LED spotlight for gift

ackkelchi

Newly Enlightened
Hello -

I'm new to this and I just have a very basic question.

My boyfriend said he would like a new spotlight for his shop. I thought this would be a great Christmas present and never dreamed how difficult this could be!

He said it needs to be LED, cordless and re-chargable. I first looked at snap on because that's where I find most things I need and had little luck with LED Spotlights.

I am looking for suggestions on good, quality brands. Cost is the least of my worries.

Any help would be great! Thanks!

Kelly

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/prod...00000003260410&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=8187724

I'll be the first to post that what you are looking for is the Coleman 530 lumen rechargeable spotlight. Can't go wrong with it. If you have a Sam's club membership you may just want to spring the 40 bucks and get the POB HID spotlight. More than 4x as much light for less money. It's an amazing deal that can't be passed up, at least until they sell out.

DuckhunterInTN

Newly Enlightened
Welcome! You have come to a very helpful forum.

Tell us a little more about how he plans on using this light. That will help us to steer you in the right direction.

Last edited:

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
I agree 100% that the Coleman 530 lumen rechargeable LED spotlight is the best choice. I own it and it is AMAZING. It has an incredibly bright round beam and easily lights up objects 1/4 of a mile away. It runs 2.5 hours on a full charge, and can be RUN directly from BOTH its AC charging adaptor and DC Car charging adaptor for unlimited runtime.

I also own the POB HID rechargeable spotlight (POB = Power On Board HID) and it is a lot brighter than the Coleman and shines a lot farther, but it is twice the size and weight and only runs an hour on a full charge. It also cannot be run directly from either of its charging adaptors so it can only be used for 1 hour and then need to be charged, rather than using the Coleman while it is plugged in.
The POB HID is an incredible light with amazing throw and lights up objects over a mile away, but it is just not nearly as practical as the Coleman. I LOVE my POB HID, but for you I think the Coleman might be a better choice.

Home Depot sells a 3 watt Husky brand LED rechargeable spotlight for $30, but it wouldn't be nearly as bright as the Coleman because the Coleman is around 9 watts.

Refer to qwertyydude's link for where to buy the Coleman.

Hope this is helpful!

ackkelchi

Newly Enlightened
Hi All -
Thanks for the great advice. He will mostly be using this light to look inside of my car or basic use around the house.

We do go "up north" once in a while and could use it up there as well.

Hande held and not too heavy would be great!

oronocova

Enlightened
As far as lights I have I would recommend the Solarforce L2 for price vs quality. There is a neat kit for sale for a decent price now on ebay that has the flashlight and a lantern type head you can put on it as well which might be good if you are talking about using the light for working on a vehicle. The only draw back for some people is that it uses CR123 batteries which are expensive in general, unless you buy them online from a dealer such as lighthound.com or the like.

This light is not exactly a "spot light" but you could spot a deer at 100yards easily with it, but it wouldn't be overkill for looking around inside a car or inside the house either. For the size of the light anyone you give it to will be astounded at how bright it is.

hth