Cub Scout light

killerbees

Newly Enlightened
Please make suggestions. Looking for

1. runtime, and
2. reliability

Just a light that won't bother me after purchase. Want megahours, with low output. Thanks

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
You just reminded me that one of my first "real" lights was a cub scout light!! it was a 2 D-Cell from probably 1987-1988-1989 ish WOW!!

The E01 or the ARC AAA would be good choices. Although better runtime can be had with the E01.. there's just somehting about the "bulletproofnes"s of the ARC :)

Please make suggestions. Looking for

1. runtime, and
2. reliability

Just a light that won't bother me after purchase. Want megahours, with low output. Thanks

schill

Newly Enlightened
The recommendations are good, but those are pretty small lights. Something larger that's harder to lose might be better.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you have a budget in mind? Considering its a light likely to be lost, I'd pick something off the rack at Sprawl-Mart - the MagLED in AA would be my first choice, although there a dozen other AA LED lights to choose from.

-Trevor

flashlife

Enlightened
I'd start off with one of those 8-9 LED, 3XAAA lights that you can get everywhere for ~$3-$10. They'll give about 2 hr of bright runtime and are cheap enough to not worry about; and the direct drive gives a slow dim-down as the batteries deplete. They don't throw very well, but are great for rummaging thru your pack, etc.
An expensive, complex light is a bad starter for youngsters IMO, but my great grand daughter (age 4) loves to play with this one from Harbor Freight tools:
LED1132.jpg

Carpenter

Enlightened
Cub Scouts - They don't need much since their parents or leaders are always there right?? The adults can carry the big, powerful, expensive lights.

My son paid for a light from the national scouting store that looks to be 3 Luxeons in a triangle pattern. The head swivels around and at 90 degrees making it very useful. It runs on 4 AA's

Boy Scouts - My son is crossing over this March. I think he is responsible enough now to have his very first SureFire. I have a 6P with no engraving that I am going to get engraved with his name and the date he crossed over. I'm also planning on leaving space for engraving the date he becomes an Eagle Scout.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Mini-mag with the SMJLED kit, the one on a Al puck from the shoppe with reflector.

Cheap package, 2 AA length, crazy runtime, and bright enough for a kid's expected needs.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi and welcome to CPF.

I would recommend the The Surefire E2L Outdoorsman. You get a very good 5 hours and 47 mins on high and on the low level a lot more than that. I have only done a regulation test on high.

It's very reliable and meets all your needs, but the truth is, there are many good suggestions.

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mini-mag with the SMJLED kit, the one on a Al puck from the shoppe with reflector.

Cheap package, 2 AA length, crazy runtime, and bright enough for a kid's expected needs.
My thoughts exactly. Good recommendation.

flashlife

Enlightened
Hi and welcome to CPF.

I would recommend the The Surefire E2L Outdoorsman. You get a very good 5 hours and 47 mins on high and on the low level a lot more than that. I have only done a regulation test on high.

It's very reliable and meets all your needs, but the truth is, there are many good suggestions.

Would you really give a 7-10 yr old boy a $150 flashlight !!?? :faint:

saabgoblin

Enlightened
Ah yes, blinding your friends with your flashlight, good times. You might want to consider Princeton Tec products as well because they will survive being dropped in a stream, trampled on in mud, and quite easy to use.

They have a new light out called the Amp 3 that may work nicely if you would like a light that he could possibly grow into although it may be a little too bright for his age at 40 lumens but it does have a high and low output option and is regulated(will run at consistent brightness for 4 hours before it starts to dim on high from their website but will run for quite a while thereafter). 24$ range

Others to consider would be the:
Attitude-3Led-30Lumens
Impact XL 1 Watt Led 31 lumens
Impact 2 1 led 7 lumens small task light.
All three of these are non regulated but are still more efficent than an incandescent.

You may also want to consider one of their headlamps as well, one being the Fuel which runs at 35 lumens and has three output levels and a flashing feature.

Any of these would work, it all depends on how bright of a light you would like him to carry, personally, I would go for the Amp3 or one of the other newer Amp models from their website. If there is an REI around you, utilizing their "return for any reason" policy is a nice way to give them or any flashlight a test run.

A fellow Scout

killerbees

Newly Enlightened
Cub Scouts - They don't need much since their parents or leaders are always there right?? The adults can carry the big, powerful, expensive lights.

My son paid for a light from the national scouting store that looks to be 3 Luxeons in a triangle pattern. The head swivels around and at 90 degrees making it very useful. It runs on 4 AA's

Boy Scouts - My son is crossing over this March. I think he is responsible enough now to have his very first SureFire. I have a 6P with no engraving that I am going to get engraved with his name and the date he crossed over. I'm also planning on leaving space for engraving the date he becomes an Eagle Scout.

What a fantastic idea.

Thanks for all the ideas, and the warm welcome. Another perfect forum for an OCD nerdy type.

GK911

Newly Enlightened
You should consider a headlamp. The boys in my pack love them. Great for hiking, camping, trips to the latrine.

One of my favorites is the Petzl Tikka XP: great diffuser, multiple colors, 3 levels, turbo and blinking modes.

Also can't beat the simple and rugged new pelican 2690 with a lifetime scout proof warranty.

I also read great things about zebralight.

If not a headlamp, then a head strap would be a great additon to make a normal light much more useful. A good basic inexpensive light is the standard incan AA mini mag with a nite-itze 3 led upgrade.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say an anglehead modded with an led or a Sreamlight Propoly, maybe the 2aa? Some of those 9 led 3aaa lights don't have needed resistors and burn out, so be careful.