 3C mag won't set you back too much further in price, but you'll get a more efficient emitter. It's not a massive difference in the grand scheme of things, but this is the way I would "optimize" such a purchasing decision.

Eric

I thought about it, but I like the long runtime the Maglite led offers

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought about it, but I like the long runtime the Maglite led offers
The long runtime cited for that is somewhat deceptive.

As the maglite heats up, it uses temperature feeback to dim itself (because of a lack of heatsinking path). IF You leave it on continuously for long stretches of time (where it well be running at considerably less than half its original output), then it will have a long runtime. If however you tend to run your light mostly in bursts of ~5 minutes at a time, cumulative runtime won't be nearly as long as the reviews suggest.

toadman

Newly Enlightened
How about a 3 D Mag & then put 4 C cells in it with a spacer. Then it's brighter.

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
The long runtime cited for that is somewhat deceptive.

As the maglite heats up, it uses temperature feeback to dim itself (because of a lack of heatsinking path). IF You leave it on continuously for long stretches of time (where it well be running at considerably less than half its original output), then it will have a long runtime. If however you tend to run your light mostly in bursts of ~5 minutes at a time, cumulative runtime won't be nearly as long as the reviews suggest.
Here are runtime graphs for the magled and terralux,The mag does indeed have much better runtime.
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/maglite_mag-led.htm

http://www.batteryjunction.com/tle-6k2.html
While the magled does reduce the current as it heats up the reduction in light is not as much as you would think. If all you are looking for is a bright light I would get the terralux. If your looking for long runtime for emergency purposes I would get the maglite.

cslinger

Enlightened
While the Mag does drop off in intensity as it heats up it is still brighter then a stock Mag the whole run time. I have run one of my 2Ds for 32+ hours and it was plenty bright that whole run time and provided plenty of moon mode after that.

The MAG Led may not be the best designed, the brightest etc. but it is damn good everyday utility light IMO.