Fenix LD01 - magnetic tailcap idea

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Note by DM51:

Some posts about attaching a magnet to a Fenix LD01 have been split off from the main Fenix LD01 Stainless Steel Limited Edition thread to form this new thread. The magnet idea was an interesting one and deserved its own thread, but at the same time it was not fair that the other thread had been hijacked.

You can all blame the Sgt. for starting it, lol, and I was also a guilty party in helping to continue it. But now it has its own thread, it's no longer off topic, see?

Anyway, carry on, Sgt....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone know if the body will have the same dimentions as the old E1 body? Sure does look the same.

I would love to drop a high powered magnet of just the right size into that hollow tailspace. Think of all the places you could stick it to!

Now to source the right size magnet. :thinking:

Last edited by a moderator:

JLEGG

Newly Enlightened
Re: Fenix LD01 Stainless Steel Limited Edition

Sgt.LED, good idea BUT it might be difficult to get the battery out the other end.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic

OK
I found a magnet that was very close to the right size and stuck it in the end of my E1 and the battery does not fall out but a little flick of the wrist makes it shoot right out of there!

Awesome.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic

Does anyone know if the body will have the same dimentions as the old E1 body? Sure does look the same.

I would love to drop a high powered magnet of just the right size into that hollow tailspace. Think of all the places you could stick it to!

Now to source the right size magnet. :thinking:
I don't have an E1 but the LD01 is 3mm longer than an L0D. I'm interested in your magnet idea too...
The pics Bonky wanted to see were of Sgt Led's magnet idea. ;)

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic

Here we go. Wouldn't it be wonderful if 4sevens could source the right size magnet and include it in the package!

I'd like it to be a little bigger around and a tiny bit thicker because this one isn't flush and that would make the hold WAY better..
IMG_0073.jpg

IMG_0076.jpg

A pic of it hanging from the stove hood.

Last edited:

Bonky

Banned

thanks for the pics, I like that magnet idea. never heard of it before. It's not going to mess with the electronics I suppose..?

Marduke

Flashaholic

I remember someone doing the magnet trick to an LOD or LOP. They used it to retain the light on a keychain without any mechanical connection, so it could just be popped right out by pulling on it. There was a mating magnet in the bottom of a small plastic shroud which was permanently attached to the keychain.

MatNeh

Newly Enlightened

OK
I found a magnet that was very close to the right size and stuck it in the end of my E1 and the battery does not fall out but a little flick of the wrist makes it shoot right out of there!

Awesome.
Yes, awesome!

What size magnet did you use?

Why does the magnet attach, when the E1 case is aluminum?

kaichu dento

Flashaholic

Yes, awesome!

What size magnet did you use?

Why does the magnet attach, when the E1 case is aluminum?
Because the battery on the other side of the aluminum is magnetic; it's pinching the end of the light as opposed to holding onto it.

DM51

Flashaholic

If you google Neodymium magnets you should find plenty of suppliers of different sizes of these. Using them in the way you propose will not interfere with flashlight electronics.

dioragry

Newly Enlightened

u sure it wont interfere with the electronics?
the neodymium magnets are really very strong..

easilyled

Flashaholic

u sure it wont interfere with the electronics?
the neodymium magnets are really very strong..

neodymium magnets have often been used as contact spacers on the +ve nipple of batteries to make up the gap in lights,
where the anode hasn't quite made contact with the solder point on the PCB.

There has been no record of this causing any interference.

Yapo

Enlightened

yeah i got a stack of 20 from DX awhile back just for the fun of it...I find that for the size they are, on their own, they dont seem very strong(or maybe my ones just suck). Its only when you have a few stacked together that they grip onto things rather hard. Ive stuck 1 underneath the rubber clicky boot on my jet-I IBS as those who have one know how hard it is to click...its nowhere near strong enough to hold onto anything especially since theres like a mm of rubber covering it, although i've left it in there as it fits in quite nicely and also it might help it tailstand on metal a little better lol

dioragry

Newly Enlightened

never knew about that..
i've always kept those away from any electronics as my bro always warned me they'll screw up all the electronics and i'll have to pay for em..

Marduke

Flashaholic

never knew about that..
i've always kept those away from any electronics as my bro always warned me they'll screw up all the electronics and i'll have to pay for em..

Depends on the electronics. They'll screw up magnetic disk storage, but a flashlight doesn't use that.