Looking for C-size flashlight

evenchaos

Newly Enlightened
Greetings Folks :wave:,

I've been lurking here for quite sometime but now I need your help. I'm looking for a led flashlight that takes C-sized cells (preferable AW li-ion, but NiMH is also an option). I know there are two long ones on DX but I was hoping to find something better and shorter. I would prefer a light with a floody & very bright beam (e.g. using a P7 or MC-E), regulated output and at least two brightness modes. It seems that everything is using 18650 cells these days. Don't get me wrong - I like that format for compact flashlight, but for extended operation the battery lifetime is somewhat too short to drive anything on high brightness and doesn't cut it for driving a P7 on max output for any appreciable length of time (not to mention the fact that batteries get very warm). OTOH, C-sized flashlight doesn't feel too big as when holding a D-sized one yet packs more more power and doesn't waste space like with the triple cell cartridges. So is there anything on the market that would fit the bill?

Thanks!

youreacrab

Enlightened
C-cell maglite with malkoff triple cree xre drop in. About $165 total. 450 to 750 lumens depending on number of cells.

Greetings Folks :wave:,

I've been lurking here for quite sometime but now I need your help. I'm looking for a led flashlight that takes C-sized cells (preferable AW li-ion, but NiMH is also an option). I know there are two long ones on DX but I was hoping to find something better and shorter. I would prefer a light with a floody & very bright beam (e.g. using a P7 or MC-E), regulated output and at least two brightness modes. It seems that everything is using 18650 cells these days. Don't get me wrong - I like that format for compact flashlight, but for extended operation the battery lifetime is somewhat too short to drive anything on high brightness and doesn't cut it for driving a P7 on max output for any appreciable length of time (not to mention the fact that batteries get very warm). OTOH, C-sized flashlight doesn't feel too big as when holding a D-sized one yet packs more more power and doesn't waste space like with the triple cell cartridges. So is there anything on the market that would fit the bill?

Thanks!

mdocod

Flashaholic
The Task-Force 2C sold at Lowes comes with a cree emitter, TIR optic, runs pretty good on a pair of C alkaline or NIMH cells... It can be dissembled and modded a little bit, not sure if there is any way to do a P7 mod with it. ...

If you are dead set on a P7 mod, I think your best bet is a multi-C mag, with a Tower module (there are some P7 specific tower modules being sold over on CPFMP last I checked), you can then either basically direct drive the P7 on 3 NIMH cells, (might have to check current flow and introduce a small resistor in the circuit).... or check into the latest P7 driver options and maybe use 4 C cells instead.

Eric

evenchaos

Newly Enlightened
The Task-Force 2C sold at Lowes comes with a cree emitter, TIR optic, runs pretty good on a pair of C alkaline or NIMH cells... It can be dissembled and modded a little bit, not sure if there is any way to do a P7 mod with it. ...

Hmm, the Task-Force 2C looks interesting, will need to dig more info up on it. Unfortunately no local Lowes anywhere close (or far) where I live and nothing on the 'bay either :thumbsdow

If you are dead set on a P7 mod, I think your best bet is a multi-C mag, with a Tower module (there are some P7 specific tower modules being sold over on CPFMP last I checked), you can then either basically direct drive the P7 on 3 NIMH cells, (might have to check current flow and introduce a small resistor in the circuit).... or check into the latest P7 driver options and maybe use 4 C cells instead.

No, it doesn't need to be a P7, but I would prefer a compact WOF light (no giant head or showerhead). Something easy to carry around that packs a lot of light (think portable trouble lamp).