RIP MR. Crichton - your work will stand the test of time

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
'Jurassic Park' Author Michael Crichton Dies at 66

(Nov. 5) -- Author Michael Crichton, who had a stretch of best-sellers with 'The Andromeda Strain,' 'Jurassic Park' and 'Disclosure,' has died at 66.
The author's Web site said Crichton passed away "after a courageous and private battle against cancer."

His site continues: "While the world knew him as a great story teller that challenged our preconceived notions about the world around us -- and entertained us all while doing so -- his wife Sherri, daughter Taylor, family and friends knew Michael Crichton as a devoted husband, loving father and generous friend who inspired each of us to strive to see the wonders of our world through new eyes. He did this with a wry sense of humor that those who were privileged to know him personally will never forget."

"Through his books, Michael Crichton served as an inspiration to students of all ages, challenged scientists in many fields, and illuminated the mysteries of the world in a way we could all understand. He will be profoundly missed by those whose lives he touched, but he leaves behind the greatest gifts of a thirst for knowledge, the desire to understand, and the wisdom to use our minds to better our world."

According to Wikipedia, Crichton sold over 150 million books worldwide. Some of his other smash titles which combined the worlds of medicine and science fiction include 'The Andromeda Strain,' 'Coma,' Sphere' and 'Congo.'
Crichton's medical background -- he was a graduate of Harvard Medical School -- wound up being a foundation of his science-based dramas. It also served him well for the TV hit 'ER,' which he created in 1994. Crichton received an Emmy for the show in 1996.

'ER,' which went on to be TV's highest-rated show, was co-produced by Steven Spielberg's Amblin Entertainment. Spielberg directed the big screen adaptation of 'Jurassic Park' as well as its sequel, 'The Lost World.'

You wrote some of the most interesting and intellegent books I ever read, your work will stand the test of time.

Flashanator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jurassic Park, Lost World... :bow:

I was shocked, as I was just watching the doco of him on making of Jurrasic Park few days ago :(

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
A great writer who will be missed. First thing I read of his was "The Great Train Robbery", when it appeared in Playboy in about 1970.

Geoff

Burgess

Flashaholic
What ? ? ?

You mean Playboy has stories and articles ? ? ?

Musta' missed those.

:whistle:
_

Flashlight Aficionado

Enlightened
:eek: I just completed the first three chapters of his "autobiography", officially titled, Travels. I will be reading the rest with more appreciation of his work and life.

I still vividly remember where I was when Isaac Asimov died.

May they both rest in peace. They will be greatly missed.

KingSmono

Enlightened
My favorite author, along with Tom Clancy.
My two favorites of his were The Andromeda Strain and Sphere.
So sad now...:candle:

Michael Crichton and Tom Clancy are also my two favorites. I can't believe Michael Crichton is no longer with us. He had such a way of taking crazy plots and making them sound perfectly reasonable and even possible. (Jurassic park... extracting dinosaur DNA from mosquitoes trapped in amber. Or Timeline... when he goes into the Quantom Physics of time travel. Or Prey... the nano-swarms, just to name a few.) I'm truly saddened to learn of his passing. :( RIP

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jurassic Park, Lost World... :bow:

+1

Two of my favorites.

Crichton's books also have a rather significant place in my heart - on many of my vacations with my father, for some reason I always remember him reading the latest one...

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
oh no.....the world will never been the same without my favourite fiction author ..:sigh:

no one could quite combine science fiction and science fact like him, and all the while, with a gripping plot.

RIP

Crenshaw

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know how I'd missed this in the news! I here there's to be a Jurasic Park 4 next year.

chiphead