Help a newbie? :)

Matt7337

Enlightened
Hey everyone! I'm new here and im also new to the whole high performance flashlights thing as well so please bear with me as i tell you my story!

Basically for the past year or so I have been relying on a couple of trusty 3D cell LED Maglites. I have been very impressed with them so far, compared to my incandescent bulb Mags of the past theyre a really good light and I couldnt really complain about any of them. My main uses for em are camping, work (crawling around rewiring attics etc), general outdoor use (walking the dog at night etc), and I always keep one in the car in case I get a flat at night :)

Whilst googling for a military style flashlight to buy I first discovered Jetbeam flashlights and then this forum. I cannot believe how lucky I am to have found it because you all seem to know everything there is to know about high performance lights! What i am now here to do is basically ask for your help in reccomending me a new Mag beating flashlight (up until last week I actually was under the impression that a LED mag was the best light money could buy).

What I am looking for is a real nice looking, very high performance light. Military styling would be preferable. Moneywise I am willing to spend around £60-£100 (GBP, im from Northern Ireland) although could probably stretch to more if necessary. It's gotta be realy rugged, my Mags have stood up to the test pretty well but i now know that there are many tougher lights out there. What I look for in a LED light is a long, highly visible floodlight style beam (Sorry i don't know all the proper terminology please correct and educate me on this as necessary!) with a really well focused white light. Battery performance is important too, I don't want a flashlight that i cant carry batteries to... this will be getting used quite a lot at this time of year. Here in the UK it's dark by 5:30 these days and I normally go out after tea so expect the light to get up to 3 hours use per day, making efficency a real important issue. I am looking for something that will at least match if not outperform my 3D LED mag in the same size or a smaller package.

Through my own research I am aware of a few of the available brands now; Fexnix Digital, Jetbeam, Surefire etc but I figured that since most of you guys and girls on here will own a few different lights from different manufacturers that you could give me more advice and guidance than a bunch of spec sheets from different manufacturers websites!

I know that was a large first post but thanks for taking the time to read it and thanks in advance :)

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
Have you thought about bringing your MagLites into the 21st century?

There are a number of upgrades you could do for them. Some as simple as changing the light bulb, some requiring a CNC machine and a EE degree, some something for everyone anywhere in between.

List of the easy upgrades:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/193434

:welcome:

Matt7337

Enlightened
They're the new 3D LED Mag's already, pretty bright as is (not sure in terms of lumens etc but they pack a good beam for the price) so im not sure they would put out anything more with upgrades or if it's worth the time and effort. I'm looking for a completely new flashlight anyway, which is why I was trawling through google looking for a meaner looking possibly military styled one, although from more investigation I see that most LE personnell in both this country and others are still using incandescent 4D mags :ohgeez:

Btw forgot to mention im looking for a clicky switch, I dont like twistys :)

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're on a low budget, have you considered checking out the flashlight section on DealExtreme.com?

they have decent lights, but you get a defective one now and then.

Matt7337

Enlightened
The triple look like a good suggestion... its not too expensive, if it's worth the money id happily put one of those in one of my 3D mags, but MAN all those otehr lights look amazing... that Fenix tactical light looks the business, especially with the filter adapter (I have IR, blue, NV and red filters for my Mag)

Perhaps someone could give me some indication of the "range" of the beams on these flashlights? (using my stock 3D LED mag as a comparison?) One of the most important things with my next purchase is going to be how far the beam can actually be projected.

Thanks for your help so far guys! I've already learned a lot... to sum up:

-3D cell max
-Compact but willing to sacrifice on this
-Clicky switch
-2 modes would be nice
-Large, far reaching spot beam
-??? lumens (I dont know what im looking for in terms of lumens but I assume you guys have seen a stock 3D LED mag and im looking for something much brighter)
-Efficient to last 2+ hours
-Im a big fan of popular top end brands with good warranties
-Which brings me on to price, which if im honest isnt really an issue. I've spent a lot of money on my LED mags and im prepared to spend a lot of money on something better :)

Also, I will need pointed in the right direction for a retailler that ships to the UK (if, that is, a flashlight i want to buy isnt available in the UK)

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The 3D MagLED has around 60 lumen output and 6000 lux at 1 meter. There is a good number of lights that can beat that.

The "new" MagLEDs still uses previous generation LED. Swap in a current gen LED and you will get double the output(or more) with the same runtime.

If you want to stick with AA batteries, the Fenix TK20(review) might be a good choice. Runtime on high is a bit over an hour and runtime on low is almost 9 hours. Throw is simialr but it should have a wider hotspot then the Maglite(smaller reflector then the Mag).

You can also look at the Dereelight DBS for loads of throw. It can have almost 30000 lux at 1 meter, which should translate to a bit more then 2x the throw of the Maglite. The output should be in hte rage from 150-200 lumen depending on the pill you pick.

How compact is compact?
Prefered battery?
Prefered size?

To our eyes, one light will have to 4x brighter then another to appear 2x brighter. This is presuming that they have the same beam pattern. A lower output narrow beam light might seem brighter then a floody beam higher output light.

:welcome:

Matt7337

Enlightened
How compact is compact?
Prefered battery?
Prefered size?

When I say compact, I mean the same size as if not smaller than my 3D mag... I know there are some MASSIVE models out there so I say compact to keep them off the list. The suggestions made by "ThatGuy" above are all a beautiful size, if they can produce the performance im after.

Preferred battery is probably CR123 or D cells at the most... AA is way too small for what im after... I want something that can do some damage (I dont mean im going to hit someone with it btw lol) as far as light output is concerned. Those 18650's look like a cool option.

Preferred size as I said above is the same size as or smaller than one of my 3D Mags... If a smaller but more expensive light can do the same as or more than one of those (as most of you ahve already suggested they can) then im prepared to buy a smaller light.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
A single AAA battery(1/3 the capacity of a AA battery) can hit 60 lumen(The Fenix L0D-CE Q4), a bit less then the output of the MagLED 3D(it can hit quite a bit more, I've heard 150 lumen, with a 10440 Li-ion battery). The TK20 should hit 150 lumen of warmer white output. The warmer color would help make some colors "pop" out more.

The output of a LED light is much more dependent on the circuit that provides energy to the LED then the battery.

The Dereelight CL1H, Fenix TK11, Jetbeam Jet III, are all lights that will easily out lumen your MagLED and will at least match it in throw. Remeber that smaller reflector = wider hotspot which means less throw for the same output.

If you just want output and small, a Fenix LD20, PD20, Olight T15, T10, Eagletac P10C, P10A, T10C, and similar should all hit over 150 lumen with a Li-ion rehchargeable battery(3.7v comapred to 1.5 or 3v normal).

Numbers*lumen is total output, lux is throw):

MagLED 3D, around 65 lumen and 7500 lux at 1 meter(I was off on my above post)

Fenix TK20, around 150 lumen and 6180 lux at 1 meter.

Fenix TK11, around 200 lumen and 11360 lux at 1 meter

Fenix TK10, around 200 lumen and 7070 lux at 1 meter(textured refector takes away some throw for a smoother beam)

iTP C6, around 200 lumen and up to 12570 lux at 1 meter

Olight M20, over 170 lumen(probably around 200) and up to 13010 lux at meter.

Dereelight CL1H Q2 2SD, over 170(probably around 200) lumen and up to 10000 lux at 1 meter.

Dereelight DBS, over 170 lumen(probably around 200 lumen) and up to 30000 lux at 1 meter.

Output wise, a good single AA light can probably match or slightly beat the MagLED 3D. A 2AA light should have no problem along with a 1 CR123 light.

Last edited:

Matt7337

Enlightened
Man im really giving this some serious thought now... a few things;

-You say "throw", I assume that means the distance the beam is thrown? (again apologies for being so uneducated on these things :p) The fenix website says that the TK11 can throw its beam over 200m... that would be awesome exactly what id need and quite possibly better than the Mags im using at the moment.

-Output is in lumens right? Thats brightness but doesnt necessarily determine a flashlights flood or throw... I want something that looks like a focused small spotlight when you turn it on.

-A smaller reflector = wider hotspot = less "throw" or distance in my terms... So am I better going for something with a beefier reflector to get a smaller hotspot and more throw? I want really bright light in a small hotspot that throws a very large distance.

-I think id like to go rechargeable with my new light, whether its a rechargeable flashlight or a normal light that i can put rechargeable CR123 or D cells in because my two big Mags are very hard on Duracells =)

Im gonna have to get my best MagLED out one of these nights and really look closely at what it can do and then come back in and see what the rest of these square up to it like...

All these lights you guys are suggesting are so damn sexy its gonna be hard to choose one, lmao ;)

Last edited:

Toaster

Enlightened
If throw is what you're after then skip straight to the Dereelight DBS V2. The smaller tactical size lights like the CL1H/M20/TK11 all offer great output, but the DBS V2 is in a different league altogether when it comes to throw.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Throw usually refers to how far the beam can reach. The TK series might be able to hit 200 meters of usable light(as in you can make things out clearly) if you have night adapted vision in a dark area.

Output is lumen, but lumen figures from different companies don't compare, sometimes lumen figures from the same company don't compare. Many companies state at the LED lumen, which is lower then out the front lumen(which some companies state) because of losses in the reflector and window(or lens).

Either a larger reflector or a good optic.

I think narrowing down to exactly what you want the light to do will help narrow down the selection.

As of right now, I'd say the Dereelight DBS might be a good choice for you. the head is around the same size as the Maglites but the body is skinner and shorter. You also get a good bit of throw for the output.

Patsplace

Newly Enlightened
It is pretty amazing the choices that are out there. I have no where near the experience or expertise of many of the folks on CPF, but I do have some experience with the Dereelight CL1H, both with the OP reflector, as well as with the SM. In a word, it's amazing!!

The 18650 battery lasts a LONG time on high, 1 1/2 to 2 hrs. and on medium and low it's just plain silly how long it burns for. The high burn times are from reading but I never use my CL1H where it's on steady for long periods, on high.

I've found the OP reflector to be good for everything that I do with it having a useable range of 2-300' but will light up stuff at a far greater range than that, it just does not seem all that useable. Animals glowing eyes and reflective strips on vehicles and clothing show up really well at long range but, for me the effective range is 2-300', and that's with the OP reflector in place. I just tried the SM again and I do prefer the OP for my uses.

Keep in mind that this light is 5 1/2" long, is easily belt carried and packs one heck of a light, plus has mid and low to conserve battery. I don't own a DBS but from what I've heard, they're on the extreme range side for throw and currently is not something that I need.

Have fun.

Pat

Matt7337

Enlightened
Allright, now we're getting somewhere! The thing that is most important for me is big throw - Searching hedgelines @ 100' or more in total darkness etc is what the light will get used for at the outer limit... other uses will probably be everyday ones just shining light where its needed. I also want a tactical/ military looking light. In all honesty if you ask me the Mags are the armani of the flashlight world and the rest of the models you guys have suggested are the ones who actually look the business and get the work done :p The Dereelight DBS looks very nice... fits the profile perfectly I think :) Seeing as there are a few options with it (Love the fact that its customisable and upgradeable too!) keep me right here;

-DBS V2 w/ 3SD Cree XR-E WC Q5 (SMO)
-OP Reflector

Sound about right?

Does that come with an 18650 or would I have to purchase it seperately? Found this demonstration of it on youtube, looks like a winner to me :D

Also, do malkoff not manufacture the triple anymore? It's out of stock on their website and I was considering upgrading the emergency 3D Mag that I keep clipped in the boot (Trunk :D) of the car with a triple and a "bust a cap" as well as buying my new tactical light...

Last edited:

Matt7337

Enlightened
Hey guys i did a lot more research on this today and have decided on the following:

-Dereelight DBS V2 with an S3 Cree Q5 pill
-AW 18650 (Probably 2 of em)
-Ultrafire WF-139 Charger

And THEN :)naughty:):

-Fenix L2D
-Fenix 360 Degree Bicycle Mount

The Fenix was an afterthought... I cycle ~15 mins to and ~15 mins from university three times a week rather than driving less than 2 miles... The other day the old plastic incandescent light I had on the handlebars came loose and fell off - shattering on impact with the road :ohgeez:. It only occurred to me cycling home today at 5pm in pretty much darkness (there are streetlights but you know what I mean) that I hadnt found a replacement for it yet. I checked out the bicycle lighting section on here and loved the look and performance of the L2D which just so happens to be available from www.Flashaholics.co.uk, where im buying my Dereelight from! On the back of the bike I just use a generic 3LED 4 mode red tail light, but the fenix will be a nice addition to the front :D

You guys are the professionals, tell me what you all think!

Matt7337

Enlightened
Im not sure personally, but I have heard great things about the malkoff units. The Mag LED was good for me up until now so I am going to get a Malkoff triple for my 3D Lag LED after i get whats listed above ^

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys i did a lot more research on this today and have decided on the following:

-Dereelight DBS V2 with an S3 Cree Q5 pill
-AW 18650 (Probably 2 of em)
-Ultrafire WF-139 Charger

And THEN :)naughty:):

-Fenix L2D
-Fenix 360 Degree Bicycle Mount

The Fenix was an afterthought... I cycle ~15 mins to and ~15 mins from university three times a week rather than driving less than 2 miles... The other day the old plastic incandescent light I had on the handlebars came loose and fell off - shattering on impact with the road :ohgeez:. It only occurred to me cycling home today at 5pm in pretty much darkness (there are streetlights but you know what I mean) that I hadnt found a replacement for it yet. I checked out the bicycle lighting section on here and loved the look and performance of the L2D which just so happens to be available from www.Flashaholics.co.uk, where im buying my Dereelight from! On the back of the bike I just use a generic 3LED 4 mode red tail light, but the fenix will be a nice addition to the front :D

You guys are the professionals, tell me what you all think!

You are learning quickly! I think you have made some great choices. However, those little afterthoughts like the L2D just keep happening if you stay around here long enough. So be careful. or your wallet will go :poof:. The L2D is a great light. It was the first LED light I ever bought. It has recently been redressed as the LD20, so you may want to look at the new version. However, you should be able to get some closeout pricing on the L2D which is being discontinued.