High-End Semi-Custom Pocket Rockets

What's the most awesome pocket rocket on the market?

• Total voters

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ra Twisty
Ra Clicky
Novatac/HDS
Arc6
Arc4
Arc LS
Lummi Orb
Lummi Wee
Malkoff M30 in Surefire 3P with McC2S tailcap
Other

Okay, so I want to know what you all like for single-cell pocket rockets at the top of the heap. This was originally going to be a Ra Twisty vs. Arc6 thread, but I realized many of you were still carrying and working on Arc LS and HDS lights, and while adding those, I remembered Lummi, and the Malkoff oddball... kinda just happened.

Let me know if I missed anything. :D

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shouldn't be long before someone's direct-driving a P7 or MC-E with an IMR16340 in something like and E1e. That would be my choice.

SaturnNyne

Enlightened
I don't understand this poll. "Most awesome" is going to depend a lot on what each individual finds awe inspiring. I guess I'd say the Wee is the most awesome simply because of its size to output ratio, though it's not a light I like. I think the Ra Clicky is the best light on that list, but I don't think it's as "awesome." And several of the lights on the list are not "on the market." Whether they're all pocket rockets or not is debatable and probably a matter of perspective and opinion. So... that's my vote.

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about the Draco? Not that I have one (yet??) but surely it qualifies.

What about the Aeon?

Bitz?

This poll seems to be incomplete!

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
lummi raw al has to be a pocket rocket, though it's also a very good utility light, which makes it pretty awesome IMO ;)

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree that "most awesome" may not be the best terminology since it does leave some room for determination of what criteria is being measured. I reserve use of the term "best" for those lights which I have had the chance to use---after they have become available for use and testing.....

Karl

artec540

Enlightened
Ra Twisty
Ra Clicky
Novatac/HDS
Arc6
Arc4
Arc LS
Lummi Orb
Lummi Wee
Malkoff M30 in Surefire 3P with McC2S tailcap
Other

Okay, so I want to know what you all like for single-cell pocket rockets at the top of the heap. This was originally going to be a Ra Twisty vs. Arc6 thread, but I realized many of you were still carrying and working on Arc LS and HDS lights, and while adding those, I remembered Lummi, and the Malkoff oddball... kinda just happened.

Let me know if I missed anything. :D

As usual with all questions of this kind, the answer depends on too many variables (such as the respondent's taste), how many of the named lights are available for comparison, and, in this case, the individual's definition of that now meaningless word "awesome". It's used for everything from "good" to "bad", "pretty" to "ugly", "fast" to "slow", "light" to "heavy" plus thousands of other ranges. I'm tired of it....... let's find a few other, more descriptive adjectives.

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heh, heh! Now, THAT'S a great question and I'm glad you asked me! I carry three lights with me all the time, none of which I would classify quite as "the most wicked hella ultimate"---I'm sorry for using your terminology but I couldn't help myself, it's TOO good! One is a long trusted SPY 005 #49, another is a Titanium Wee (just too dang cute to leave alone at home!) and, most recently, a Ti Cub II (aka "Aero") alternating with a modded Arc LS First Run. I like the SPY the very best and, if I had to choose just one, that would be it. It's not the brightest, smallest, most versitle or prettiest (although he sure can cook!) but, good old number 49 keeps on chuggin' and is always there when needed.

You know me to some degree by now…I'm not sure if I am jaded by having too many lights to choose from and being too picky or just not wanting to choose just one (although I have just chosen one here I guess—at least for now) but, I keep trying for the Karl's Ultimate and, thus far, I haven't found it. One of the problems is that I want it all and that just won't happen. The UI's are either too complicated or don't offer enough choices. The beam that is just perfect inside isn't worth a Tinker's Damn outside…the light won't get bright enough or wipes out my night vision. A most miserable predicament it would seem but, I sure have loads of fun looking although I do wish I could have all of my lights delivered to me as gifts instead of accompanied by Pay Pal receipts!!!

"the most wicked hella ultimate" I haven't yet found but, I'm still looking and I think I'm gettin' REAL close....!

karl

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't agree on grouping the HDS EDC and the Novatac together. That's like comparing a VW bug to a Porsche same designer but still completely different.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
having owned both (HDS U60XRGT-s Milkybuilt and 120t and 120p), i have to disagree, and in many ways i feel the novatac is superior.

You're one of the few then. Besides the UI (which is a personal thing) The HDS is superior in everyway. The UI also makes it too easy for someone to stumble upon the programming menu. The electronics are more efficient. The thermal path way in the HDS is much much better because of threading the body to the electronics instead of using a retaining ring.

Can you share what you think is superior?