Help: Upgrade from a NIGHT-OPS LGADIUS

ResidentWeevil

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,
Been a long time away from the CPF forums. 3 or more years ago you guys recommended the Gladius as my duty light. It has since performed flawlessly, I would attribute my continued health (and existence) to this choice.

The only negatives being an untrustworthy holster, where I reduced to carrying this in a lanyard.

I have come into a bit of money and am interested in bettering my advantage. Are there MUCH better LED lights out there now, worth upgrading to (OEM, not custome builds)?

I am looking at a variable light source similar to the GLADIUS (easily set), robust (water and shock), A good throw (equal or better than G). And about the same size (can extend another 2" MAX - it should not be so little that it screws up my gross motor movements), eye-searing max light. can use rechargeable lights like AW's. More than 20hrs light use IF poss.

Use:
Search - rooms, vehicles, land (upto 100-150 yards), document checks (dimming feature),viable and robust fistload (Conflict Management Model be damned :twak: ).

Budget: $180 (whatever it takes to get me home in one piece)

Can you guys help?

Regards

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
SureFire 6P host, Malkoff M60 drop-in, and OpticsHQ drop-in and tailcap kit (sell the included LED drop-in to recoup some funds, or use the complete OpticsHQ kit and don't buy the Malkoff).

For the OpticsHQ drop-in and tailcap kit, I would get the version with the reverse tailcap and continuous (vs. 5-step) brightness adjustment:

http://www.opticshq.com/page/Optics/PROD/Surefire-HID/ACC-DTC-R-KIT

HotPursuit

Newly Enlightened
I have been using the same light for duty for about 1.5 years now. I was sick of the holder as well, I almost lost the light several times. If you really like the light, you can mod it yourself, or send it in and they can just about double the current output. Do some searches here for it. It wasn't that expensive either.

As far as the holster, I recently purchased one of these with the tec-lok and I really like it. The light gets pushed straight up and down, no side movement like the Blackhawk one. It is very quick, and much more secure.

http://www.comp-tac.com/catalog/pro...id=30&osCsid=bf2acfda9c785556e20e629737db1fa8

I have also been looking for a replacement light, maybe one that can go in a pants cargo pocket. We are getting tazers soon and I am loosing room on my belt. I am waiting to see what the Nitecore EX20 will do. The EX10 that I have is just as bright in close to medium range, but looses out on longer range, just doesn't have the throw. If the EX20 produces better throw then I may ditch the Gladius off the belt and carry the EX20 in a pocket.

shomie911

Enlightened
Do you really need more than the Gladius? If not then I say stay with it. I haven't found a duty style light I've liked better than the Gladius. It hasn't, in my opinion, been matched by any other manufacturer yet for ease of use (rotary ring), durability, and ergonomics.

Oh and you said you wanted 20 hour runtime. I think that's a little bit unreasonable. Your Gladius lasts a little bit longer than an hour. So more than 20 times the runtime of the Gladius is probably unecessary.

gorn

Enlightened
Re: Help: Upgrade from a NIGHT-OPS GLADIUS

I think there is a second generation gladius out now. You may want to check it out. Upgraded LED with the same interface you are used to.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Help: Upgrade from a NIGHT-OPS GLADIUS

You can either buy an upgraded Gladius or have your Gladius upgraded with an LED that will be twice as efficient (it will run at the same power and be twice as bright). Both options will get you the exact same light in the end.

Last edited:

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are there MUCH better LED lights out there now, worth upgrading to (OEM, not custome builds)?

definitely.

technology has improved things a lot over the 3 years since you got your light :thumbsup:

send it in for an upgrade or get a second light, either way, you can have more light for longer.

rockz4532

Enlightened
one question, whats a LGADIUS?:laughing: jk, get a p3d or a pd30, its about the same size, and brighter and uses a CREE Q5 led

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two words!

Inova INFORCE

I have no clue if it is as good as it looks but i preordered one,based on the info available now.

Should be here within 2 weeks.

Both the colored version and White only version is available from Bugoutgear right now.

Best Regards,
Benny

rockz4532

Enlightened
Two words!

Inova INFORCE

I have no clue if it is as good as it looks but i preordered one,based on the info available now.

Should be here within 2 weeks.

Both the colored version and White only version is available from Bugoutgear right now.

Best Regards,
Benny
i would wait a little, some new lights arnt as good as their supposed to be

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
Insight Arcturus.
Just got mine today.
It's brighter than the Gladius, same basic size
Water resistant 5m

Has the same functions and is rechargeable

Since the Gladius was manufactured by Insight for Blackhawk, you can't go wrong.

On the other hand, if you can find an Insight Typhoon 2, you can have a Gladius with upgraded technology

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMO, if you are handy with mod'ing lights, then it probably makes most sense to upgrade your Gladius yourself. Your cost will be low (parts cost will be $20 or less) and your turnaround time rapid.

If you plan to send it out for upgrading, then that cost seems kind of steep IMO, especially in light of the fact that you aren't getting the top-of-the-line LED and the head gets resealed with thread locker. If you aren't strongly wedded to the Gladius user interface (which I agree is excellent), then I personally would go with a SureFire 6P hosted light, which would allow you to use a "standard" drop-in available from numerous suppliers. As LED technology advances, the 6P host allows easy upgrade at minimum cost. With the Gladius, if you don't do the mod'ing yourself, then availability, cost, and turnaround time for future upgrades are at the mercy of the supplier.

Granted, upfront cost for a SureFire 6P plus the OpticsHQ kit is even more expensive than a one-time Gladius upgrade. For example,

$62 plus 6 free batteries from LA Police Gear
$90 for the OpticsHQ drop-in and tailcap kit

You can get a few dollars off of the OpticsHQ product by using the CPF discount. If you are still price-sensitive, you can get a SureFire G2 host from Gander Mountain for $25:

http://www.gandermountain.com/modpe...ardwood_Camouflage&str=g2&merchID=4005&r=view

I think you get more of a state of the art LED and future upgrades are a lot more convenient.

I would not get a new version of the Insights or Gladius light, unless you have to have the Gladius UI. This alternative is fairly costly and it locks you in to the Gladius design for any future LED advances. You can't take advantage of the ease of a 6P LED drop-in.

I have an old Gladius and I've tried to open the head to mod the light myself, but I must have one of the ones that got welded shut or something. I almost sent out the Gladius to get it mod'ed, but I've decided that I'd rather go with the OpticsHQ kit installed in one of my existing 6P hosts.

Toaster

Enlightened
I think Surefire UA2 or UB2 is what you're looking for. It has all the features you want and will no doubt have the excellent quality and reliability we've come to expect from Surefire. But 2 problems. First off they're expensive, $280 for the UA2 and even more for the UB2. Second, they're not available yet. It's looking like Q1 2009 availability for the UA2 and who knows when for the UB2. If you can wait and afford the price tag, it's certainly an option worth considering.

andylondon

Newly Enlightened
As already mentioned LED technology has come a long way since your purchase of the Gladius. The original Gladius uses a Luxeon III LED and although you can send it away for an LED upgrade, it will only be upgraded to a P4 LED. This will give better runtimes and more light, but i would recommend using a Cree Q5 or R2 LED based flashlight as this is more efficient than the P4. I would recommend buying a Dereelight CL1H Q5 LED with a smooth reflector. This will easily throw further than your Gladius and it has a selection of different pills to suit your needs. If you're going down the rechargeable battery route, then i would recommend using AW18650's and a Dereelight 3SD pill, which drives the emitter at 1.2A which is triple the output that you are used to using. It also has a medium and low mode for close up applications. If you insist on choosing a light with a tactical ring then the best choice for you would be the Olight M20 Warrior Premium R2, which can accept primaries and rechargeable batteries. This light also comes with a lanyard, holster and a battery magazine. You can also purchase a smooth reflector, weapon mounts and remote pressure switch. This light also uses the latest Cree LED technology - the R2 emitter. Both are excellent choices and will fulfil your needs.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
As already mentioned LED technology has come a long way since your purchase of the Gladius. The original Gladius uses a Luxeon III LED and although you can send it away for an LED upgrade, it will only be upgraded to a P4 LED. This will give better runtimes and more light, but i would recommend using a Cree Q5 or R2 LED based flashlight as this is more efficient than the P4.

U2 bin of SSC P4 is on par with cree Q4 to R2.

ResidentWeevil

Newly Enlightened
Guys,
Thank you for the advise - I am suffering from information overload :candle: and need a day or so to read and research on what you've said.

Couple of quick replies:
Yes, 20 hour run time is OTT & UNREASONABLE. I think I was trying to say that I'd like to use a battery for 2 shift rotas before needing a recharge (which is about 2 hrs max use)

My initial assertion was NOT to go down the route of a modification (what happens if something goes boops - easy spares availability etc were concerns), but JustinCase et al do put forward a strong case for modding...with the caveat that it will enslave me to the basic Gladius design rather than broaden things up a bit with a SUREFIRE 6P. I have never held a P6, I need to check it out.

To the recommendation of adding weapons support - UK Police is rarely so well armed, these items should not be a prime concern for me right now.

Please keep adding to this thread while I do the referencing!

Udhi

TrainCop

Newly Enlightened
The only negatives being an untrustworthy holster, where I reduced to carrying this in a lanyard.
I found some pretty good prices on the Blackhawk pouch type holder and their open model with Mod-U-Lok, and I think either of those would be pretty reliable. That Comp-Tac model looks pretty good, too, although more expensive.

Use:
Search - rooms, vehicles, land (upto 100-150 yards), document checks (dimming feature),viable and robust fistload (Conflict Management Model be damned :twak: ).
Heh; yeah, I remember when one officer in my old home town didn't mind throwing his Kel-Lite at cars that wouldn't stop when he signaled them to while he was on foot patrol.
Re the dimming feature, I just checked the lowest setting on my "new" Typhoon (1), and it seems it wouldn't be bad for that. I think I'll still use my QuiqLite for checking IDs, although its white LED is almost too bright sometimes. The ultraviolet LED is kinda handy, though, especially for documents that use UV "tagging" to reduce forgeries.

Yeah, choices are good, but sometimes there are too many. :thinking: Did you decide yet what you're going to go with?

ResidentWeevil

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
I have the modu-lok. I am sure it is a misnomer - it should be called a "Gladius Catapult", the amount of times the torch flies out of it - and the the thing FLICKS the torch out, not just let it slip out.:shakehead

Not sure what other torchlight to go for - the choices are BROAD. I was piqued by the M20 OLIGHT until I heard the negatives. I haven't got a clue about the M60s and M30 and how they fit into the 6P...the numbers and acronyms aren't helping either! :candle:

The UV concept is good - we tend to run a UV pen during house searches and car searches if we suspect someone of an acquisitive crime. I hear that it picks up blood traces as well...havent tested that out.

Re Old time cops - they got some style! lol

THE SEARCH GOES ON!

TrainCop

Newly Enlightened
As far as the holster, I recently purchased one of these with the tec-lok and I really like it. The light gets pushed straight up and down, no side movement like the Blackhawk one. It is very quick, and much more secure.
We are getting tazers soon and I am loosing room on my belt.
I hear ya. I use the Hindi Duty Belt S.A.F.E.T.Y. System, which optimizes placement of all the gear on the belt, and it still seems like there ain't enough room. That's why I was looking into the Blackhawk with Mod-U-Lok, so I could rotate the holder and light to line up better with my M26 Taser (the older, boxy type) and expandable baton on my off-hand side.
The Comp-Tac looks good, but seems to leave a lot of the light exposed to snagging on something or being grabbed by somebody. But I bet it rides a lot more comfortably than a pouch would when you're seated in a car.