Freakazoid EX10's or design change?

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 3 Cree Q5 EX10's , 1 was from the first run and 2 were just purchased.
The first run has been used hard from day one and is a pocket rocket hand warmer.
The second and third are exhibiting different characteristics. They are both noticeably dimmer on high, I would estimate it at 75-80% of high on the first run unit. They run cooler and the kicker is I am getting 2.5+ times the runtime over the first run unit on high.

When I got the first of the recent 2 units I was a bit disappointed at the output on high and immediately noticed it ran cooler. Then I ordered a another to see if it is a fluke, well for the 2 I just received it is not a fluke.

The PCB's are different as seen below, first run on left, newer on right.

I contacted Edgetac to see if they lowered the high on the newer units and they said no, that the decreased output was probably from a higher VF emitter. If that were the case wouldn't the runtime match the first run unit, or even be less?

I ran a comparison temp test measuring it at the bezel near the LE.
Results below are in Degrees F.

I am just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this or are these 2 freakazoids.

I am now pleased with the output on high of the newer units and love the massive gain in runtime.:naughty:

Last edited:

dooz

Newly Enlightened
which emitter you have in your 3 EX10s?
Cree's Q5 or Osram's Golden Dragon?

You can visually tell by looking at the led. The GD is smaller then the Q5. GD is actually more efficient, runs cooler, and appearently has a lower output then Q5s.

That might explain everthing :eek:oo:

JF

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
The first one runs at spec, it has a runtime of 80-90 minutes. Anyone who remembers the true TW4 setup, these could be a rare perfect mix of circuit/emitter VF thus creating extreme run times?

I still can't believe what I am seeing, it reminds me of when I found my first true TW4.

d_rasp

Newly Enlightened
Am I missing it or have you said what the run times are for the 3 lights? How close to each other are the two newest lights? The board on my EX10 is the same as your newer lights, curious to see how close run times, etc. are.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
I posted on this manufacturing difference in this thread awhile back.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2567085#post2567085

I've never done any runtimes tests comparing the two as I don't have the newer version type in my possession anymore. Just the (original) older one.

Your runtime differences seem extreme. That's wild! I'd be interested in seeing someone else's comparison that also have both versions. :popcorn:

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
Come to think of it, yeah, I think mine was brighter. But now, I also have a D10 and it's noticeably brighter than my EX10. Not sure where that leaves those two second generation EX's. :thinking:

My D10 has the 4 chips showing on the board. Not sure if there was an early model with only a single chip showing or not. It's very bright on a fresh 14500. Very close to my D20. The EX10 isn't.

brucec

Enlightened
Did you try to set the first run light to the same output level as the later run lights (approximately by a light meter) and measure the runtime of the first run unit to see if you also get 2-2.5x the runtime? That might be interesting..

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
^ +1, just what I had been thinking.

FWIW, my two first run EX10's are real screamers, and get fairly warm if left run at max, and are brighter than my two first run D10's.

dabear95

Newly Enlightened
I ordered two of the newer ones (one for a gift) and there was a large difference in performance/run time between the two.

Jason

jbviau

Enlightened
Beamhead, my experience was the opposite re: brightness at least (not sure about runtime). My first EX10 looked like the picture on the left in your post and was dimmer overall. The low was really low, which I liked. My second EX10 looked like the picture on the right and was brighter overall in all settings. Not sure if there's any systematicity here...

litetube

Enlightened
Recently got an EX10 Cree version. High was not very brite. Quite disappointing actually. I didnt do runtime. A GD version Ex10 is actually brighter than it is . So the LED lottery is definitley in full play .
Also, it seems there is really no guarantee that you will get an "improved" version with a thicker bezel and threads. Though it has been stated that NC has fixed the thin thread wall issues there still seems to be an inventory of the earlier version out there that have to be worked thru and sold before you will definitley get the improved versions. Considering you pay the same $ for both I would rather know 100% what I am getting. Its kinda like ordering an Ipod Touch Ver2 and getting a Ver1 instead

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was a bit disappointed by the output of the 2 newer EX10's until I saw the increased runtime.
I just got an EX10 GD and it appears to be the old body style although my trit slotted piston will not fit it.:candle:
Of the 4 that I have 2 appear to be "new"/different as the le sits lower minimizing the piston play and they had the fatter bezel rings.
The GD is definitely brighter than the 2 newer ones and is as bright as my first run Cree pocket warmer/rocket.

Last edited: