Moby **** Shootout

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I finally finished some lights and had a nearly complete stable of Moby ****s, so I took the opportunity to take some beamshots. The only configuration missing from the herd is the tri-Ostar for which I have a sink but have yet to build one.

I spare the details of the hosts and concentrate on the running gear. All the Shark/pot lights are driven at 900-960 mA on hi, and the Quad-P7 at 2.8A.

dsc1626uh9.jpg

dsc1632rg8.jpg

From left to right, in order of appearance and number of LED dies:
1: Quad-R2 WG, (4) McR27XR, Shark/pot, (3) 17670, 11.1V
2: (9) R2 WG, (1) McR27XR, (6) McR19XR, (2) aspherics in McR19XR-interchangeable housings, tri-Shark, pot, (6) 17670, 7.4V
3: Quad-P7 DSWOJ, D2flex, (4) 18650, 14.8V
4: Tri-Ostar (6-die)+ tri-R2 WG ("Trinity"), (3) Fraen Ostar narrow beam, (3) McR17XR, tri-Shark, pot, (4) 26700 Emoli, 14.8V

Beamshots:
Camera settings constant @ ISO200, F3.5, 3 sec, white balance to sunshine, lights on hi. Lights aimed at the grove of trees in the distance @ 450'.

Quad R2:

dsc1628lq1.jpg

9 X R2:

dsc1629eu2.jpg

Quad P7:

dsc1630tk8.jpg

Tri-Ostar/tri-R2:

dsc1631os5.jpg

In the foreground the small tree at center is at 35'. To the downhill left bend of the drive it's 200', the end of the split-rail fence is about 300', and beyond the fence across the street is a grove of trees at 450'.

It's easy to become jaded with the output of these. But even the quad-R2 funnelled through (4) McR27XR is objectively impressive with great throw and runtime. The 9 X R2 takes top throw honors. The quad-P7 and Trinity lights have comparable output, with the edge in lumens and spill going to the Trinity. They both throw comparably but the quad-P7 focuses its output into a brighter, smaller area. I'll have to concurr with Starfiretoo in that the quad-P7 represents the most "bang for the LED buck".

Edit: adding single LED lights for comparison, same camera settings

Mr X: X bin Lux V

mrxbeamrr2.jpg

Lambda P7 2D Mag mod, 3 X NiMH cells:

prop4beamdk0.jpg

Last edited:

choppers

Flashlight Enthusiast
Having trouble viewing photos...hmmm:thinking:

EDIT - I see them now...awesome!!!

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice work. What are the aspherics you used and where did you get them?

Packhorse, I got the aspherics from the Surplus Shed, unfortunately they only had a few. I haven't seen them come up again. They are AR coated and 17mm dia X 12mm focal length. I had some housings made that are dimensionally identical to a McR19XR. The lens sits on a shoulder in the bore of the housing and the bottom of the housing centers on the Cree metal ring.

wquiles

Flashaholic
Freaking awesome lights - great job on the beamshots ;)

How quickly does the quad-P7 and Tri-Ostar get hot enough to be uncomfortable?

Will

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast
How quickly does the quad-P7 and Tri-Ostar get hot enough to be uncomfortable?
I don't own a Moby **** so can't attest to that one, but my Quad P7 doesn't really get hot at all. I don't keep in on for prolonged periods of time though, and mostly use it to amaze company. The longest I've ever had it on 'high' was when performing a ceiling bounce test and taking a pic for comparions. After tailstanding on 'high' for approximately 4 minutes, it was only relatively warm to the touch, mostly toward the head area. This post may provide more info

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will, 10 minutes continuous running the Trinity is about as far as I'd go. At that point you can still hold the head but it's pretty hot, maybe 130-140 degrees F.

Mac tested his quad-P7 and posted this in the heatsink sales thread:
(brighterisbetter just linked it)
Tested at 2.8amps via Bench Supply

1 Minutes 84F
2 Minutes 93F
3 Minutes 95F
4 Minutes 102F
5 Minutes 104F
6 Minutes 110F
7 Minutes 114F
8 Minutes 119F
9 Minutes 124F
10 Minutes 125F
11 Minutes 127F
12 Minutes 130F
13 Minutes 130F
14 Minutes 131F
15 Minutes 132F

With the D2flex temperature protection set at 140 degrees F, the light above ran for 12 1/2 minutes on hi before stepping down. Pretty consistent with Mac's results given the light above is not finned, and the board has a good thermal path to the back of the sink. At that point the entire light almost to the tailcap is warm, and the head is very toasty but not "ouch" hot.

Metatron

Banned
folks, as i am fortunate enough to own the original moby ****, i can attest to the quality and power of Led Zep's builds. there is absolutely nothing within coo'ee of the moby **** trinity.

my son and i did some ceiling bounce tests yesterday, with all our lights, he mostly lay on the bed, that was till i sparked the MDT, which saw him bolt for the door in shock:devil:
Led Zep rules :bow::bow::bow:

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome lights. I think my fav 2 would be the 4 cree for throw and runtime, then the p7 for KISS.

Unless the 9 cree one had ALL aspherics. Then it would be unique in throw department. Hell you if you had the juice and didn't care about heat throw an MCE in the center ! lol

wquiles

Flashaholic
Will, 10 minutes continuous running the Trinity is about as far as I'd go. At that point you can still hold the head but it's pretty hot, maybe 130-140 degrees F.

Mac tested his quad-P7 and posted this in the heatsink sales thread:
(brighterisbetter just linked it)

With the D2flex temperature protection set at 140 degrees F, the light above ran for 12 1/2 minutes on hi before stepping down. Pretty consistent with Mac's results given the light above is not finned, and the board has a good thermal path to the back of the sink. At that point the entire light almost to the tailcap is warm, and the head is very toasty but not "ouch" hot.

Thanks man - good info to know. Those last two sure do look BRIGHT ;)

Will

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dennis Awesome shots but you really needed a base shot with a single led light :) to really show what these can do!

Mac

donn_

Flashaholic
Great stuff, Dennis! :twothumbs

The 9 X R2 takes top throw honors.
Have you built anything which equals its lux measurement yet?

I just had mine out last night, and continue to be astounded by it. You can almost feel the recoil when it goes on.:eek:

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Donn,

While the P7 and Ostar lights pump out more lumens, the 9 X R2 still tops the lux meter. Glad you're still enjoying yours!

I haven't built another light that bests it . . . yet. :devil: