Problems with Free AVG8 updates?

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have not been able to get updates for free AVG v.8 for a few days. All the usual tricks do not work (and some not so usual ones don't work either). The freeAVG forum lists quite a few others getting the same problems but no usable solutions. Seems like it is probably a server problem with AVG given all the clues I have seen, but I am still open to suggestions. AVG offers no tech support for the free version.

Anyone else having trouble? Any pointers?

I've reinstalled, run only the repair function, deleted and reinstalled, etc. Running XP with SP3, Firefox, and on a cable modem. All else functions perfectly.

This has become somewhat of a pain in the neck, since this is not the first time they have had this sort of problem, and I do not want to be without updates on an antivirus package for a week or more. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

K A

Enlightened
Strange. I just ran an update on my end and it found an update and installed it just fine.

This is on an install of XP Pro with only SP2 installed. I use firefox but that shouldn't matter for the anti-virus.

NickelPlate

Enlightened
I've been having the same problem but just successfully did a manual update.

NP

edit: Nope, still having problems, got an error message "Invalid binary update file".

Last edited:

grateful1

Newly Enlightened
I had a problem on a friends XP home pc. I restored back to before SP3 and everthing's ok.

On my own machine, I run AVG 75(XP Pro SP3). 75 update manager was not updating. I went into the properties of the feature and removed the error and ran updates. All is well.

mechBgon

Enlightened
AntiVir has better detection rates anyway, although you get one AntiVir splash screen per day to advertise their pay-for version. You might want to try AntiVir and see if you like it.

On the topic of Windows security, also try the free Secunia Personal Software Inspector, which helps you find and fix vulnerabilities, and fully enable your Data Execution Prevention, which stops some types of exploits right at the hardware level if you fully enable it. I put up the necessary info on this page if you need it, along with some other security suggestions.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
AntiVir has better detection rates anyway, although you get one AntiVir splash screen per day to advertise their pay-for version. You might want to try AntiVir and see if you like it.

On the topic of Windows security, also try the free Secunia Personal Software Inspector, which helps you find and fix vulnerabilities, and fully enable your Data Execution Prevention, which stops some types of exploits right at the hardware level if you fully enable it. I put up the necessary info on this page if you need it, along with some other security suggestions.
Thank you so much for posting all this information and making that page. I suggest everyone go take a look. I just downloaded the Secunia Personal Software Inspector and it found my VLC player and Adobe Reader out of date. Updating them was a piece of cake using this program. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I did the free anti-virus thing for a long time until my PC caught some trojans that the free programs just didn't see. The anti-virus/ad/spyware/etc program I use now is $60 a year for enterprise-level protection; I've seen it update itself three times in one day. When you're ready for the big guns: http://www.eset.com/products/nod32.php , and there's a free 30-day trial..

mechBgon

Enlightened
I did the free anti-virus thing for a long time until my PC caught some trojans that the free programs just didn't see. The anti-virus/ad/spyware/etc program I use now is $60 a year for enterprise-level protection; I've seen it update itself three times in one day. When you're ready for the big guns: http://www.eset.com/products/nod32.php , and there's a free 30-day trial..

Kaspersky's antivirus updates itself 24 times per day, but neither Kaspersky nor any other antivirus software is 100% against the malware the bad guys are using at any given point in time. Layered defense FTW, no matter what OS it is :)

Incidentally, in the course of my malware hunting/reporting, I've found that AntiVir's free version is right up there with the best pay-for antivirus. It's not bad. But not infallible either... layered defense is the next step.

Last edited:

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Free AVG web site seems to have the updates ironed out now.

By the way, most other problems I have had with free AVG were fixed by using the "repair" option on the install menu, but not this one.

I had tried to update automatically and manually pretty much around the clock, and from the posts I have seen on other sites it doesn't look like I was alone, but it is working now both for updates and scans.

I'll look over other software, too.

Thanks for the advice.