Why is CPF and flashlights in general so addicting?

hammerface

Newly Enlightened
What's the deal? I mean, I was doing good for a few months as I stayed off here but I"m back on reading everyday and all I want to do is buy buy buy!! :shrug:

While I don't actually "NEED" more lights, they're just so cool and the fact that there are so many different kinds and you can get them relatively cheap that half the fun for me is reading reviews, hunting for the next best light at the best price...

Why is it so addicting? If I told most "normal" people how much time I spend reading about flashlights they'd think I'd lost my mind... :ohgeez:

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1, it is fun indeed. It is a problem compulsion though, as once you like lights you start to want the very best for your needs vs. budget and its so very difficult to establish your needs until you've tried a few (read many!:tinfoil:) lights and spent some (read lots of :tinfoil:) money!

Cut to the quick, read more, buy less, but don't skimp on those lights that you think could really do it for you! You're wallet WILL appreciate it in the long run.

Once you are here and you admit the existance of both money and darkness there is no turning back!:nana:

To add to that there are also some very, very intelligent/funny/generous spirited/all round good eggs here!

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I think the uber-cool thing about it is there are REALLY great lights at all price points. Anywhere from $15 on up. Its more a matter of picking a light (or lights for those truly obsessed) that matches up to the individuals performance criteria.

The evolution in technology is also very interesting.

GotLight

Newly Enlightened

Hello, New-bee Duane here,,,,,,,,

I was in need for a high end flashlight to use in my new part time Pizza Delivery job, I only work nights & a good light is needed. During my reaserch starting with E-bay, then onto the different new LED style's & then to manufacturers site's, I then stumbled upon this message board. My first thought was just how my people could a BB like this have that are active, well looks like ALOT ! ! And ton's of information, modification tricks, preference's, real world applications, test results & the such.....spent way too much time here, Including now, registering & adding a post myself ! !

Nobody warned me about the addictiveness of lights......

" I'll Be Back " ......... Duane

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the uber-cool thing about it is there are REALLY great lights at all price points. Anywhere from $15 on up. Its more a matter of picking a light (or lights for those truly obsessed) that matches up to the individuals performance criteria.

The evolution in technology is also very interesting.

I agree wholeheartedly, but chasing the latest technology can rack up quite a lot of spend (allbeit in deceptively manageable chunks), all for increases in brightness/runtime that ultimately are not that noticeable in real life. It's only when you see the real jumps, rather than tip toes, in technology that buying a light purely on the basis of tech is worth it IMHO.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I think part of it is being able to have something many others scarcely know about. How many people do you know would not be surprised buy a finger sized light that can outlumen a normal Maglite.

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Such a good question!

Ive said this before somewhere but I'm pretty convinced this is tied into our human instinct that light = safety and comfort, stemming back to our hominid beginnings. Maybe its hardwired into our brain as a survival sense...

I also think kramer5150 nailed it on the head - in addition to being fun, its a relatively inexpensive and easily accessible hobby...

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
how about because in most places it gets DARK outside without light so up to 1/3 of our lives we can use light. That means 1/3 of our budget can be spent on lights :D

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I don't know about flashlight addiction, I was hooked before I joined CPF. Why CPF is so addicting? It is due to the awesome folks that make up the membership of CPF, and the great people who do the moderating and administrating of CPF, and of course, best of all, the wonderful Greta, who allows us to do what we do here.

Bill

LumenMan

Enlightened
I don't know about flashlight addiction, I was hooked before I joined CPF. Why CPF is so addicting? It is due to the awesome folks that make up the membership of CPF, and the great people who do the moderating and administrating of CPF, and of course, best of all, the wonderful Greta, who allows us to do what we do here.

Bill

Amen, brudda Bill !! :thumbsup::grouphug:

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast
form, function. akin to fire in the palm of your hand. technology, innovation, design, cool materials. bling. retail therapy. pictures and graphs. rationalized utility. and a place where people are as crazy or are crazier than you. enjoy.

gunga

Flashaholic
It appeals to so many in so many ways.

Some like value, and can get great deals on good lights.
Some like bling, fancy, polished, Ti, custom, exotic, you can have it all.
Some like function, simple, reliable, dependable.
Some like to mod. New emitters, new drivers, custom crafted setups. It's a modders delight.
Some like
Some like to collect: Surefire, Fenix, Lumapower, HDS. With so many brands and so many models, collect them all!

Some just like bright shiney things.

:naughty:

That and to me, you can have a great collection for not TOO much money. I mean try dabbling in Sports gear, photography, stereo equipment. Now that $100 light seems like a bargain!

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
It tickles the same part of your brain that more dangerous toys like guns do, without the attendant social stigma, at a lower price, but with a bit of that "safer with than without" feel.

It has almost Moore's law rates of performance growth and price shrinkage - unlike guns which double in performance every century or so and only increase in cost.

It also has more helpful and fewer confrontational pedantic type people here than live in the gun forums.

What's to not like?

Last edited: